Help with connector mismatches please (with pictures)

drewdiller

100 W
All of my parts have arrived (short of lacing a rim to the hub)!

I have some connector mismatches. The reason for this is that I'm going for an inexpensive as reasonably possible first build, so price was the largest factor for me on all my component selections.

I bought:

• * "Cute" 350W rear hub from bmsbattery.com
    * Controller, throttle, torque arm from e-bikekit.com
    * 36V 10Ah battery from evcomponents.com

I was delayed first by bmsbattery just taking a long frickin' time and having difficulty with the language barrier. I was delayed a little bit more when evcomponents sent the wrong unit -- they sent me something more expensive than what I paid for, and they were good about exchanging it for the correct unit, they didn't ask for any subsequent shipping fees so props to them for that.

I am delayed yet again, due to buying from various sources, the connectors are unsurprisingly mismatched or absent.

Here are some pictures:
http://dillerdesign.com/battery_pack/connector_mismatches.jpg
(It's a large image, be sure your browser isn't scaling it down, so you can read the text)

I essentially know what to do: snip the ends of connectors that don't match, replace them with appropriate connectors, as well as buy any missing cables.

One problem is I'm lacking terminology. I don't know how to search for a hobby store or something that will carry what I need, because I don't what I'm looking for. I don't like being "that guy" - but I AM at the moment.

First mismatch (FIGURE B): Battery plugin doesn't match charger plugin. What is this sort of plug called?

Second mismatch (FIGURE C): Controller phase wires (Blue/Green/Yellow - phase is the correct term, yes?) are Anderson Powerpoles, I'd have to snip the... whatever the heck is coming from the hub. Am I correct about this one?

Third mismatch (FIGURE B and C): Battery plugin doesn't match controller power cables. Again, don't know name of the former, and the latter are Powerpoles, which look snazzy.

My reasons for investigating e-bikes:

1) I'd like to get to work and not have to shower. Exercise hard on the way home!
2) Poorly removed snow on sidewalks / paths / intersections. I'd like to able to have one foot down ("tripod") and have something to power me through.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I'm new to electronics, I don't mind being treated like a newbie.

many of us use andersons for battery to controller. looks like your phase wires are bullet connectors, there are two sizes, the smalller are the more popular-- male and female of course. or make them andersons too. your battery to charger plugs I have seen and dont like them.

take evverything to a good automotive store and look for some one who is good with electical. dont worry about them talking about 12v stuff. just get stuff good for over 15 amps.

d

drewdiller said:
All of my parts have arrived (short of lacing a rim to the hub)!

I have some connector mismatches. The reason for this is that I'm going for an inexpensive as reasonably possible first build, so price was the largest factor for me on all my component selections.

I bought:

• * "Cute" 350W rear hub from bmsbattery.com
    * Controller, throttle, torque arm from e-bikekit.com
    * 36V 10Ah battery from evcomponents.com

I was delayed first by bmsbattery just taking a long frickin' time and having difficulty with the language barrier. I was delayed a little bit more when evcomponents sent the wrong unit -- they sent me something more expensive than what I paid for, and they were good about exchanging it for the correct unit, they didn't ask for any subsequent shipping fees so props to them for that.

I am delayed yet again, due to buying from various sources, the connectors are unsurprisingly mismatched or absent.

Here are some pictures:
http://dillerdesign.com/battery_pack/connector_mismatches.jpg
(It's a large image, be sure your browser isn't scaling it down, so you can read the text)

I essentially know what to do: snip the ends of connectors that don't match, replace them with appropriate connectors, as well as buy any missing cables.

One problem is I'm lacking terminology. I don't know how to search for a hobby store or something that will carry what I need, because I don't what I'm looking for. I don't like being "that guy" - but I AM at the moment.

First mismatch (FIGURE B): Battery plugin doesn't match charger plugin. What is this sort of plug called?

Second mismatch (FIGURE C): Controller phase wires (Blue/Green/Yellow - phase is the correct term, yes?) are Anderson Powerpoles, I'd have to snip the... whatever the heck is coming from the hub. Am I correct about this one?

Third mismatch (FIGURE B and C): Battery plugin doesn't match controller power cables. Again, don't know name of the former, and the latter are Powerpoles, which look snazzy.

