Help add Cycleanalyst connector to Crystalyte 35A controller

jag

10 kW
I have a Crystalyte 35A analog 36-72V controller that I would like to add the direct-plugin Cycleanalyst connector to. eBikesSF sells the controllers with this connector already installed, but my controller doesn't have it. I was hoping someone could post a photo or description of where to solder the CA connections on the controller PCB.

B.t.w. eBikesSF has a good info page on the controller but it is lacking this info.
http://ebikessf.com/technical/crystalyte-35a-controller-connectors

A related question: 6pin Molex or 5 pin inline connectors are common for the halls, but don't fit through the rear axle nut. I was curious if the 5 pin mini-XLR is small enough to fit through? I don;t have one to test myself. (I find it annoying to have to cut the hall connector to e.g. add an axle mounted trailer hitch, or try experiment with new torque arms.)

Background: The other 30A 6FET Clyte controller I had on my bike died in a downpour a few days ago. Blew battery fuses and shorted phase wires on motor so bike was next to impossible to roll, let alone bike... So I have to get this 12 FET 35A controller into service, and was hoping to add the CA connector so I can keep using my CA.

None of the various mini-XLRs I've seen would be likely to fit thru a hub axle nut.

The 5-pin inline connectors like JST ought to be able to fit thru if you turn them endways, though it might be a very tight fit depending on how stiff the wires are and the type of insulation they have.

Another option is cutting the 5-pin into 2 and 3 pin sections, so that depending on the final width maybe they'd fit thru normally.

Also, with the 6-pin "molex" type, you can use something to squeeze the pins' locking tab down flat and pull them out the back, then just re-lift the tab a tiny bit and re-lock them in place when you're done with whatever you needed to take them out for. Just be sure to put them in the right order. :)

amberwolf said:
Another option is cutting the 5-pin into 2 and 3 pin sections, so that depending on the final width maybe they'd fit thru normally.

I'll look to use two connectors to make the Hall wiring fit through the axle nut. I'll snip the current big Molex, and replace with one 3pin throttle connector and one 2pin ditto. I just tried and these fit through the axle nut.

Hopefully someone finds a nice, weatherproof and small 5 pole connector that we could start using for halls. (B.t.w. the 3 power poles for the phase wiring go through by sliding the 3 PIN assemply apart and putting the power poled through one by one. Requires exposing about 8-10cm length of individual free wire from the sleve or outer casing on the hub side)

Still looking for a pic of how to wire the direct plugin cycleanalyst to the 35A analog Crystalyte. I know the general principle of how to install a CA, but this is the first time I put it on the 12FET analog Clyte and I know dozens if not hundreds of people already run the CA with this controller I was thinking a picture would help me get it right quicker.

I can't help with the CA part, unfortunately--never seen that hookup. But it is probably here on ES somewhere.

That might be a good sticky thread to create in the Technical Reference section, for someone with the power to do so--a compilation of the known good CA connection diagrams, similar to the ones for motors/controllers.

On the nut/connector issue, another thought is bullets, or any other single-pin connector (including Anderson Powerpoles). If you overlap the wires like this:
overlap phase bullets.JPG
then you could pull them thru even if the connectors are too large to pull thru in pairs. As long as a single connector plus all the wires in the bundles will fit thru the nut, you can bind them together like the above pic with staggered connectors, and you're all set. They can't even be plugged in wrong. :)

Back