90C Nano-tech

dozentrio

10 kW
Got an order of these today. Should be fun :D

73407_466407774512_515764512_5267676_5695722_n.jpg

Connect all the ones on the left in parallel. Then connect all the ones on the right in parallel. Next set up a video camera, put on the asbestos underwear. Then connect the two groups together... red to black, black to red. Should be fun. :twisted:

Definitely would need kiln gloves.

We're jealous now. Good thing we don't know your address.

So is that going to be a 30s, 10 ah pack? Zoom Zoom.

My pile is getting there, but no 90c bricks. 8 each of turnigy 30c and Zippy 20c 5s , and 2 turnigy 4s. All 5 ah size. View attachment CIMG0016.JPG

dozentrio said:
Got an order of these today. Should be fun :D

73407_466407774512_515764512_5267676_5695722_n.jpg

Omg! Drool!

I just made a video today showing how amazingly badass these cells are.

Think little 3s 4ah pack, cranking a turbo charged acura integra for 3mins continously...

Will I be able to see the flash from East York if I look in your direction?

Seriously, what's the plan with these?

Katou

90*5=450A from one of those tiny packs. I want to see that before I believe it.
(Unless they simply report the 1ms short circuit current)

Or even better if LFP compares them to the cell_man A123 pouches.

liveforphysics said:
I just made a video today showing how amazingly badass these cells are.

Think little 3s 4ah pack, cranking a turbo charged acura integra for 3mins continously...

Oh.. And the starter did not blown?? :shock:

3-4 minutes cranking it seem being infinite time for it!!!

Good to see two really small lithium pack at least already have started an Integra!

Remember this?:.. and.. at -20 celsius with a depleated lead acid to back up too!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvmvrmTMMk

Doc

nice setup!!!...you were going for 20s i saw on youtube?

so that's a 20s4P pack out of these little monsters..
WOT gives you a smoking motor or a complete double flip turn.. :mrgreen:

For an EV application; Have you tested to find their C rating at freezing or below?

I'm curious how they would perform at about the coldest temperature a freezer could cool them to. In reality as low as -20f/-30c could be reached where I live as a worst case. Also curious what kind of C rating they really have just slightly above freezing. The limit would still be the freezing temperature for charging before plating the lithium, right?

The rough, 'could they start the car with a frozen battery' isn't a bad test either.

Enjoy!
[youtube]WkKRqaNPIBE[/youtube]

Ah.. excellent!!.. I loved that!

I really laugh when you powered ON the headlight and high beam at the end!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

Please put a Fluke like the 337 and measur ethe current on that!!! We wanna see hundred's amp reading!!!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Ah.. excellent!!.. I loved that!

I really laugh when you powered ON the headlight and high beam at the end!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

Please put a Fluke like the 337 and measur ethe current on that!!! We wanna see hundred's amp reading!!!

Doc

I made the next video on an old cast iron 1972 7 Liter 428cubic inch high compression V8, and I got current and voltage on it. Turns out, a single 3s 4Ah pack is not up to task of cranking the old monster v8 on a cold morning. lol From the scopes reading, current was over 800amps, and voltage dropped past the linear resistance part of the curve, down into an ugly area past current collector saturation, clear to 7.2v on a 3S pack that was at 12.4v just a couple seconds before. The pack got very very warm in just a couple seconds of cranking. lol As soon as the vid uploads, you will like it. Poor little pack put up a good fight for a tiny 4Ah pack, but definitely got its ass kicked. lol

Poor battery! lol :twisted: :mrgreen:

[youtube]uUdGhmO0HCY[/youtube]

Ah ha.. Big ugly 7L engine !!!! mouhahhahha!!!!

Maybe it did not succeeded to start it but it’s still above 6kW out of that little battery!!! I guess it’s because of the too low voltage for the coil to supply the spark plug?

Doc

Planning on putting these in Dr. Octopus costume for Halloween.

Seriously though, I don't doubt that they can do 90C although I haven't tested. The lower rated nano-tech ones are 25-50C and I used a cell-logger on a 1Ah 3s cell. It did 50A (average) for a minute.

