Plug-In Electric Car Sales Booming Worldwide

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
http://insideevs.com/plug-electric-car-sales-booming-worldwide/

Charged EVs noted that despite the US plug-in electric car market being flat this year, worldwide sales of plug-ins are booming.

We assembled the graph of plug-in car sales in the world and US using our exclusive InsideEVs Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard.

As it turns out, this year sales are growing every month by 27-73% year-over-year. Most of the growth comes from China and several European countries.

The market peaked in March at some 42,000, but we should be prepared for 50,000+ later this year.

We also hope that by the end of this year or in the first half of 2016, a manufacturer will achieve 10,000 sales a month. Will this be Nissan, Mitsubishi, BYD, Volkswagen or Tesla? We don’t know.

I don't know the liter/Euro conversion off-hand, but...there are a few countries in Europe where gasoline is $8/gallon. If a family has two vehicles, it can make a lot of sense for many of them to have one of their vehicles be an EV...

Dramatic improvements in batteries looming in the next five years.

I definitely think that they are the wave of the future, Sales in the USA should improve once people get educated about their advantages.

I have a 2016 Chevy Volt on order. Can't wait to get it, should be here about Sept.1st and will get along great with the rooftop solar I just installed.

They are priced at $34k and come with a $9k state & fed tax break. Even if you don't have solar and buy off the grid, in my area the electricity costs equal ~.80 cents for the equivalent of a gallon of fuel. Will go over 50 miles/charge and 1 kWh should take you about 4.5 miles.

spinningmagnets said:
I don't know the liter/Euro conversion off-hand, but...there are a few countries in Europe where gasoline is $8/gallon. If a family has two vehicles, it can make a lot of sense for many of them to have one of their vehicles be an EV ...
True..... But in some of those same countries electricity can be getting up towards $1 /kWhr ! :shock:

nicobie said:
:shock:

I pay $.14 when needed from the grid. @ $1 kWh rooftop solar would pay off in less than 2 years!
Sure, for household use.
But the same doesn't work for car fuel savings.
That 4.5 miles per kWr quoted above is roughly what you would travel on 0.5 lts of gas , which @ $8 gal would be about the same at $1 worth !. So, you see the fuel cost savings are not an attraction.
And if you used solar for ( overnight ?) car charging, you would have to invest in a much bigger solar system together with a battery storage bank sized to feed the car overnight....very expensive !
A 10,000 mile per year average use of the car would only show a $2000 annual return from fuel cost savings.

Actually in the US it is just the opposite. Take a look at the GMC (Giant 'Merican Cars) web site. It's all full sized trucks and SUVs. 6-8 months ago, 25% of all the hybrid/plugin vehicles traded in, were traded for SUVs.

"Buying Habits of Americans"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64961

Hillhater said:
nicobie said:
:shock:

I pay $.14 when needed from the grid. @ $1 kWh rooftop solar would pay off in less than 2 years!
Sure, for household use.
But the same doesn't work for car fuel savings.
That 4.5 miles per kWr quoted above is roughly what you would travel on 0.5 lts of gas , which @ $8 gal would be about the same at $1 worth !. So, you see the fuel cost savings are not an attraction.
And if you used solar for ( overnight ?) car charging, you would have to invest in a much bigger solar system together with a battery storage bank sized to feed the car overnight....very expensive !
A 10,000 mile per year average use of the car would only show a $2000 annual return from fuel cost savings.

True enough. But counting state and fed rebates I was only out of pocket $6k for the solar and it is big enough to handle both car and house use. I don't need a battery (at least not now) because I get net metering. My excess daytime production goes back to the grid and I pull it back out when dark for no extra charge.

spinningmagnets said:
there are a few countries in Europe where gasoline is $8/gallon. If a family has two vehicles, it can make a lot of sense for many of them to have one of their vehicles be an EV...

Dramatic improvements in batteries looming in the next five years.

Yeah. Downward price pressure on oil is currently hurting alternatives a lot. What is positive to me, is that despite this pressure, EV sales are still climbing even here in the USA. Imagine what would happen if gasoline jumped up to 5 bucks a gallon again and stayed there?

We are looking at some federal and state gas tax increases in the very near future. Even Utah ( the land of republican oilocracy ) is jacking up it's gas tax right now.

I think that tacking on the cost of oil externalities to gasoline would be a lot more effective than going above and beyond what taxes are needed to pay for roads though ( this is what liberal states really like to do. ). The externality costs are gigantic, and tacking on even a fourth of them would make a difference.

Until then, i think it is the battery improvements that will be the main driving force in EV adoption.

The ball is soon to begin rolling in our favor.. :)

If gas prices rise, and EV sales start to climb in North America, I fear the purchase grant incentives will be cut back, but...then again, maybe if sales are rising, its time for the real price of an EV to compete on its own two feet.

no, it is never gonna be time to cease trying to induce people to burn fewer hydrocarbons.

it is cheaper to try to mitigate the damages from global heating now than wait until later to move all of the major population centers away from the coasts where 60% of the worlds population lives now.

I'm not suggesting that financial incentives be cut as soon as possible, please take them if they are available to you.

What I am suggesting is that: when EV's reach a point where they make sense regardless of purchase incentives, then there will be a huge boom in sales and selection. I believe that point is coming soon, and I feel it will be quite an improvement when EVs have the new SSB batteries available for purchase.

There are people who don't care at all about oil politics or the environment, but even though they can easily afford a Ferrari or Lambo, they are choosing to purchase a Tesla AWD based on performance alone...

spinningmagnets said:
I'm not suggesting that financial incentives be cut as soon as possible, please take them if they are available to you.

What I am suggesting is that: when EV's reach a point where they make sense regardless of purchase incentives, then there will be a huge boom in sales and selection. I believe that point is coming soon, and I feel it will be quite an improvement when EVs have the new SSB batteries available for purchase.

There are people who don't care at all about oil politics or the environment, but even though they can easily afford a Ferrari or Lambo, they are choosing to purchase a Tesla AWD based on performance alone...
I agree with you 100 on all of this SM after using my cordless electric yard tools to trim and mow my yard. I love them not because they are electric, but because they are better and easier to use TBH. :shock:

Back