Multiplug connectors

cwah

100 MW
Hello there,

I'm thinking about having the possibility to easy change the voltage of my battery. I've for now 4 * 18.5V8AH zippy lipo:
battery_72V_series_zoom.jpg

I'd like to have plugs allowing me to swap between 72V8AH to 37V16AH. For now gluing HXT connectors together for that but they are difficult to manage.

I've found these:
Screen%20shot%202012-03-30%20at%2017.16.12.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-8-Pin-Male-Female-Wire-Panel-Connector-GX16-8-/150623087535?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2311d5ebaf#ht_1519wt_1114

I have for now a 30 amps controller so it won't be huge. I suppose I should plan for 80 amps for future needs.

If I'm using 80 amps, because I have 8 plugs the amps would be divided by 8 isn't it?

So I'd need around 10 amps plugs and I suppose most tiny plug (and of course this one) should be enough for the current?

Thanks a lot

Um, I am a little confused: You used four connectors to create the job that can be done by one. Is there a reason why you do not want to place these batteries in series with their own connectors instead of something custom? :?

An advocate of K.I.S.S.
~KF

cool idea but after a bit of use, sometimes its even hard to plug one(pair) 4mm htx bullet connector in. They get marred up and that would be a nightmare eg impossible to plug in once its worn a bit. especially if youve had a few . Andersons might be more appropriate?

It doesn’t make any sense. :?

I build truck lines that parallel battery packs: Each 4mm barrel pigtail goes to a battery UNIT. The UNIT can be 2, 3 or 4 (or more) batteries connected in series. It is less expensive and laborious to do it this way. In fact, last summer I recycled my old trunks to create a larger harness for the bigger 78-battery assembly. The trunks were terminated with APP at the other end; where they connect to other trunks or controllers.

But, if you are dead-set to create more work for yourself, go for it. My question next week will be: “How’s that working out for you having an extra connector for each battery unit for every voltage configuration?” :|

How many individual batteries do you own, or plan to have?

I’m just trying to help you save money, KF :)

Thanks for helping me save some money. really appreciated :D

actually, for now I only have a cheap 6s charger and 4 lipo. So my plan is the following:
- connect the 4 lipo in parallel in order to do a bulk charge of my 4 lipo in parallel. So I have a 18.5V32AH setup working with my charger
- have a 37V16AH for my ebike for long distance
- have a 74V8AH for higher speed.

For now it's the cheapest for me because I don't haveto buy another charger. I plan however to buy a new charger once I know what is the best voltage for my bike (i'm still testing)

Open to any suggestion :)

Ps: I'm also thinking about the anderson connector, may get them later

OK, I get it; you just have a few and need to facilitate charging. That makes sense. Gosh, I would stay with what you have and KISS. But it looks to me that you have super-glued an assembly that kinda forces you into a shoebox. What if you created a 2-1 pigtail off your charger for charging? That way you won’t need to deconstruct the 4X header. BTW – I like Zippy FlightMax too; mine are 5S1P 5AH, individually. :)

APP: Though I have used them since the beginning, and there are a lot of them on my ride, I am jaded against them: They spendy, require an expensive tool for crimping, the spring that preloads the contacts relaxes over time, the connections can become loose which leads to arcing and charring, you need a special tool to release the contact from the housing, the individual housings get stuck, or they won’t stay in position, and um… for the money - generally I think they are overrated POS connectors. They will not be used in my next build.

FWIW, I actually like the simple barrel connectors cos they never come loose. There are those EC3 or 4 or 5 connectors that appeal to me as well. The barrel connectors need soldering, true – but then I solder the crimped APP contacts too, just to be sure. The barrel shape means there’s always hard contact, the housing more or less prevents KFF (though not always), and they are nearly trouble-free if you don’t dork with them once they’re set. :roll:

The one advantage of APP over barrel is that if you remove the APP contacts from the housings then you can snake the axle nut and washer off of the motor harness. In a nod to them, that’s about all the words I can say without getting colorful. Grrrr (OK, one slipped out)

Cheers, KF

Just run 45A Anderson Power Poles.

They can slide togther to lock in any combo you need. I used to run 4 pairs in a 'brick' so I can charge my pack at 6S8P, and discharge at 24S2P. Now I just charge at 24S and don't need it.

