my E-bike DYNO (Dynanometer) project !

Doctorbass

100 GW
Like i already discussed few times on the E-S, A dyno project would be something i want to do!!

that will allow me to do many IN LAB performances tests.

I announce you that the project has began!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It have 2 rolls of 8 inch diameter made of pure steel and they are linked using a timing belt and 2 pulley. all will be hold with a strong steel base and good quality bearing.

It also have a coupler to put a generator on it for higher power tests.

It will be inertia dyno type for low power and generator type for higher power. I might also add an auxiliary large flywheel to it.

It's tonybike that is building it for me following my recommendations.

The goal is to have it portable.. ( 150pounds or less :lol: ) and to also allo scooter dyno test.

The mecanic is easy to do but i still dont found any afordable electronic interface and program to match with...

Here is some pics:

Attachments

• SUC51895_800x600.jpg
    SUC51895_800x600.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4,032
  • SUC51897_800x600.jpg
    SUC51897_800x600.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4,032
I already built one seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdjQ445WoJw but a eddy brake or some way to load a bike might be handy for electric bikes. the system I used is all based on inertia which for most motorsports is what you want a dyno that loads an engine and holds it at a rpm is fine for tractors but anything that is accelerating all the time should be done on an inertia dyno. I am going to pull mine down off the shelf and dyno my e-bmx soon and some scooters just need to get all the other jobs out the door and get a computer at the shop! Let me know if you need any info doc I see you subscribed to me in youtube and I know of another place to get slightly better electronics for ~700 mine were 400 for a 5 sensor kit form Dyno46 the guy was very helpfull.

here you go doc http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dyno46/racingdyno.html#6
and here for performance trends which seems a bit better http://performancetrends.com/dtm-dyno.htm

good luck doc I think this is cool and its funny I was just about to pull mine down for the same thing!

Arlo! You're RC car dyno is damn cool! lol!

Doc- Coming from a guy who normally has 4 nylon straps pulling the front down, and a fat guy sitting on each fender to dyno, and still get tire slip sometimes, make sure your builder either does a keep knurling patter in the contact area on the drums, or rough-up the surface and have it sprayed with a truck-bed liner and sprinkled with sand afterwards.

Looks like very cool stuff!

Harbor Freight sells a motorcycle wheel cleaning stand with smaller diameter knurled rollers that may be useful for converting into a bicycle wheel dyno:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/motorcycle-wheel-cleaning-stand-98800.html

Hmm...I have some steel treadmill rollers (formerly for the ends of the main walking belt), about the same diameter as a typical freewheel cassette at the ends, perhaps 1/2" more for the roller portion. Built in bearings, not sure how good.

I believe they have a lightly knurled surface used to help pull the belt along. I could probably use the parts of the treadmill frame itself that once held them, cut and then welded together close enough for a bike tire. That takes care of the main mechanicals.

What would be best for a load, if I want to test actual power output, preferably something I can log via WattsUp or TWM? I have various PM motors, a car alternator, various "universal" motors, some induction motors, etc.

amberwolf said:
Hmm...I have some steel treadmill rollers (formerly for the ends of the main walking belt), about the same diameter as a typical freewheel cassette at the ends, perhaps 1/2" more for the roller portion. Built in bearings, not sure how good.

I believe they have a lightly knurled surface used to help pull the belt along. I could probably use the parts of the treadmill frame itself that once held them, cut and then welded together close enough for a bike tire. That takes care of the main mechanicals.

What would be best for a load, if I want to test actual power output, preferably something I can log via WattsUp or TWM? I have various PM motors, a car alternator, various "universal" motors, some induction motors, etc.
If done right the "load" is from the inertia of the rollers them selfs, and you just program the dyno for the movement of inertia (weight) of the rollers then go! Now if you want to make it work for different power levels then you can run different gearing and say dyno in first on a 50 cc motorcycle and go from 3-10 km/h or dyno in 5th on a crf 450 motorcycle and run from 10-110 km/h so it will take the right amout of time to get an acurate reading. Now as for electric bikes you might not have gearing or different top speeds but you should be able to build the rollers to a weight that works for a good range of power and if thats not enought you could have removable weights added to the end of the rollers too.

Luke, I will use some skateboard base grip.it's like sandpaper but with adhesive on one side. very robust and replaceable if needed.

Arlo, I already found the Dyno46 info but theyr new link to www.dyno46.com seems to not working. When was your last communication with that guy?