My reasons for investigating e-bikes:

1) I'd like to get to work and not have to shower. Exercise hard on the way home!
2) Poorly removed snow on sidewalks / paths / intersections. I'd like to able to have one foot down ("tripod") and have something to power me through.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I'm new to electronics, I don't mind being treated like a newbie.

http://www.powerwerx.com/ .... is good for anderson connectors. They can be crimped without the special tool but I bought one and am glad I did, also not a bad idea to add a little solder to the finished crimp.

As for the phase and hall wires being a direct color to color match, well that may not be the case.
Where are you located ? Maybe there is an e biker near you to help out. Good luck.

Thanks for the link. That pretty much leaves the battery plugin jack to figure out... still need the name of that guy, having crappy results in google when looking for stuff like "2 pin DC plug".

Icewrench said:
As for the phase and hall wires being a direct color to color match, well that may not be the case.
If they weren't, what could happen? Hub would spin backwards? Something worse?

Icewrench said:
Where are you located ? Maybe there is an e biker near you to help out. Good luck.
Saint Paul, MN.

Even getting them from the same supplier mine turned out similar to yours though the throttle and halls did match. My Sony boom box has a plug that looks like the one on yer battery. If you can't find something to fit easily you can always solder a pigtail with your choice of plug style on the end to match the one you will be changing on the charger. Careful with the polarity thing I have seen enough Kentucky fried fingers, yuck. Many types of terminals and plugs around and most have their place. I use the bullets where they seldom need to be separated and heat-shrink them for a good seal. Then use the Powerpoles in 15A for the charger and 45A for the controller to battery connections and the miniature Deans for my headlight power.

plugtypes.jpg

In case things are not right when you are done here is a link to many wire color combinations known to werq.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6241

I did find the name of the battery plug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector

Looks like an unpolarised C8. Looks like I'd need a C7 to C14 adapter for the charger. Those look fairly easily available, if not in person, lots of online options.

You can even get the AUDIOPHILE VERSION (the rip-you-off-with-nonsense version):
http://www.amazon.com/ICECUBE-Cryogenically-Treated-Audiophile-IEC/dp/B000JCNS26

That doesn't take care of the battery-to-controller connection. I can't find much else other than adapters. So it looks like I'd need to buy a second adapter and discard the useless end. Problem is how do I know the wire itself is sufficient?

This connector even being in use on the battery at all is confusing to me, it's rated for 2.5A and you're saying I should expect up to 45A?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector#C7_and_C8_connectors

Sorry if anyone visited my image URL and got a domain squatter page... my domain expired today and the auto-renew didn't function correctly... sorted it out now.

Will attach pics from here on, for good measure.

I feel sheepish, I didn't even notice until recently that there are two plugins, I assume one for charge and one for draw...

So I had enough, and opened up the case, was straight forward.

Looks like the BMS is giving me some hint, IMG_3640, I assume that means "charger negative" and "power negative"?

Glad I opened the case anyway, IMG_3641, looks like the positive charging cable suffered some damage when the two halves of the case were screwed together.

Guess this means I have to learn how to solder. Oy, not what I signed up for, I have shaky hands.

At least I know the polarity now, and can just bypass the silly connectors and send some wire out to the world with whatever connector I want...

Attachments

• IMG_3640.JPG
    IMG_3640.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,416
Looks like this is the charger plugin, also looks vaguely like something from the IEC connector family, but I've never seen one specifically like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,405
I "got'r done", as they say. Thanks for the suggestions =)

Now I just need to figure out how to make everything water resistant.

Attachments

• IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,360
Silicone RTV works well enough for instant grommets where those wires pass thru the case. You can probably also use it to inject into the backs of the connectors where the wires enter. Won't stop water getting into the actual connection end, but unless it's drenched thoroughly those andersons have a decently close fit. A few wraps of electrical tape around the joint between plugged-in connectors will keep water out, as long as the adhesive stays good. I use 3M brand tape because I still have some around that is old enough to be the good stuff, but not yet gone gooey or dried out. Most of the stuff I have seen or used other than that brand has been pretty garbagey in longevity, and sometimes even in original application.

I'm told to avoid hardware-store-variety silicone -- it contains 'acetic acid' and can cause corrosion?

Where would I buy non-corrosive silicone?

drewdiller said:
I'm told to avoid hardware-store-variety silicone -- it contains 'acetic acid' and can cause corrosion?

Where would I buy non-corrosive silicone?
Well, I didn't find a single walk-in store that carries the stuff. Had to order online, and every retailer that carried it wanted a lot for the shipping, so I bought a few to justify it.

Back