!@#$@!# connectors!

dozentrio

10 kW
Where does everybody get their connectors? I know there are various schools of thought as to what the best connector type is, but what I'd like to know is where can I get them. There is a place in Ajax, near me apparently, but their hours are terrible and I am rarely over that far. Can good connectors be ordered online somewhere?

Today I melted not only my battery connector, but also a set of pliers when I tried to FIX the melted battery connector. I've decided that using generic, non-idiot-proof connectors is just not going to work any longer. Although I'm always careful, eventually I mess up and connect things backwards, sparks fly and I get upset. Argh :evil:

I just got my order from powerwerx in today that I ordered Thursday night. Their 15/30/45 crimper is great! Not cheap but it made perfect crimps on 10awg wire will little effort. I've been using andersons for about 20 years I really wish I had gotten these crimpers sooner.

I have that crimper too! WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!! I figured out how to use it to do the sb50/pp75 conectors too! Its involves some work, but that crimper is so beefy it has no problem laying down the law. I take an sb50 10g connector, start it in the center slot, give it a squeeze to deform the shape, then move it to the back slot, insert the wire if its smaller guage and not in there already, and give it a major squeeze. If its not in tight eneough, I put the fat part into the very back flat area and compress it the rest of the way! I have actually secured 16g wire in a sb50 connector with minimal effort in less than one minute! Like you said, been using anderson all my life, Wish Id gotten the crimper years ago! SS

evblazer said:
I just got my order from powerwerx in today that I ordered Thursday night. Their 15/30/45 crimper is great! Not cheap but it made perfect crimps on 10awg wire will little effort. I've been using andersons for about 20 years I really wish I had gotten these crimpers sooner.

try Rosspar 1775 plummer pickering prices are good [they eare national distributors] and they will even lend you the crimping tool

For me, ring terminals for a bolt together connection on the phase wires, where current is highest and could never require a quick emergency disconnect. LiveForPhysics turned me on to Deans Ultra's for my power connections, and I love them. A female on the + side of the battery, and a male on the negative. That gives me 100amp continuous connectors in a compact package, and the only way I could mess up would be to plug my battery + and - directly together. No worrisome crimps to come apart down the road.

John

+1 for http://www.powerwerx.com/ and Anderson connectors.

I use the plier style crimper similar to the one here http://www.powerwerx.com/tools-meters/powerpole-crimping-tool-15-30-amp.html on the 15A and 30A blades. Both fit in the same housings. I don't solder and it works great for my modest build. 30A blades fit 12Ga wire like a glove. For 45A style blades, you may want the fancier crimper powerwerx sells.

Search for "Anderson connectors" for discussions on crimping vs. soldering. Crimping is fine for me, but I'm not Methods, LPF, etc. building super high power rigs.

A tool for the Andersons', plus different "die set(s)" will let you do Double Crimps too! Marine Grade electrical wiring and connectors really hold up well with the double crimp as it resist pulling out of the connector.
http://www.westmountainradio.com/PWRcrimp.htm

PWRcrimp_jaw.jpg

PWRcrimp_dies.jpg

'

Another trick with Andersons...

I love anderson powerpoles, but I don't like humongous connectors. If you look at an individual 45 amp connector and compare it to a 75 amp version, you'll notice that the 45 amp connector is 1/8th the size of the other. So I double up 45 amp connectors with smaller gauge wire instead of using the larger ones. Not only will you save a lot of space (which can be pretty tight in some cases), but the multiple strands of thinner wire will be more flexible than a single large one.

Say you want 180 amps - which is one whopping huge connector! Just use four 45amp connectors and you'll have a plug unit that is MUCH smaller than using a single 180 plug. When you need to bring all of the individual wires together, use a buss-bar or something similar, or solder the ends together and use a heavy duty ring connector.

sizecomp_pp.jpg

sizecomp_sb.jpg

Plus, they make these really nice chassis mount adapters which are perfect for using multiple plugs.

HS-8_lrg.jpg

DUDE! I had no idea my tool was so usefull! THIS is USEFULL info!!! Thanks dog! SS

FeralDog said:
A tool for the Andersons', plus different "die set(s)" will let you do Double Crimps too! Marine Grade electrical wiring and connectors really hold up well with the double crimp as it resist pulling out of the connector.
http://www.westmountainradio.com/PWRcrimp.htm

PWRcrimp_jaw.jpg

PWRcrimp_dies.jpg

I bought some of these from Radio Shack and I'm running up to 40 amps on them and they are working fine.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104020

Powerwerks rocks! Sent in an order for some more contacts friday afternoon, comes in mondays mail. Seriously Morph, next time get some. You are running too much motor for those.

Ypedal said:
I like andersons !

My undersized 45A anderson connector get pretty hot when running my bike at WOT (although none ever melted like the ones used by GCinDC)

I want to upgrade my wiring to 8 AWG and update the connectors to anderson PP75. I was wondering if I also needed to buy a crimper for those or if they are soldering friendly.

How do you install yours YPedal?

I don't have any stinking connectors!

I'm trying to find the part number for JST balance connectors. Anyone know how to find this? I need the male and female sides... 5s (6 pin)

Back