12v lithium battery type (with photos)

unclejemima

100 W
My brother has this 12V lithium battery and he was asking me if he can charge it with the power leads (+ & -) as he does not have the original charger anymore. I told him I don't know but will ask the amazing community that is endless-sphere!

I have a good RC hobby charger that can select 1S, 2S, 3S, etc. I'm guessing this is a 3S...but not sure.

Hes also wondering if he can use it to power the lights on his motorycle (its a small 50cc bike that does not have a electric start so draws only power for lights) but I'm worried the charging system on the bike (its a 12v charging system) might damage the battery cause its lithium?

The outputs of the battery are TINY...so I doing this this can draw much (5amp or less). It looks like it has an onboard BMS...what is good. There is a switch to turn the battery on and off.

Any input and suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6994.JPG
    IMG_6994.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_6995.JPG
    IMG_6995.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_6996.JPG
    IMG_6996.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 743
What was its original purpose; in whatever device it was meant for? That might tell you enough about its capabilities to know if it could be used for the purpose.

A starter battery is going to have to deliver bursts of significant current, and it would also have to be able to be charged by the onboard alternator at whatever voltage it outputs, and it has to be able to be safely charged thru the discharge connector. If the BMS uses separate connectors for each, it means it has no way to shut off to prevent overcharge if the alternator voltage is higher than the full battery voltage.

If it has separate connectors, then you could put a diode on each one, to prevent current flow into the output, and prevent output from the charge port. The output diode has to be able to handle the full current demand of startup.

How much current it has to deliver on startup, I dont know, but you can measure that with a wattmeter or clamping current meter on the existing starter battery first.

It has overcharge protection, but you won't be able to charge it too fast, it suppose to be charged with a small 12.6 volt wallwart less than 1 amp. You charge it with too high amps it might go out of balance and trigger the bms, it won't get a full charge. Slow charge is better for these small battery packs.

Below are the specs.

This Rechargeable battery is a 12V 8000mAh Li-ion battery and it is specially designed for powering the system device which use 12V DC power. You can use this battery to power our powerful wireless transmitter,CCTV camera and so on.
Super storage capacity.
With working indicator.
Large mAh value means long battery life. Built-in ON/OFFswitch, simple to use. Insulation shell, the use of more secure.
With short circuit, overload, over-charge protection. stable performance, durable.

Battery Charging Method:
Open the battery switch to the "ON" at the red light on the charger indicates when charging starts (if battery is full charge,
the power green light will remain unchanged); charging time is generally more than 8 hours; until the plug's red light becomes green,
the battery is fully charged.

Specifications
Name:Li-ion Battery
Mode:DC 12800
Battery Size:129*66*24(L * W * T)
Exterior color: Blue
Capacity: 8000mAh
Battery type: Rechargeable Li-on battery
Input voltage: 12.6V DC
Output voltage: 12.6-10.8V DC
Output current:1-2.4A
Interface specification: 5.5 * 2.1mm
Product life: circulation charge and discharge more than 500 times

Applications:
Wireless cameras, personal processing systems, PDA personal data assistants,Personal communication systems, walkie-talkies,
digital cameras, camcorders,video cameras, Bluetooth devices, CD players, MD layers,Portable DVD, MP3 player, smart card,
aviation model and so on can be used to 12V power in various fields.

NOTE:
1. Before using this product, please connect the equipment, and then power work.
2. This product is strictly prohibited rain water, the other building materials, super-wave, ultra-high temperature environment will have an impact on product work.
3. This product will produce micro-heat, is a normal phenomenon.
4. Note that the use of the process do not let the battery by a strong squeeze and collision.
5. The battery is best not to use more than a year, to avoid capacity decline.
6. Keep away from high temperature, stored in a cool dry place. To reduce the risk of fire or burns.
7. Do not attempt to open, disassemable or service the battery pack.
8. Do not crush, puncture, short extemal contacts of dispose of in fire or water above 60℃(140℉)
9. Please turn on the switch when charge for this item. And if you want to measure the voltage,suggest using pointer multimeter.
Because digital measure table easily jump table. If the item is not 10.8-12.6V,please turn on the switch.

Max output is only 2.4 amps, it can power some small LED lights.

Thanks guys. Good info.

Just curious...if the wall wart charger is gone, can I charge it via the power leads (+&-)? I can set my hobby RC charger to less than 1 amp charge rate.

Maybe... I've seen some BMSs where the charge and output wires went to the same spots on the board, and it didn't matter. But on others they go to different spots, and could either work fine, or bypass the BMS so the cells aren't balancing, or maybe damage the BMS, with no real way to tell ahead of time from the outside.

I have some packs similar to that. Most likely it is 3s and you could charge it with any 3s charger that has a current limit less than about 2A. 12.6v maximum charging voltage.

unclejemima said:
Just curious...if the wall wart charger is gone, can I charge it via the power leads (+&-)?
Keep in mind what I said in the post above about the charge vs discharge port:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1373354#p1373175

Back