19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

GiantEV said:
teslanv said:
Well, that's something to chew on while I ponder a big order...
Can we have a consensus on the 1.4" wide Moto Rims? (Is anyone opposed to a 1.4" Rim?)

I'd prefer 1.4" versus 1.6" wide, mostly for the weight savings.

It seems like several people are going with the DNM fork. If you're building wheels you may want to consider offering 20mm thru-axle (high quality hub) front wheels built into 19x1.4" moto rims and selling them on your site. I for one would purchase such a wheel if it were available, and I'm sure many others would too.

Building one right now for a Customer. In fact, the 1.4" wide rim was the only one we could get with Hole for a 20mm Through-Axle Hub. If it goes well, I will add it to the Menu. :)

The original plan was to drill the 1.6s out for weight concious folks, like a trials rim. I'm open to shaving weight on future batches though, absolutely.

macribs said:
Jackrabbit said:
If anyone in the UK is looking for someone to build them a set of wheels I used this guy;

http://www.abrammotorcycles.co.uk

He was really good to deal with and did a great job on my wheels.

He might do a good job building but he does a piss poor job of answering email or calls :)
I just gave up on him as he didn't reply.

He works on his own and build wheels as a second job. You might have to wait but the result is worth it.

johnrobholmes said:
The original plan was to drill the 1.6s out for weight concious folks, like a trials rim. I'm open to shaving weight on future batches though, absolutely.

That's interesting, never thought you could do that. It seems with a quick search that bicycle users do this. I assume you could drill these rims a lot because they are very strong.

johnrobholmes said:

What do you figure the weight savings would be by drilling out the rim?

does anybody know any lighter tires that could be used on a 21" electric hub motor cycle rim as most of them are about 3kg? the only reason i am using motorcycle rim is it the wheel the came with the cyclone heavy duty ebike frame which uses 170-180mm rear dropouts spacing. do you think it might be possible to get a lighter weight fat bike rim custom hub wheel made to fit this frame width? the frame does not have a rear mech hanger and i need it as its a mid drive 1680w cyclone motor for gears. the motor cycle wheel included with the frame the mech hanger attaches to the hub axle

The Veerubber VRm2.75x21 is probably the lightest 21"mc tire on the market for what we want on an ebike. Dunlop makes a short profile dual purpose, quasi trials tire that's also a good option, even though I cant think of the name right now.

got an answer from prowheel. the weight of 17x1.4 rim is 2,25lbs or 1021gram
i also aksed about 36 spoke holes and he answered they will get them in about a month.

added to the list:

17X1.6 MMP rim: 1205 grams
19x1.6 MMP rim: 1455 grams

17x1.4 prowheel: 1021 grams
19x1.4 prowheel: 1134 grams
19x1.6 prowheel: 1455 grams

yes the prowheel is lighter and i also would like to see it available from JRH, but 180g difference is no big deal..
John, when are you going to offer aluminum moped nipples?

I'm looking to upgrade to the DNM USD-8 fork, which has 535mm of space above the axle. It has 203mm of travel, which leaves 332mm (13.0709"). This tells me that the maximum outside wheel diameter I can fit in there is 26.1418".

My reasoning for calculating this is to see if I can fit a 21" moto wheel up front. Can you guys with 21" wheels tell me what kind of outside diameter you have, as well as the tire and rim you are using?

GiantEV said:
I'm looking to upgrade to the DNM USD-8 fork, which has 535mm of space above the axle. It has 203mm of travel, which leaves 332mm (13.0709"). This tells me that the maximum outside wheel diameter I can fit in there is 26.1418".

My reasoning for calculating this is to see if I can fit a 21" moto wheel up front. Can you guys with 21" wheels tell me what kind of outside diameter you have, as well as the tire and rim you are using?

one of the most common 21 inch tire sizes is the 90/90 - 21. The inflated diameter of that one is usually around 27.5". there will be some variation from tire to tire based on the type of tread.

Yah Chookpakabra is right. I just measured my CRF front wheel, its just under 27.5 inches. For what that's worth.

