A123 20AH cells source?

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Cell man isn't selling them.
I don't know if this site is legit.

Just passing the link on as there has been a lot of interest. I figure some people here know how to talk to Chinese businesses... i don't!

I asked for pricing on a 'sample' number of cells (20 cells) and then for pricing on per 1000 order of cells haha..
Hopefully i will get a reply in Chinenglish that i can decipher enough to get the pricing details ...shall keep informed.

And no cell_man no longer can get them unfortunately, he does do A123 cells however, in cylindrical format.

KiM

Interesting. I await your results. I suppose i'll save up some $ this month... lol

Linukas said:
Hello,
We have just ordered some "sample" cells for tests, after couple of weeks I'll post about it...

--
Linas
What prices did they give you?

luke is in shenzhen. i've pm'd the address to him. maybe he can strap some to his body and smuggle a few kilowatts into the country?

i've been in contact with the a123 distributor here in taiwan. they are asking for a proposal--i'm not sure i'd qualify so i'm using my friends' companies (e-car and e-scooter) as a front. i don't expect prices to be cheap as they are the only game in town.

http://www.endrich.com.tw/html/front/bin/home.phtml

j3tch1u said:
luke is in shenzhen. i've pm'd the address to him. maybe he can strap some to his body and smuggle a few kilowatts into the country?

Nope, not strapped TO his body... Luke smuggles them like a real (San Francisco) man :shock:

BandDButton said:
What type of enclosure would these require to keep them from puffing?
From what I hear, nobody has been able to get these to puff at all (well, assuming these are actually A123 prismatics), so...probably whatever you like.

These people emailed me back witha price of $45 per cell. The minimum order is 100 cells. Thats $4500 :shock:

jlustig83 said:
These people emailed me back witha price of $45 per cell. The minimum order is 100 cells. Thats $4500 :shock:

100 is not a lot. That would be easy to do a small group buy with.

Now the question is how many people are willing to pay for A123 20AH cells now that lipo has really dominated the high power stuff.

Add shipping cost and some kind of profit for the group buy dealer and those get expensive fast ( $50-$60 per cell? )

Hillhater said:
but i thought we were talking pouch cells .. not Headways ! :shock: :lol:

Square peg... round hole... with the proper preparation (H) it can be done. :roll:

neptronix said:
jlustig83 said:

100 is not a lot. That would be easy to do a small group buy with.

Now the question is how many people are willing to pay for A123 20AH cells now that lipo has really dominated the high power stuff.

Add shipping cost and some kind of profit for the group buy dealer and those get expensive fast ( $50-$60 per cell? )

Just picture it as a 4p HK Lipo, that's $39.99

The HK 25c 4s weighs 552g and is 147x28x33 so 135.8 cm^3

The A123 20ah prismatic is: 480g, and 7.0X166X227mm or 205.6 cm^3

They both have a similar discharge rate, but other than the volumetric density being a bit lower, the prismatic battery holds quite a few advantages.

For one you can expect around 2000-2500 discharge cycles out of the a123 vs 500-1000 from the lipo, another key advantage is it wont burn your house down. No matter how careless you are with charging it.

So a significant increase in lifespan, safety, wh/kg. For a $5 increase in price and a 50% increase in volume.

As soon as someone can verify that these are the genuine articles, I think I would like around 18 of them. :D

Ya, 18 would be nice. That would run you about $810 not counting shipping at $45 a cell then you would have to build the pack. I don't think a lot folks like building there own packs, but I would.

When I emailed them I gave them a bogus company name just too see if they would email some prices and it worked :D I wish there was a way to know that these were legit.

Hmm, yeah, at $45/cell, that would definitely be worth a look. I would need ~100 cells for the pack for the motorcycle conversion I'm planning anyways. 50% larger volume, 14% less weight, 35% higher price, and 100-500% (depending how you treat the various cells) longer life....yeah, I could get into that. I wonder if cell_man could get a better price for them if he bought in bulk.

Hi,

our sample cells are on the way, maybe after couple of weeks I can write about them.
price for samples are the same $45/pcs.
If these are realy a123 cells, we will order big quantity for couple of our projects, maybe there would be possible to order more to resell to Europe customers, than we can save some $ on shipping.

--
Linas

Xrain said:
For one you can expect around 2000-2500 discharge cycles out of the a123 vs 500-1000 from the lipo, another key advantage is it wont burn your house down. No matter how careless you are with charging it.

Yeah, the A123 is certainly a better value.
Also add to the fact that roughly 1 in 10 hobbyking lipo packs are duds. That increases the ultimate cost of the lipo.
But you need more A123 cells to do the same job as the lipo has higher voltage.

It's kind of a tradeoff.

If i could start all over again i would have picked 20ah A123 and accepted the higher weight.

Linukas said:
Hi,

our sample cells are on the way, maybe after couple of weeks I can write about them.
price for samples are the same $45/pcs.
If these are realy a123 cells, we will order big quantity for couple of our projects, maybe there would be possible to order more to resell to Europe customers, than we can save some $ on shipping.

--
Linas

Are you talking about the Shenzhen supplier or the Taiwan supplier? Two separate links were posted so I lost track of which supplier we are talking about that will sell for $45/cell. Has anybody asked about whether they could supply batteries built from these cells?

Also, I was thinking about it on the way to work this morning, and if you compare them to A123 26650's (tbh a more fair comparison), $45/cell is actually very appealing. Considering that 1S1P 20Ah about equals 1S9P 26650, that works out to an equivalent of $5/cell for 26650's..a price that I think we would all agree is pretty good. Heck, the current prices that cell_man has for 26650 packs would equate to ~$54/cell for these! Granted that's a fully assembled pack, but if he could get these in bulk at, say $35-40/cell and sell packs at $55-60/cell (note, this may be a gross over or under estimate; I have no knowledge of cell_man's testing/pack-assembling costs or his profit margins, so this is pure guess-work/wishful thinking/etc), I think those would sell crazy fast.

Back