Auraslip sent me his kickstand-nemesis, and today I tried it on DGA:
Unfortunately as predicted, due to the single-side cargo pod, the bike doesnt' stand well on it. If I let the front fork settle so it's all the way right (with headlight pointing backwards), it'll stay as long as it isn't touched.
The front wheel is actually off the ground, but it's hard to see, because the kickstand sinks into the carpet a bit, and the tire looks like it's touching the carpet but it's not, really. When the fork is actually pointing forward, the tire clears by maybe an inch, well off the ground even on carpet. I guess that's good in that it means I can test front wheels off ground just by using the kickstand, but bad in that my parking brake is on the front.
I am still working on a permanent solution to the dropout/torque-arm problem, but I really wanted to take advantage of the nice weather today and take Hachi out for a trip with the trailer. So for now, I took a 5lb sledgehammer and squished my dropouts back together a bit, and then did the same to the end of the 10mm wrench.
Then I used a block of wood and tapped the axle into the dropouts, and then secured the nuts *really* tight, using a hammer and a wood-padded wrench. Then I tapped on the 10mm wrench on the wire-exit side (left), secured it to the fork with hose clamp, and then fit and tightened the clamp-on ex-dropout assembly previously pictured here, on the right side.
Then I rode it as hard as I could around the block, starting from complete stops with the rear brake engaged to make a little more force against it, enough to break the front wheel traction and spin the tire sometimes, with peaks of 1200W in the tests. There was no sign of axle movement, so I continued with the tests and added the trailer, which worked ok, and then Hachi, and it was still ok.
All the way to work and back I didn't have any problems, except once the trailer somehow came unhitched, and I almost lost Hachi in it but the car behind me stopped to help.
That was awfully scary.
I cant' figure out how, but the whole stem bolt and wedge nut was gone out of the headset/steerer I use as a horizontal hitch pivot. I didnt' see it anywhere in the road, and I never heard it hit the ground anywhere. As I didn't have a spare, I used a couple of hose clamps run down thru the steerer tube aroudn the whole hitch to guarantee it wouldn't pop off, and ran the bike lock cable thru the fork I use as the bike attachment for the hitch, and thru the kennel's vent holes on the trailer, to guarantee that even if the hitch came apart anyway, the trailer would still be attached to the bike. I'm a moron for not having done that always before.
I didn't think to take a picture of it before I undid it to get the whole thing inside the house, though; I was still pretty stressed out about the event.
It's been a couple hours now and I feel better, but Hachi sure is worn out; she's sleeping and snoring next to me right now.
Also, just after I started the tests, the speedo stopped working, and I found that the reed I'd used for it somehow has broken glass. I must've damaged it when fixing the dropouts or the torque arms.
I have at least two other old speedo sensors besides what's on CB2 (which I didn't want to take off to move to DGA), but I can't remember where they are right now, and I didn't want to waste the day looking for them isntead of riding, so I just went without speedo/odo this time.
So all I have for data is from WU1, monitoring battery current:
~40m 0s trip time*
56Vstart (down to 54.1V after just one startup, stable from there)
All in all it was an "interesting" trip in ways I'd rather avoid. But it was fun at the destination, with Hachi seeing new things and meeting new people.
The one really bad thing is that now Hachi whimper-barks constantly whenever I am in motion. Never did anything like that before, so it was probably the separation that caused it. Probably pretty scary to have happen (it was bad enough for me!). But now she's so loud that it's piercing to me, and I can hear the echoes off stuff quite a ways away from us.
She stops as soon as I stop the bike, usually, so I am not sure how to retrain her on this issue.
Regarding the dropout solution, I think I'm going to see about making some EMT tubing bits that will be wide enough to slip over the existing fork legs, and add new dropouts to the tubing that will be made from those thick BMX plates I showed previously, with a bolt across teh end of them to clamp down. Since they're not really as thick as I'd like, I'll probably either put two of them side by side on each leg, or find that stupid 1/4" plate chair piece I was going to use in the first place, and make the dropouts from that.