Let say you have 1 miliohm per cells.. that's around 2kW of power dissipated in the cells!!.. 1/3 of the total power delivered by the cell is absorbed by itself!! :shock:

That's why i think it got really warm in few seconds!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Ah ha.. Big ugly 7L engine !!!! mouhahhahha!!!!

Maybe it did not succeeded to start it but it’s still above 6kW out of that little battery!!! I guess it’s because of the too low voltage for the coil to supply the spark plug?

Doc

I powered only the starter lead, so the ignition system wasn't energized. I think it would have managed to start it, but I just wanted to see it crank. :)

Doctorbass said:
Let say you have 1 miliohm per cells.. that's around 2kW of power dissipated in the cells!!.. 1/3 of the total power delivered by the cell is absorbed by itself!! :shock:

That's why i think it got really warm in few seconds!

Doc

I totally agree. It was over 800amps on the poor little 4Ah pack, and it really wasn't enjoying that. lol It actually went from a 12.4v resting SOC to a 12.0v resting SOC in just that little 4-5second load period, which actually makes sense, because at 200C discharge, a battery should go from full to empty in 18seconds, so to drop 25% in SOC over 4-5seconds is actually right about as expected for 200C discharge.

This is the first battery I've discharged at 200C that wasn't damaged, didn't vaporize a tab or connection in the pack, and still cycles at normal full capacity and resistance afterward. :)

dozentrio said:
Planning on putting these in Dr. Octopus costume for Halloween.

Seriously though, I don't doubt that they can do 90C although I haven't tested. The lower rated nano-tech ones are 25-50C and I used a cell-logger on a 1Ah 3s cell. It did 50A (average) for a minute.

These cells don't even notice a 50amp load. :)
Even though they are only claiming 90C burst, I think they might handle 90C continuously from 100% SOC right down to 0%. I'm going to try to setup something to test that, because they seem to hardly even notice or get warm when only loaded at 200amps per cell. Gotta setup a better test, but right now I gotta get some sleep first. lol

liveforphysics said:
I think they might handle 90C continuously from 100% SOC right down to 0%.

Luke.. Seriously.. do you think they will not explode?.. I mean... during the last portion of discharge the RI also increase on Lithium cells... so with higher RI = higher dissipated power INTO the cells as tou already know.. so the cells have his "dont explode" tolerance :lol: .. adn i think it could overload these tolerance and cross this limit during the last mAh of discharge when Ri can often go 10x the nominal average value!

:shock: ..connect...... 10sec...... 20 sec...... 1 min.......BoOOm !,...... :twisted: :mrgreen:

Doc

No one is impressed about me building a high powered Doc. Oc. costume? :? Pshaw. Y'all suck.

The batteries are actually for my lab. I didn't have to pay for them, and they're going in the lab robots to replace the worn out SLA's

jag said:
90*5=450A from one of those tiny packs. I want to see that before I believe it.
(Unless they simply report the 1ms short circuit current)

Or even better if LFP compares them to the cell_man A123 pouches.

Interesting you mention this... I've been looking into alternatives for my e-moto. I currently have cell-man cells- 96 all told in a 3P32S arrangement. The total battery array weighs about 64 kg with solid packaging and occupies a total volume of about 0.032 cubic metres. At 6.3 kWh, it's got a volumetric energy density of 191 kWh/cu m, and a gravimetric density of 98 kWh/ton.

These Nanotech packs, assuming 7 of them in series, and 12 in parallel, (84 packs all told, giving 6.2 kWh) would weigh just over 50 kg, and occupy a volume of .026 cubic metres, giving a volumetric energy density of 239 kWh/cu m, and a gravimetric density of 123 kWh/ton.

Kokam, the nearest competitor in LiPo, can offer similar performance to these guys, with a near identical 230 kWh/cu m and 123 kWh/ton.

These packs don't have any packaging to speak of, so that would reduce their commanding figures for sure.
I do wonder what their lifespan is though...

less cycles than lifepo4 for sure.
some say 500 cycles, but that's low amps and 100% discharge cycles. Hard to say, higher amp, but lower dod cycles. Pack life and single cell life is two different things too.

Back