Headway 12Ah and 16Ah cells appear to be available

webfootguy

100 W
My google alerts picked this up. 12Ah and 16Ah

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38989

Anyone else seen this?

headway.jpg

10c continuous? Awesome if true, but they are listing the 10ah cells as having the same discharge rate (100amp for a 10ah cell). Unless this means there has been changes made (cathode maybe?), I suspect it's not realistic.

5C charge rate? Wow... bet they wouldn't last long doing that.

Not going to find too many outlets or any cheap chargers that can handle that current flow for your average 36v or higher ebike. Sure would be nice to be able to stop for a latte and refill your batteries from empty in 12 minutes for a 16 ah system instead of over 5 hours using a 3a charger.

Yea I agree with that, probably inflated numbers. 5c discharge and 2c charge would still be pretty great in a 16ah package though. A 48v pack at 32a charge is about the limit for a typical household circuit anyway. This news has got to put a damper on the guys selling the 15's.

This is great news. It gets them out of the phostech stranglehold on the 15ah size, and gives far more options to the builder. My guess is that they will offer the 16ah cell for under $25 considering they briefly offered the 15ah for $22/cell

I see they have a 38105S cell. In my mind this will probably be the perfect cell for an in triangle build as it will fit in between the cranks. The 38120 also fits with the tabbed cells, but the screw on 38120S cell is too wide. For the home builder screw on cells are the way to go. With careful planning I could possibly get a 24s2p pack of these onto my bike for a 72v16ah in triangle pack, fantastic! Though hopefully I won't need to replace my pack for another few years.

Sounds good to me

I'd make two packs of 8 cells each for a 51V 16Ah pack. Two 24V chargers should get some serious current flowing to recharge the packs. If we could get them for $25 each, maybe a $500 51V 16Ah pack can be achieved. Great find...now we wait.

olaf-lampe said:
I got a reply from Victoria:
16Ah's are available now. ( at least for commercial customers like me )
Pricing is adequate, but shipping sucks big time for small quantities :(
-Olaf

Come on Olaf, give us some numbers!

I really want to see some 5C tests first of the 16AH. Several months ago someone was going to send Doc Bass a 15AH Headway cell to test....if it was done I must have missed it. If the C rate goes down compared to the 10AH then I'll stick with the 10AH units.

We're in the process of getting some for test .... and plan on offering them in the not too distant future.

pgt400 said:
I really want to see some 5C tests first of the 16AH. Several months ago someone was going to send Doc Bass a 15AH Headway cell to test....if it was done I must have missed it. If the C rate goes down compared to the 10AH then I'll stick with the 10AH units.

As I understand it, we managed to get 10Ah 40138 cells to Doc but the 15Ah cells were unobtainable.

AndyH said:
pgt400 said:

As I understand it, we managed to get 10Ah 40138 cells to Doc but the 15Ah cells were unobtainable.

I thin someone else sent DOC PSI cells to compare to the Headways...I don't recall seeing the results. Going to check as soon as people stop bugging me at work.....can't they see I'm busy!

pgt400 said:
AndyH said:
pgt400 said:

I thin someone else sent DOC PSI cells to compare to the Headways...I don't recall seeing the results. Going to check as soon as people stop bugging me at work.....can't they see I'm busy!
Busy - :D

Yes - YPedal imported 10Ah PSI cells into Canada and sent some to Doc. Less expensive than hitting Doc with duties if I shipped from the US. A couple of us here contacted Armin and McStar to purchase BMI cells to send to Doc. McStar donated a cell. I'm not sure when Armin shipped one from Down Under.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8785&hilit=bmi+doc&start=120#p138467

frodus said:
We're in the process of getting some for test .... and plan on offering them in the not too distant future.

I have the perfect idea for a test!!!!!!!! :D :D

I think the gnoob means the "send them to me for no charge for a thorough 5 year evaluation" test. :roll:

Did I mention.. yay! 16ah cells are going to be available!

I read on another forum that the exclusive rights for the 16's got bought up by a US based reseller..

Back