How to remove male pins in molex connector

El_Steak

10 kW
I can easily remove female pins from molex connectors, but I'm not having any luck with the male ones. Does someone know how to easily do this?

molex.jpg

Those are the connectors used by ebikes.ca

these are not molex connectors. these are JST Manufacturing SM series connectors. nothing to do with Molex at all. Molex could probably sue for some silly reason or other.

unfortunatetly your pcture shows the wrong flat side of the pin. on the other side of the pin there is a narrow opening beside the pin. into it you insert the SMJ-06 extractor while pushing the wire deeper into the connector.

SMJ-06.jpg

thus releasing the locking tab. then you just pull on the wire to remove the pin. sorry but i tried to take a picture of the connector. my camera don't do macro. the "official" tool costs like $60.00. the blade is hardened steel and approx. 0.06" wide. i made one using an old exacto knife. i used a Dremel tool to reduce an old dull blade to the correct width.

even with the right tool the male connectors are tricky. often the wire will pull loose from the pin before you can get them apart. rather than waste the time i usually just replace he connector with a new one.

rick

I was able to make a removal tool by unfolding a safety pin, cutting off the tip, and using a hammer to turn the round pin into a flat pin. The size has to be just right to release the contact.

Back