Parallel use of Meanwell constant current HLG 'chargers'

Monstarr

100 W
Hi guys,

i want to ask your opinion on this matter.
I use two Meanwell HLG-360-42A in series as 82Volt->4.1 Volt/cell bulk chargers in my Govecs 3.4 scooter. Battery is 20 series li-ion 4.4 kWh.

For charging at home and work this charging power is acceptable but when I want to use public charging stations this is a problem.
I do also have two identical HLG 480 Watt chargers laying around which couldnt be mounted on board due to lacking of space just barely. But imho ideal as a bring-along charging solution for more charging power when on roadtrip and use them in direct parallel with the onboard chargers.

Question is, will this be a safe solution? They stop exchanging current @ 82 Volt anyways?
I know Meanwell clearly states that HLG is not meant for parallel usage. But I cant really understand why. Constant current charging does not really care about the voltage (within operating limits) and just adapts to the load.
Zero motors use DeltaQ chargers in parallel also?
Anyhow, i hope ES can help me out on this one.

I've been using two HLG-240-48A power supplies in parallel for nearly four years without any issue. Just make sure that the output voltages are closely matched so that they share the current equally at the CV charging stage.

It should be no problem. Close to end of charge when they are no longer current limiting, there will be a tendency for one supply to do all the work, but this is OK. Just keep an eye on temperature. If the two are touching each other, they will have less area to dissipate heat.

Thanks guys. Good to hear!

The onboard chargers are mounted in the batterybay and the bring-alone chargerpack will be laying underneith the seat so no direct contact. Voltages are also dialled to 41 Volt per HLG charger so identically matched which then should not lead to problems. :D

I will post my experience with the setup in a while.

The HLG-600H-54A units I have work fine in parallel, delivering double the current with equal heat in both chargers, when tuned to the same voltage.

They also work fine with two pair of paralleled units in series, for doulbe the voltage and double the current.

amberwolf said:
The HLG-600H-54A units I have work fine in parallel, delivering double the current with equal heat in both chargers, when tuned to the same voltage.

They also work fine with two pair of paralleled units in series, for doulbe the voltage and double the current.

Yes I already use them in series for a few years now in my previous setup (2x HLG-240-42A's dialled to 82 V) but never paralled them. Which I will do in the new higher power application.

Yesterday I found out they can run quite warm without decent airflow though. Two 360 Watt models are mounted directly below black abs bodywork without much space so I reckon in summertime the temperature will possibly cause problems.
I probably should install some fans to force some convection.

They need free air to cool properly. But as long as you have a load on them like a battery you can run them in parrallel. Just make sure the voltages are EXACTLY the same.

Back