How to hack a car stereo to accept a 1/8 in. port (iphone)??

MikeFairbanks

100 kW
I only drive about fifteen minutes each way to work. My phone has a lot of music but my car stereo is about ten years old so it only does FM/AM and CDs.

I never use the CD player so was wondering how difficult it would be with common household wires and such (I have a few busted laptops, VCRs, etc. lying around the garage) to hack my car stereo so that the Iphone takes over the CD player's feed in.

Anybody ever do this?

Thanks

Here's an article for reference. I'm wondering a bit about how he did this (even though the directions are there).

http://imgur.com/a/qyRSX/layout/blog

His radio has an axillary input, with any inputs it would be impossible without dismantling the radio and hacking in somewhere.

Hey Mike,

Yes, I did this exact thing to several cars now. What kind of car do you have?

On my GM car it was no problem at all tapping into the leads of the ribbon cable for the CD player to the motherboard. I just used a pair of old headphones to test the leads and figure out which wires were the signal. I used this jack from Radio shack and mounted it in my console:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451

This thing is great because when there is nothing plugged into it, it still passes through the audio from my CD player as normal. When you plug something into it (I use a bluetooth receiver to give my car full bluetooth capability) it will over ride the CD player. It is very simple and I am happy to guide you through the process depending on your car.

Some cars are much, much harder though, on our Volvo XC90, the entire thing is wired with fiber, so I had to tap directly into the D/A convertor in the amplifier and it required some extra components to match the signal voltage of the phone. The downside to this method is that the head unit in the dashboard does not control the volume anymore, but one cool thing is that you can simultaneously play your phone through AND a CD or the radio from the head unit! LOL. Some people are completely baffled that it 'mixes' like that and plays both perfectly. :)

So, what kind of car do you have? You can do it for about $5 in parts and I found a great bluetooth receiver that does both music and voice calls with cellphones for $15.

FM transmitter is how I did it for years. Simple but doesn't work so good where there are few empty spots on the airwaves. Get one that has tenability to all frequencies

Works in any car you may happen to be in

Back