battery charger question

gregut

10 µW
after approx. 230 charge cycles my charger quit. It's a 36 volt 2.4v charger from Ping battery. The charger quit in mid charge and according to my "cycle analyst" meter the battery got to 40.4 volts (normally goes to 44.6) at full charge. My question is could it be some other problem. The LED1 and LED2 are lit when plugged in but the fan is not running and no voltage gain is noted beyond the 40.4 volts it achieved before it quit. The LEDS do not light when plugged in unconnected --- I tried testing with a multi meter set to test DC output and nothing--- could it be anything but the charger??? any have experience with this ??? Thanks for any insights.

It could be a bad solder joint on the charge lead. Does the status of the LEDS change when you plug / unplug the lead from the battery? Try wiggling each end of the lead with the charger on & plugged in to the battery. Sometimes the LEDS will flicker & show which end has the bad joint.

The LEDS only light when connected to the battery either plugged into the outlet or not. If you plug the charger in-- not connected to the battery-- they will not light. After 230 charge cycles you would think I would have paid attention to whether they lit up before connecting the battery--- I think they did but I'm not certain. I'm hoping it is only the charger.

It's the charger. A common way they fail is the inrush limiter dies on the AC in side. So it can't power up with AC, but DC can power it up backwards to light the lights.

Still just a guess, but if you open it up and see a burnt looking part really close to where the AC wires solder on, that's the inrush limiter.

Others that actually know electronics can help you with what part to buy to fix it.

Thanks Dogman for the information good lead to follow---- I would like to see if I could fix my current charger to keep as a backup--- I did get help from Li Ping at Ping Battery ---he provided some guidance for testing the charger and its the charger--- because of the Chinese Holiday shipping will be delayed a week so I anticipate approx 1 month to get the replacement. Ping gave some advise how to maintain the battery until I get the replacement!

Back