I would probably have the interface with like 4 aux input and the tach of the roller.

One input for voltage, one more for the current, one for the motor temp and a last one for the battery temp.

so you paid 700$ ? software + hardware?

BTW great your video with the RC car!!.. I love when the car stop accelerating and act exactly like a normal car and kick back at the end!!

Doc

@Doc, the Dyno46 site appears to have last been archived by the wayback machine a couple of years ago, so maybe they don't exist anymore? Or else, not on that domain.

@Arlo, the catch with what you're saying is that I won't have anything to "program" on the dyno; it's all going to have to be built from scratch, from whatever I've got around here. I'll be doing some research about it once I have time to add another project to my list, but I don't right now. :)

Yeh Im not sure whats up with dyno46 but I bought the electronics from them it looks easy to clone if needed and the software I have on cd and he emailed me an up date. It may have been 2 years now though. performance trends does seem to be a step above. But all my stuff from dyno46 was ~$400

Arlo1 said:
Yeh Im not sure whats up with dyno46 but I bought the electronics from them it looks easy to clone if needed and the software I have on cd and he emailed me an up date. It may have been 2 years now though. performance trends does seem to be a step above. But all my stuff from dyno46 was ~$400

any possibility you could post some pictures of the Dyno-46 hardware. what does the guts of thier interface look like. good closeups of the boards would be nice.

rick

rkosiorek said:
Arlo1 said:

any possibility you could post some pictures of the Dyno-46 hardware. what does the guts of thier interface look like. good closeups of the boards would be nice.

rick
Yeh I will try to get some pictures of it soon!

Arlo1 said:
rkosiorek said:
Arlo1 said:

rick
Yeh I will try to get some pictures of it soon!

YESS !! great idea!!

Sorry guys I looked at it a while ago and never drilled the rivits out to open up the case. If its an issue I will be getting the performance trends usb mini version soon. I am just getting the 2 inch thick end caps cut for my 18 inch long 18 inch dia 2 inch seemless wall pipe so I can finish my bike dyno! Hopefully by the end of December! Got to dyno lukes Gsxr 1000 when he is up and show him how slow it is :wink:

On another note an inertia dyno doesnt need much just a snesor to tell wheel rpm then the computer does all the work to tell you HP!

Arlo.. I guess that's not a portable dyno right!!

Arlo1 said:
Hopefully by the end of December! Got to dyno lukes Gsxr 1000 when he is up and show him how slow it is :wink:

Better be able to stretch that dyno out, now Lukes moved to Cali in 6 months time he will have sunk into the "Californ-i-a"
scene i.e a wide tire kit, extended swing arm bagged GSX-R 1000 rolling on a 360 wide rear :lol:

2516.jpg

As he cruises the streets with a bikini clad blond haired silicone breasted beach babe perched high on the back seat :mrgreen: :lol: :p

KiM

AussieJester said:
Arlo1 said:
Hopefully by the end of December! Got to dyno lukes Gsxr 1000 when he is up and show him how slow it is :wink:

Better be able to stretch that dyno out, now Lukes moved to Cali in 6 months time he will have sunk into the "Californ-i-a"
scene i.e a wide tire kit, extended swing arm bagged GSX-R 1000 rolling on a 360 wide rear :lol:

2516.jpg

As he cruises the streets with a bikini clad blond haired silicone breasted beach babe perched high on the back seat :mrgreen: :lol: :p

KiM

its look like is vtwin tl1000 r bike and a vtwins engine is less power then a real 1000 gixxer but still a nice ride

i love suzuki and my best bike is the buuusa !!! still for me the knig of the road :D :D :D

AussieJester said:
Arlo1 said:

KiM
The plan is to also try to dyno the nitro drag bike and the electric drag bike! So fitting a long hi powered bike should not matter!

Doctorbass said:
Arlo.. I guess that's not a portable dyno right!!
I am concidering building it to mount in a trailer so I can tow it to races and dyno bikes ect.

some test:

[youtube]Ta6Vzk3J6D4[/youtube]

Doc

Hey doc I knurled my rollers today before ballancing them its easy and it provides great traction!

Attachments

• 002_renamed_20349.jpg
    002_renamed_20349.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 3,119
Arlo1 said:
Hey doc I knurled my rollers today before ballancing them its easy and it provides great traction!

Ah haa! perfect!.. I see that little tool you have on the head of the lathe.

Back