If anyone is interested on who has the lightest tubes here are probably the two lightest tubes you can get.

Bike Master tubes
IRC standard tubes.

Weighing a 2.75-3.00x17 tube in each brand:

Bike Master 447 grams
IRC Standard tube 436 grams

Being that they are both close in weight and price, my recommendation would be the IRC Standard tube. Only reason I am recommending this even though I only used Bike Master so far is the IRC could possibly be made in Japan and they had better reviews. The Bike Master had more complaints and negative reviews. Bike master is also made in china, I'm not positive where IRC are made as they are a Japan owned company and I think they are made in Japan, so probably have better quality control. However, both should be good.

You should also never consider a heavy duty tube, they weigh a ridiculous amount and are not worth, especially when you have a super heavy motorcycle tire on your light weight ebike. Lots of people who drive motorcycles even recommend against them.

ridethelightning said:
Can anyone in Aus recommend a supplier for alu moto rims on ebay or such?
looking for 1.4x17 or 19.
thanks

Contact Hyena, aka Jay. He had sourced some light 19 MC rims in the past for Sydney and may have some left over.

A white MMP 17" holmes hobby rim.

I only plasti dipped the rear rim white to see how the bike looks with white rims.

Offroader said:
A white MMP 17" holmes hobby rim.

I only plasti dipped the rear rim white to see how the bike looks with white rims.

.jpg[/img][/url]

Bike looks great!!!!

So I'm going to work on making alloy nipples this week, hold me to it guys! Should drop considerable weight. I'll also eyeball making a jig to drill or mill rims into lighter specimens. That should be an "easy" 300 to 500 grams per rim. I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds of rotational weight on my next bike either.

John
Iv a sm pro 1.4x19 rim which i was going to put on my bomber
Thing is its turned up and the nipple holes look like thay been drilled out, there now 7mm
Is there a nipple and spoke i can still use for this
Thanks jim

this info from the holmes site may be of interest :
(http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Spokes.html)

STANDARD SPOKE AND NIPPLE SPECS (15ga-12ga rolled with 13mm of thread):
Spoke Dia. (mm) Thread pitch (tpi) Nipple Head Dia. (mm) Nipple Body Dia. (mm) Spoke Wrench
15ga 1.8 56 6.25 4.1 Black Park Wrench
14ga 2.0 56 6.25 4.1 Black Park Wrench
13ga 2.3 56 6.25 4.1 Black Park Wrench
12ga 2.6 56 ~7 4.85 ~4mm

ALTERNATIVE NIPPLE SPECS :
Spoke Dia. (mm) Thread pitch (tpi) Nipple Head Dia. (mm) Nipple Body Dia. (mm) Overall Lenth (mm) Approximate Body Legnth (mm) Spoke Wrench
Sapim:
13ga
Large 2.3 56 7.75 4.77 ~4mm
Holmes (these nipples are designed to work with the Holmes MMP rims without washers):
14ga Moped 2.0 56 9.5 6.1 16.2 12.5 ~5mm
13ga Moped 2.3 56 9.5 6.1 16.2 12.5 ~5mm
12ga Moped 2.6 56 9.5 6.1 16.2 12.5 ~5mm

johnrobholmes said:
So I'm going to work on making alloy nipples this week, hold me to it guys! Should drop considerable weight.

thats some very good news. thanks for providing them.
question:
yesterday i have placed an order for 2 set of moped spokes. would it be possible to ship them already with aluminum nipples? i believe they will have higher price, but thats no problem because i have not got or payed an invoice by now. also i have no hurry and i can wait.
thanks!

Eventually started the build of my new bike.
Rear has a 20" mc tyre on a 24" sun double wide rim.
Front is a 26" with a flat tyre.

Attachments

• 11174465_10153181958290199_2193334041009183714_o.jpg
    11174465_10153181958290199_2193334041009183714_o.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,851
it may be a few more days before nipples, and I will only start with 14g as I haven't gotten the custom thread forms made for 13 and 12g.

Got sick yesterday and wasn't able to go into work today, so it will be monday for them nipples.

Back