Ping Charger Crapped Out

jimw1960

10 kW
My 2A Ping charger crapped out. What is the best place to buy a reliable new one for cheap. Nothing fancy, just another 2A for my 48V Ping battery. I see they have one on ebay for about $40 with shipping.

wanna try to fix that one? ping also carries the kingpower charger and also a 4A charger too.

do you have a voltmeter? i think the screws for the small charger are under the rubber pad feet. open it up and take a picture, could be simple, could be bad.

I already opened it up. It doesn't have any fuses, nothing is adjustable, and nothing looks fried. It crapped out a few months ago and then mysteriously started working again. This time, when I plugged it in, the fan made a screeching noise for about one second, then it went quiet. I do have a voltmeter, but wouldn't know what to check for without a schematic.

check the output voltage, if it is just the fan then take the disc of tape off the end of the fan, pop off the rubber plug underneath it and then lubricate with thin oil, or even find some of the special lube they say that radio shack carries for fans.

to check the front end, follow the AC through the fuse and the inrush current limiter, ICL (M&M like thermistor next to the fuse), and then check for high voltage on the bridge, and if you show us a picture, we can show you where to look for the output voltage on the back end.

It's not just the fan; there is no output at all. As far as I can see, it does not have a fuse either. I'll check some of the other stuff when I get home today. But for now, I need to find a place to buy a cheap replacement. If I am able to fix the Ping, then I'll have a backup. Thanks for the advice.

It could be just the plug, having a flaky connection.

Just order a 5 a. Ping charger 59usd plus shipping 2a. I think 39usd. I lost my 2a. 48v at 61.4v But I think my MOM has it close to her heart at her house I will have to come and see. Is the Ping 5a. adjustable as easy as a turn of a screw ? I like 58v is this O.K. I think Ping said if it lights very good. Is Ping signalab ?

999zip999 said:
Just order a 5 a. Ping charger 59usd plus shipping 2a. I think 39usd. I lost my 2a. 48v at 61.4v But I think my MOM has it close to her heart at her house I will have to come and see. Is the Ping 5a. adjustable as easy as a turn of a screw ? I like 58v is this O.K. I think Ping said if it lights very good. Is Ping signalab ?

Yes, order a 5A charger from Ping. The aluminum KingPower chargers Ping sells are worth every penny. Yes, they are adjustible by turning a pot with a screwdriver, but since I use Signalab BMSs, after fiddling around and seeing how they work, I ended up leaving my chargers exactly how Ping set them, 60.8V for a nominal 48V pack.

On a 48V nominal Ping pack, 60.8V charges every cell to 3.8V which is a little high for LiFePO4, but at anything less than 60.3V with the Signalab BMS, the last cell group will never finish balancing -- the high cell groups just bounce between 3.9V (where the charging FET is turned off) and 3.8 V (where the charging FET is turned back on after the overvoltage shutoff) and the last cell group will only take charge if the charger voltage is above 3.8V * (n - 1) + 3.3V = 60.3V. Ideally (with a BMS that bounces between 3.8V and 3.9V while balancing) you should set the charger at 3.8 * number of cell groups = 60.8V for 16s aka 48V nominal.

I agree, the 5 amp chargers from ping are great. My 2 amp one lasted a few days, so ping replaced it, and I added the difference to make it a 5 amp.

Back to my original thread... No luck finding anything wrong with it last night. I checked Ping's website and he does not list a 5A charger for 48V. Plus shipping from China costs almost as much as the charger.

All I really need is a cheap 2A charger anyway. I think I found one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300513518572&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anyone have experience with products from the CampSolution Ebay store?

you can email ping and ask him for the kingpower charger, or look on the ecitypower or bmsbattery websites.

do you know the output voltage of this charger? do you know what is needed to balance your pack?

I've used cheap sla chargers on my pings for years. Use em for the at work charge.

jimw1960 said:
I just need a charger that puts out 56 to 58V like the Ping charger did. The battery has a BMS that will do the balancing.

His e-mail address is pingping227@hotmail.com. Ask him how much to have one of his 5A Alloy chargers shipped to you. Last I talked with him (a little over a year ago) he was asking for $59 USD plus shipping but his prices may have changed since then. I also got a BMS, and air shipping via EMS for both items was $34.

I would be surprised if you can find a more reliable charger than Ping's Alloy chargers for much less than what he's asking for them, and he will adjust the low current cutoff and CV voltage to where they need to be to use with a Signalab BMS.

I have experience with campsolutions.com. A 48v controller I use on my Aotema motor has worked perfectly for nearly 18 months and well over 1000 miles. A near perfect fit so far.
as far as 48v lifepo4 2 or 3 amp chargers go 25$ to 35$ is about the lowest you'll find on ebay.
You could have tried finding one via the wanted ad section herein.

Yes, Campsolutions is the seller I bought it from on Ebay. I'm a little disappointed, though because he told me it would put out 60 volts, but it really only puts out 55 volts. I think it's designed for charging a 15s lipo, not a 16s lifepo4. I was able to open it and adjust a resistor to get the output up to 57 volts. Not as high as I'd like, but seems to work. I haven't had time to see if the lower charge voltage affect the range, but I suspect it won't matter much other than maybe taking a little longer to balance.

my chargers go up to about 58v maybe a little more. once you fire up the bike, the pack drops at least several volts anyways.
I never bought anything but a controller f/campsolutions, so I can't say about their chargers. 55 volts seems like a 48v SLA
charger. With a 48v SLA charger, you can charge pack up about 95%. 5 minutes short of full

jimw1960 said:
Yes, Campsolutions is the seller I bought it from on Ebay. I'm a little disappointed, though because he told me it would put out 60 volts, but it really only puts out 55 volts. I think it's designed for charging a 15s lipo, not a 16s lifepo4. I was able to open it and adjust a resistor to get the output up to 57 volts. Not as high as I'd like, but seems to work. I haven't had time to see if the lower charge voltage affect the range, but I suspect it won't matter much other than maybe taking a little longer to balance.

that is not enuff voltage to balance the pack. $30 wasted. the kingpower charger from ping woulda done you better.

maybe we can figure out how to make it push 59V if you can open it up and show a picture of the layout, especially where the back end provides the feedback to the front end for voltage output control.

Well, the $30 wasn't wasted because it does charge the battery. There is only one adjustable potentiometer inside and I cranked it to its limit to get 58 volts. I'll probably end up buying a better charger later and using this one as a spare. I'll try to post a picture when I get home from work.

does the BMS kick in? If it doesn't, you can still use that charger but should get another for the sake of balancing the cells.

Back