Since the Sur-ron dirt bike was such a success anyone have info on their motorcycle

flat tire said:
If you could legally ride the sur-ron on public roads without a speed restriction then you'd have something interesting, I agree. But you can't so what you have is a heavy motorcycle with ebike performance but with less stealth and less ability to get away with going anywhere.

Notice I spoke about the Sur Ron White Ghost, the bike that Sur Ron will target and sell as an electric motorcycle with plates and needed documentation and papers to legally get plates. This is the bike I was talking about. According to Sur Ron this will be street legal. In EU registered as A1. A1 translates into no speed restrictions, you can legally ride highways and freeways. Usually do to legal restrictions of maximum of 11 kw continuous power, most 125cc top out somewhere between 120-160 km/h top speed.

The fun part of the A1 plates is in the small print. 11 kw continuous. That means electric motorcycles can have huge peak power and still be registered as A1, making for insanely fast accelerating bikes while still paying cheap for insurance, title, road tax etc. That should make this White Ghost from Sur Ron a really good candidate to use as a donor bike for people wanting to upgrade over time. Ride each summer long, upgrade and improve bike each winter. Over time could be a much more radical bike then the factory White Ghost.

UGeo7Ps.jpg

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
that's great but your honda is not electric so it's not an equal comparison, and race bikes are in the $10k price range so of course there is a price to be paid for the high performance (and frequent maintenance) and light weight.. a pedal bike chassis and drive train will not survive 6kw for long without constant maintenance and the possibility of frame flex and breaking.. you would also need to assemble that yourself because there currently are no production pedal bikes in that power range (that I'm aware of) and they won't have 30ah of battery on board for equal range as Sur-ron.. also tangent motor equipped bikes are noisy.. (but ktm and cagiva will be coming out with emoto/ ebikes similar to Sur-ron at the upcoming trade shows, probably in the $6-8k price range).. many states are giving up the pedal requirement for mopeds, motor driven cycle is the 125cc power classification.. light bee of course won't be the perfect bike for everyone and every use, but they do seem to be selling well with lots of happy new owners.. its also not outside the realm of possibility that Sur-ron could come out with a larger, more powerful version of light bee with even more range next year.. just as stealth has four models of varying power, weight, range and legal classification, so why not Sur-ron as well.. the future looks bright for LEVs and electric dirt bikes:)

1) You said dirt bike, my CR125 is the quintessential dirt bike and there are NO equivalent electric bikes currently thanks to battery tech.
2) My Honda cost the same as a sur-ron INCLUDING maintenance to get it in good shape post purchase
3) 6kw is not that much power. It's not a big deal for a decent pedal bike, even with stock dropouts and torque arms. You won't destroy a bike with 6kw unless you try to ride it in situations it's not meant for, like taking big jumps. And you could do that without any motor at all.
4. Ah doesn't matter, Wh is what matters. The sur-ron has 2kwh. Plenty of people here have 2kwh of usable battery or more on pedal bikes. It's not a big deal...
5. Tangent sucks, and the people in charge of that company are a hilarious example of very smart people who are yet total idiots...brilliant compact design that will NEVER go anywhere because it's so goddamn noisy!

flat tire said:
1) You said dirt bike, my CR125 is the quintessential dirt bike and there are NO equivalent electric bikes currently thanks to battery tech.
2) My Honda cost the same as a sur-ron INCLUDING maintenance to get it in good shape post purchase
3) 6kw is not that much power. It's not a big deal for a decent pedal bike, even with stock dropouts and torque arms. You won't destroy a bike with 6kw unless you try to ride it in situations it's not meant for, like taking big jumps. And you could do that without any motor at all.
4. Ah doesn't matter, Wh is what matters. The sur-ron has 2kwh. Plenty of people here have 2kwh of usable battery or more on pedal bikes. It's not a big deal...
5. Tangent sucks, and the people in charge of that company are a hilarious example of very smart people who are yet total idiots...brilliant compact design that will NEVER go anywhere because it's so goddamn noisy!

seems a bit ironic / hypocritical to hear someone that rides a 2smoker complaining about the noise of tangent drive.. I think tangent Dave actually likes the sound of the drive or else he would be working harder to mitigate the noise (maybe with enclosure and active liquid cooling).. but just because of the noise doesn't mean that it "sucks" .. when you mentioned 6kw electric mountain bike I assumed you meant tangent, but I guess you were referring to hub motors?? hub motor ebikes will have poor off-road performance due to the heavy unsprung mass of the rear wheel, not to mention the overheating issues on steep technical climbs and that you have to use mechanical sympathy or help the motor climb by pedaling.. as for mid drive electric mtn pedal bikes not (m)any are designed for high motor power so when you add multiple times the power they are designed for then you can expect multiple times the maintenance and drive train parts replacement needed.. one notable exception is the new LMX speed pedelec (LMX 64) since it has left hand drive for the motor transmission and standard right hand drive for the pedal transmission..

what year is your honda CR?? honda doesn't even make them or any 2 stroke dirt bikes anymore do they, shows how relevant they are in today's market.. Sur-ron was never intended to compete with CR 125, doesn't mean that its "crappy" or not a fun bike to ride.. most people don't live near a motocross track or designated OHV area since they are usually not near populated areas due to the noise.. 2 smokers can be heard from miles away so not very stealthy and therefore very limited where they can be ridden.. not to mention the pollution and inefficiency of incomplete fuel combustion and smell of burning oil and a maintenance cycle measured in hours of use..

