Help: Anderson connector alternative?

jocoman

1 W
Hi
Is there any low cost easily available alternatives to Anderson connectors.
I think Anderson are great put i don't want to spend the money on the crimping tool.
I have been crimping them as best I can, but it sucks.
So..what else is out there?
BTW I'm up in Canada so my options may be limited. i don't want to have to send away.
TXS
Jim

agreed.

There is a $25 alternative crimp tool at http://www.powerwerx.com/.

Besides the fact that the andersons fit together like legos, the bullet connectors are better in every way.

That's the big upside of andersons.

But i've found that cardboard / plastic and duct tape can get these suckers to be side by side.
Not elegant, but it works if your wiring is hidden.

shortparallelharness.jpg

( yes, there was a big non-conductive spacer put between the negative and positive lead )

I've been using Andersons without problems @ 36v/20amps.

However, I'll probably use bullet style connectors if and when I move up to higher volt and amp ebike systems. Bullet/banana style connectors have been used successfully in the RC and stage sound world for a long time and are well know for maintaining a superior connection. In fact, the often "plugged and unplugged" bullet connectors on my larger RC fixed and rotary wing models seem to be as "tight" as they were 5-6 years ago.

These XT150 connectors can also be attached side-by-side: HobbyKing XT150 (wojtek also sells them here on ES http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30176)

I've been looking for more believable specs for these instead of HK's 250A and found 100A continuous on AWG10 and 120A continuous on AWG8 (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/392462265/Red_Black_Blue_High_Power_XT150.html).

Has anyone used these? Are they soldered or crimped to the wire? What's the maximum continuous current without you noticing them getting warm?

I've used the xt150's, and they really can't be connected side by side. The connection point is very weak. Other than that, they are a very good high-current connector. I also really like the bullets, and the xt60's. Toward the very bottom of the list (a long list) are andersons.

jocoman said:
Hi
I think Anderson are great put i don't want to spend the money on the crimping tool.
BTW I'm up in Canada so my options may be limited. i don't want to have to send away.
TXS
Jim

Jim

Give me a call. We are the Canadian dealer for Anderson Connectors. We have less expensive tooling for them. We carry every color. We also have the high heat power poles. 905 831 5068. We are 15min east of Toronto

I have never used the crimping tool for Andersons, just filled them with lots of solder. Granted, I'm not using them at really high currents though.

I'ave burn up the smaller andersons at 48v40amp.(56v). I use 4mm bullets for 12ga. and 5.5mm bullets for 10ga. just use srink wrap and a tube of brass or aluim for the male side so the srink wrap doesn't get to small and you have some protection. It keeps it round and the female can slip in.

999zip999 said:
I use 4mm bullets for 12ga. and 5.5mm bullets for 10ga. just use srink wrap and a tube of brass or aluim for the male side so the srink wrap doesn't get to small and you have some protection. It keeps it round and the female can slip in.

That's a great idea.

Thanks for the tip.

4mm Bullets are really nice, but i find them a little big compared to andersons and the like. An alternative that i like alot are XT60 connectors such as these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9572.

They are really tough and grip together well and are rated for 60amps+. If your making a lipo pack up and wanting to keep them all hot swapable then 4mm bullets start to take up a lot of space in your battery bag, with these you hardly notice the extra space needed.

ive bought a lot of andersons from Shaun... good people to deaL with...VERY good prices and thgese guys know e-bikes :mrgreen:

Can anyone answer Njay's question from Aug, 17, 2011: Can the 6mm XT150 bullets be crimped without deforming the plug-in connecting area? Specifically, I'd like to crimp XT150's onto 8 Ga wire.

I say No. The solder cup area isn't deep enough for a crimp. I have never had a problem with these connectors being soldered.

itchynackers said:
I say No. The solder cup area isn't deep enough for a crimp. I have never had a problem with these connectors being soldered.
Agreed. Don't crimp bullets.

HXT 6mm will accept 8-AWG but not 6-AWG Stranded. I have on order the XT150s and will try those with 6-AWG to see how it goes.

~KF

Thanks, guys. Solder it must be. I feared as much when I saw these two youtube video soldering what appeared to be only about 1/4" of exposed stranded 8 Ga wire into a XT150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSd_zDLyj6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQWTDK9CMU

KF - I look forward to your report on 6Ga fit.

Lemlux said:
KF - I look forward to your report on 6Ga fit.
:) Also check with icecube57; he suggested that 6-AWG will fit, hence my purchase. HK will likely take 2-3 weeks; the package was shipped on 9/3.

With Patience. KF

jocoman said:
Hi
TXS
Jim
Its very easy to solder the Anderson powerpoles and avoid crimping. They make their money on the crimping tool, so I'd agree. I didn't invest in the crimping tool. Solder is good, easy, low cost and makes a great connection. There's nothing better than the powerpoles. :mrgreen:

Lemlux said:
Can anyone answer Njay's question from Aug, 17, 2011: Can the 6mm XT150 bullets be crimped without deforming the plug-in connecting area? Specifically, I'd like to crimp XT150's onto 8 Ga wire.

I've only used the xt60 and those have to be soldered.

Back