I've been looking for pretty much the same type of connector to quickly convert my 22S2P pack to 11S4P for balance charging on my hyperion. I'm using 6mm hxt bullets from hobbyking in a similar configuration, but I'll probably switch to powerpole 45A connectors. That is, unless someone can find something better :D

APP:
Yes, Anderson Power Poles. In the past I have purchased from Powerwrex or from my local electronics supplier.

Barrels:
HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector: These are just like what ships with the Zippy FlightMax batteries. I have bought bags of these to connect the UNIT-assemblies of my batteries-in-series. They are quite simple and reliable.

EC5 5mm Connector: The next level up are these 5mm barrel connectors. This, or something similar in size, mainly to handle the larger wire gauge. :)

Anyways, that's my vote; others have their own opinions.
Cheers, KF

Hmmm... Not sure now if I shall get the powerpole or EC connectors :lol:

Maybe the EC3 because they are cheaper and rated at 60amps:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9625

I'm with Kingfish. The Andersons are crap. Especially if you plan on running higher amperages ever. For low load connections, they can work, but WILL cause you problems eventually. I'd highly recommend using at least a 4mm bullet. Other connectors that I've used that work well are xt60's, EC5's, xt150's.

Powerpoles ok for low amps. 15-40. Better options for big amps, like the 6mm bullets perhaps. Just depends on what you are pulling on the batteries which is a better choice.

One caveat, you do have to pay attention and learn to do it right to use andersons. Once you get the knack, they work fine for 15-40 amps. They work best with 12 guage wire or less, so if you need fat wire forget the andersons.

I have been using Anderson Powerpoles since the 1960's and Astroflight came into existance. John Sermos used to sell them out of his truck on the model flying fields. They may not be perfect but for 30 amp max 12 S bikes they are fine. You just need to get the crimping or soldering technique down and they are fairly foolproof. We used to run 50 amps through them for hi powered gliders but only did so for 30 seconds. They rarely fried!
otherDoc

Optionally with Andersons just use the higher-rated larger versions, if you have problems with the smaller ones.

I use both the SB50 2-pole version and the PP45 types, and both are cycled at least once per day on CrazyBike2, sometimes two or three times. I have a pair of PP45s for the 12V lighting system and the SB50 for the traction system, and both are unplugged whenever I park the bike anywhere other than home. The PP45s on the CA shunt to controller PP45s are also unplugged whenever I get home to hook up the charger's PP45s to the CA. Every few days I also do the same with the 12V PP45s.

Plus most of these connectors and their contacts (especially the SB50s) came from other devices and had already seen possibly several years of use with unknown cycling conditions before I got them and reused them (including the contacts).

I don't use a precharge setup, either, just a circuit breaker for main disconnect of traction pack, which about half the time I tend to forget to pull before connect/disconnect of the main SB50 or the CA PP45.

I don't have issues with disconnects or mating surfaces, other than the slight burns from arcing when i forget the breaker. :oops: Typically I am pulling peaks of 60A thru the traction connectors, sustained 40A short loads, and continous 6-10A or more. The lighting system only sees about 2-5A. I do not really have my wiring tied down securely, either, and most of the connectors are where they sag out with some wire and could be getting lots of vibration and tugging of gravity or induced g-forces from bumps/etc., yet they don't come loose or disconnect.

The phase connectors are also PP45s, but I do not cycle them except when experimenting with motor or controller swap-outs, or having to take the PP45s loose to take the wheel off. I do not know what my phase currents are, but I am sure they are often a lot higher than the battery currents above, though with a lower duty-cycle.

Anyway, just another report of Anderson connector usage, if it helps decision-making.

SInce we seem to be confessing our APP use I go wth the 30A version for series wiring RC Lipo bricks. They're very cooperative and modular for that purpose and with good rework skills you should never experience connection issues. In fact, the reason I like them for series connecting bricks is that they can be locked together. Will try to find pics and put them up later today.

APP1.jpg

I use 45A for battery/controller connections but went with 4mm bullets for motor phase wires.

It actually becomes a sickness for some people and once hooked you'll start using them on various chargers, test gear, lighting systems, etc. Properly assembled they're a good connector for handling rated power, in my experience.

EDIT - added photos...

Back