of course batteries are heavier than gas and have lower energy density, but electric can still be competitive with the gassers, albeit heavier and more range limited.. Alta is proving that in competition (where they are being allowed to compete).. Alta could make a scaled down model that's lighter weight to compete in the 125cc classification but why bother when they can ride with the 250 and 450s.. KTM freeride electric has increased their battery power by ~50% for 2018 now with 3.9 kWh, 25 hp and 42 Nm of torque, close to what the KTM 250 EXC-F makes.. Yamaha is also gearing up for electric motorcycle production, with recent introduction of an electric trial motorcycle set to compete in trials competitions.. There is also the Torrot / gasgas electric trials motorcycle with liquid cooling, multi speed transmission and clutch.. Mecatecno with flywheel and clutch and Electric Motion has a new prototype that will debut in trials competition this summer.. also Tacita from Italy has a range of electric motorcycles with transmission, clutch and liquid cooling.. so there is a growing number of competition ready electric off-roaders.. with electric we can have motocross tracks in city parks and urban areas without bothering anyone with the noise of stink bikes.. and for woods riding you can actually sneak up on and see wildlife instead of scaring it away from far away, not to mention being able to talk to your riding buddies (or passenger) and won't have to worry about ear protection or hearing damage from years of riding.. and how about IP rating / submersion, a well built electric bike can be ridden through deep water crossings and completely submerged without engine damage, etc.. can't do that with gas bikes..

Also, have you heard of Mrazek RevX emoto bike yet?? 16kW of power, 54volts 55Ah, 47kg weight, 50km/h to 70km/h (mrazek.com)..
28954419_359661697854411_379978658660903124_o.jpg

Just because Sur-ron light bee may not be competitive at the motocross track with a 125cc 2stroke doesn't make it "crappy".. it's a play bike, not made specifically for competition but for the masses to have access to a fun, affordable electric off-road, trail and track capable bike.. of course there is always room for improvement such as liquid cooling, higher voltage and a controller upgrade would make it even more fun and competitive so it will be interesting to follow the progression of this design and genre..

I didn't see that one coming. I guess I was thinking Sur Ron would do maybe a frame kit.
The first bikes used Golden Motors, are Sure Ron still using Golden Motors or did that change?

These motor/controller combos they are now selling are those deigned and manufactured inhouse or rebranded GM or other 3rd party OEM?

Any mention of price?

"6kw" may not sound like much for someone who has never ridden an EV. The full torque is available from 1-RPM and up. This is a relevant characteristic, regardless of which make and model of EV we are talking about.

I can refill a gasoline moto in 15 seconds, but...I also might not be allowed to ride one around my home, due to the noise...

Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Also..."different strokes for different folks"

Electroncycles.co.uk will be selling Sur-ron light bee fully road legal with full registration documents by the end of June 2018 (should be mid June)..

"These have be homologated to DVLC standards similar to a 125cc motorbike. The same bike as the off road weapon with all its downhill off road capabilities but the ability to go on the roads. Imagine whizzing off to work in one of these less than 25p a charge. 45 miles and 45mph, then on the weekends, go motorcrossing down your favourite green lane. Quiet, no complaints and no fear of being nicked. The kit pushes the price up another £450, but no tax and no fuel! Maybe they don’t compete direct with a motorbike, but I love the alternative green no hassle of this mental piece of kit. Do you know we actually sank one in testing and it still kept going? Ran a two hour endurance race with a 14 stone rider and didn’t even get hot! I can tell you now, as soon as they land they will be sold and I’ll own one riding around the streets of London for sure. Just think how something so small will pass through traffic. I doubt my MT10 MC would keep up! 200mm triple crown forks for off road - says it all.
For you in Europe. If it has UK registration, it be given automatic registration in your country too!
For more details, check out the web page under “bikes” Electroncycles.co.uk"

8) :mrgreen:

Sur Ron LIGHT BEE homologated version IN EUROPE..

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/sur-ron-light-bee-homologated-version-in-europe/

Sur-ron light bee street legal homologation / certification will greatly increase bike sales which in turn will help the manufacturer and investors to bring White Ghost to market sooner than later..

SUR-RON-C.jpg

homo-side.png

32294354_1742717842443148_4171631636443561984_n.jpg

SUR-RON Light Bee Style transformation KITS will be soon available at EVE BIKES (Sur-ron France) ..

32657536_587427718291494_2110725513994567680_o.jpg

32804452_587427741624825_257970845492707328_o.jpg

32701878_587427711624828_785435907963486208_o.jpg

light-bee-bobber-608x312.jpg

light-bee-dirtbike-608x369.jpg

sur-ron-light-bee-trail-608x312.jpg

https://www.eve.bike
https://facebook.com/SurRon.bike/

Beautiful job on body work!

flat tire said:

1. Didn't the CR125 cease to exist around 2007? :lol:

2. its cheap because they don't make em anymore bro :lol:

VOGE , a high-end subsidiary brand of Loncin Motorcycles had the prototype White Ghost on display at a recent industry expo in china.. (Loncin bought the white ghost design from Sur-Ron)..

71220848_130562664979539_6410678171808563200_o.jpg

71249394_130562908312848_6213493749348040704_o.jpg

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/incredible-voge-white-ghost-er-10-priced-at-4800-usd/

Back