I remembered one thing I wanted to post:
I am still having incredible trouble backing the bike into the house with my leg the way it is, so I want to see if I can power it in instead, to get it up over the step/doorjamb. Right now, half the time I have to get off the bike, wedge myself against the doorframe and a crutch, and try to drag the bike in past me, because I'm too worn out or hurting to get it over the danged step.
So I did some searching, and found a post that might be about it but it has a dead pic so I am not sure if it is (or what pads, since it's not in the text). Might just be using the wrong search terms, but I looked in the various XC/"infineon" info threads to no avail. What pads on the typical XC 8xx series controllers would be used to switch to reverse mode (if possible)?
I also asked over here:http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... 97#p399897
I also opened it up and took some pics of what pads it has and whatnot (but somehow misplaced the camera afterward, so can't upload the pics yet
While in there, I found that the blue/yellow wire pair that has bullets attached (the only ones like this, male on yellow and female on blue), are attached to EBS+ (yellow) and a pad near the voltage regulators called "SM" (blue). I cant' find any info about the "SM" pad, either.
I have run the controller with and without that connection, with no difference I can see.
I checked for shorts or anything on the BK and GND pads that might cause the intermittent regen, and found nothing. I soldered them together, and verified regen does work this way, whenever the EBS- is shorted to ground (yellow and black wires to outside of case).
I don't have room on the right side to add an ebrake lever, and I'm not awake enough or with good enough coordination right now to wire up the relay I keep meaning to on the brakelight lever. So for the moment I just wired the ebrake to the Stop-Run-Stop knob on the right control cluster, which I can reach ok with my thumb, if I take it off the throttle. The knob is made so it connects while on Stop, but not on Run. Dunno why, but it means brakign happens in either direction it's turned, and only allows throttle in center (Run).
I wanted to use the Start button just below it, but that button has it's outer contact wired to ground and the case of the housing, which would ground it to the bike frame (whcih is 12V ground, and theoretically also bottom of the traction pack ground). But I do not want to risk shorting something in the controller to chassis ground if it is not already at that ground, which I don't know for sure. Better safe than sorry. So I used the SRS knob instead, for now.
Anyway, after all the wiring, I did off-the-ground tests to see if it worked as expected. Took some doing to prop up the front end with a metal box to let the wheel spin, cuz I can't lift it right now.
I was hoping that the throttle would control regen variably, but it doesn't. Maybe if I brought out the BK and GND wires to a switch, and engaged them only *after* throttling up, then it would do so. But it doesn't do it with BK shorted to GND in the controller.
It does at least work correctly with full regen braking when using the SRS knob, verified via the CA's Regen page. Didn't do much testing other than to be sure it works.
But I noticed something else different, and wondered what I'd done: The CA showed idle current of about 200mA, when it had been about 70mA. Made me start pondering, and looking for problems with the wiring I just added.
At some point I shut off the CFL headlight/taillight, and found usage went down to the usual 70mA, which was confusing.
Eventually I found that the ground wire for the throttle was pinched under the hose clamp of PackA, the NiMH I'd remounted a few days back. Ooops.
So, that tells me that most likely grounding the ebrake ground wouldn't hurt anything, but I was tired enough I decided to leave the brake wires on the SRS switch instead of moving it to the Start button. Maybe later.
Anyway, I fixed the pinched wire and found no connection to frame /chassis ground to the cotnroller, now, and the CA usage was back to normal.
So now I have regen braking, dunno how hard it will brake, or how well it will work with the Vpower pack vs the NiMH. Should be an interesting test. Save some wear on brake pads, anyway.
Also gotta remember to recheck the axle nuts often now, probably after the first few hundred feet of testing tomorrow (today, really), as a first check. Don't want to rip the wheel off just braking.
Oh, also, I aired up the back tire to 50PSI again; it's holding fine over last few hours so hopefully it's not a slow leak or aything.