Most powerful EV battery pack ever?

CroDriver

100 W
I almost finished my new battery pack.

110 series 8 parallel. Headway "P" 8Ah cells.

DSC07619.jpg

DSC07621.jpg

A carbon fibre-lexan-aluminum housing is waiting for the cells in the car.

What do you guys think, is this the most powerful EV battery ever...?

:mrgreen: WOW... that's just incedible... I love how you have supported the cells and allow the air flow... and very nicely constructed too.

Contratulations and good luck with the race :wink:

So I guess 400 volts isn't for commuting to work eh? :twisted: 8) 8) 8) 8) At 5c theres 400 amps there too. :shock:

CroDriver said:

110 series 8 parallel. Headway "P" 8Ah cells.

DSC07619.jpg

DSC07621.jpg

A carbon fibre-lexan-aluminum housing is waiting for the cells in the car.

What do you guys think, is this the most powerful EV battery ever...?

It sure looks impressive, but can you give the final Spec. (Voltage/Ah) and overall Size of this System for those of us who may not have followed your journey to date? Also what kind of BMS / LVC you are using?

Thanks,

DH

8P110S

64Ah of the "P" cells, which we've seen can handle 25C discharge.

23.2kwhrs, and capable of around 600kw discharge. The "P" cells really have some punch.

For an LEV going on the street, this is a very serious pack. I love it! Great work CroDriver!

What ....No Fuse??????

LOL

I have a few of the same ones in my street bike (96) ...

Have fun!!!!

Ed

Looking good :)

Is this for the Paris round of the eGrand Prix?

Thanks for the kind words guys

jonescg said:
Looking good :)

Is this for the Paris round of the eGrand Prix?

I sent them a mail a while ago that I would be interested to participate but I never received any response from them. Do you know something more about it?

I will race against gasoline powered cars in drag and drift races

I tried to find it but looks like they've canned the car side of things :( The whole eGrand Prix thing was a bit flakey from the start, but when teams are being formed as quickly as the races are announced it's to be expected. The website only displays TTX-GP stuff; the cars are gone.

Hey - at some point in the near future I can race my e-moto against your e-car... deal? ;)

jonescg said:
Hey - at some point in the near future I can race my e-moto against your e-car... deal? ;)

Deal :mrgreen: This would be the first EV car vs. EV bike race 8)

I also plan to build a bike next year or maybe even later this year.

Amazing ! 8)

Can you tell us something more about the car ? Weight, expecting KW and acceleration ?
Or is there another topic ?

CroDriver said:

Nice.
But, sorry to see you shoehorning those prismatic cell boards in there.

Cell boards that would have worked better are the large cylindrical, ...
large_cyl_applications.jpg

or maybe even the small cylindrical:
1SC0100x_on2cells.jpg

Davide

Holy crap, all those cells in parallel and there's no fusing to isolate one cell from it's brethren in the event of separator failure or other internal defect :shock:
Perfect if you live in kaboomistan.

Err, I mean hey that's a really cool battery pack there fella.

LiFe said:
Holy crap, all those cells in parallel and there's no fusing to isolate one cell from it's brethren in the event of separator failure or other internal defect :shock:

That is what impresses me about the Tesla pack design. They handled all these problems (over temp, shorted cell, over voltage, under voltage, etc) in a very clean and always safe way. I guess that is the difference between a commercial and a hobby project.

Bazaki said:
Amazing ! 8)

Can you tell us something more about the car ? Weight, expecting KW and acceleration ?
Or is there another topic ?

BMW E30

DSC07640.jpg

Should be about 400-500kW

LiFe said:

Performance is the main goal in this project. How should I fuse every cell when I need to get 200-300 Amps from EVERY cell in parallel

Elithion said:
CroDriver said:

Nice.
But, sorry to see you shoehorning those prismatic cell boards in there.

We have made the copper bus bars longer on the top to fit in the BMS boards without soldering but it turned out that they where still too short so we had to solder. No big deal...

LiFe said:
all those cells in parallel and there's no fusing to isolate one cell from it's brethren in the event of separator failure or other internal defect
How likely is a separator failure or an internal defect that causes a short inside the pack? The risk clearly increases with cell count, but have there been any incidents of this type of failure with Headway or other cylindrical cells? Having taken apart a Lifebatt cell I'm just trying to picture how that would happen.

What would you recommend as the minimum fusing requirements? Would that be a fuse between each paralleled group of cells, or as you seem to imply a fuse between every cell? I'd really appreciate advice as I'm busy rebuilding a (much smaller) pack from cylindrical cells right now.

Malcolm

webfootguy said:
LiFe said:

That is what impresses me about the Tesla pack design. They handled all these problems (over temp, shorted cell, over voltage, under voltage, etc) in a very clean and always safe way. I guess that is the difference between a commercial and a hobby project.

This is how the Tesla pack looks like

18-1.jpg

I don't see anything high-tech there

CroDriver said:
webfootguy said:
LiFe said:

This is how the Tesla pack looks like

I don't see anything high-tech there

On comparing Tesla:
Each cell includes a PTC, and vent switch mechanism. Cell to bus connections are properly scaled as a third element. Cells are mechanically supported at the ends, with low viscosity glycol functioning as a damping mechanism that closely matches the electrolyte frequency, as well as it's coolant function. Obviously none of these are visible in the image shown.
No need to go further on a comparison.

Headway cells (or others) were never intended to be structurally suspended by their end caps. The heavy copper bars vibrate at a mechanically lower natural frequency than the cells themselves. That vibration will be coupled into the jellyroll. The cell cylinder is supported at the center. The assembly is a cantilever, and will resonate.

Lets assume you put it into a big stiff box. That resolves the external flexure, not the interconnect vibration or cell-level protection elements.

Yes, Headway themselves have used solid material plates to interconnect their cells. It's a chinese company, making shoebox batteries for ebikes.

You have put a lot of money into batteries, and I can see you are a quick study. I highly recommend you hire a good EE/ME with an automotive background to help with the next pack design. Stop looking for affirmation from members here on the E/S. They'll just smile as your efforts burst into flames as group entertainment.

Back