I seem to have misplaced my camera after trying to get more moon pics last night (partly successfully), so no new pics for this post.
I got the welding as finished as I can on CB2 for now. I think i will need to make gussets to make it any better, for up at teh BB on the black stiffener tubes.
I did not fix the chainline issue yet, but I was able to pedal-assist a bit on the test ride without issue other than hearing the chain rub on the tubing (which it would probably cut thru eventually if I kept that up long enough).
I also welded up a replacement bar on a dog crate for our rescue adoption partner up at work, http://www.AZFurryFriends.org
as I guess one of the previous occupants of the crate didnt' want to be, and severely damaged one of the vertical bars on the door, to the point where a smaller animal like a kitten could probalby just walk right thru.
So I took a bar off an old retail fixture I'd saved for other parts, and spot welded it in place of the old one, and ground all the welds smooth so kitties and puppies won't hurt their widdle paws on dem.
I will deliver the crate back tomorrow (was supposed to be tonight but there's no way--I'm jsut totally wiped out), using CrazyBike2 this time. I brought it home with the Fusin Test Bike:viewtopic.php?p=617754#p617754
but since CB2 is mostly fixed, I would like to be riding it for a while.
I did run into a MAJOR problem, though: I noticed something wierd when I was wheeling the bike back out front to do the test ride--I couldn't steer it very far left without the linkage bar being forced *rightward* past the toptube at it's front link with the actual fork's steerer tube. This is bizarre, as it did not happen before the failure and fix, and nothing has changed in any of that linkage or geometry or even that section of the frame.
So a closer look reveals the rear one of the old welded-closed eyebolts I used for rod-ends has bent badly on the threaded section, about a little more than 1/4" from the end of the threaded part. I tried to gently bend it back, but it snapped off there.
I took the whole tie rod off, worked out the broken-off threaded rod from the back end, and threaded the rod onto the stub there. Fortunately, these are very long, so there was enough threaded rod on the front one to still make the right length linkage. This fixed the problem for now, but I am worried now that the linkage is going to come apart again.
If it does, it will happen on the road in-use, probably during a hard left turn as that is when it is stressed by the tie rod striking the frame itself. I don't normaly need to do that, so it woudl only happen in a situation that is already bad. For now, I will simply try to avoid any possible situation taht could lead up to that...but that's the thing with emergency turns and such-you can't really predict if it is going to happen--you can only try to lessen your chances of encountering the need for one.
The two-mile test ride was successful, with no linkage or frame problems I could detect, and the ride is different a little--the frame is definitely stiffer with these new black tubes in there re-triangulating the center frame. I guess it's a good thing, but it does make the bumps on the rear wheel a little harder than before, and even just noticeable on the front.
I went to the Safeway shopping mall a mile or so from the house for the ride, and picked up enough groceries from there and surrounding stores to fill both pods up to around 55lbs of stuff, and another 5lbs in the center frame between those new stiffeners (which do make ok tie-bars to secure grocery bags to, for the small stuff you can fit between them). I could definitely feel the stiffness of the frame with all that stuff in there; usually the bike wiggles around with that in there, and now it doesn't quite so much (still has side-to-side wiggle caused by the pods jiggling around at the bottom, but no up/down wiggle like before).
Anyhow, I will need to make a new steering linkage soon, but the rest of the bike seems to be behaving. For now.