CorrosionX for waterproofing?

erth64net

100 W
The rain has finally settled in around here, so waterproofing is high on the priority list. It looks like CorrosionX could be a great solution.

Interesting. I'm worried about my hub motor more than my controller. I wonder what it does when it gets into bearings and such.

What Pacific northwester wants to be the guinea pig? :)

Those are some amazing success stories! Makes me want to coat my phone with it and drop it in a toilet. :lol:

Good find, I didn't know that product existed, I was actually thinking of spraying WD 40, but would rather use a more purpose specific product like this, although $20 is alotta dough for a 6 oz. spray. I wonder what it is made with...

Hey Greg, how is the Scorpion motor and one way holding up?

Here are some comments regarding corrosion-x that I found on the rebel builders list:

I only sprayed what I thought was an film but it was too much. It comes out of the can hard and fast. If I could go back, I'd just paint everything and save the X for certain special areas AFTER painting. Interesting that I used chromate on edges and dipped the rivets and the X still gets through.

Do not use it period before you paint! You WILL regret it.

Yep, I sprayed my 172 with it several years ago and that stuff seaped out for a LONG time...as in a couple of years.

Yes after 4 years it still weeps up a few rivet mandrels enough to collect dust occasionally even on my painted airframe with dipped rivets. It took more than a year before I first noticed any rivets weeping. Great stuff but it was never intended for use prior to painting.

I used less than a quart of corrosion-x on the entire Rebel airframe including below the floor via 3/16" holes.

In addition to its usual use for aluminum protection it is excellent on electrical equipment and connections. While this is an "off label" use it does not attack anything as far as I know. There is one warning - don't use it on anything where its lubricating qualities would be detrimental (such as auto pilot capstans). It is slick as raw oyster snot!

A factory rep giving a presentation here awhile back said it would take a year before treated bare metal would be paintable. I'm afraid he meant a year from when it's "dry". Great stuff, and it migrates long distances across metal all by itself. Doesn't require a shower.

etard said:
Those are some amazing success stories! Makes me want to coat my phone with it and drop it in a toilet. :lol:
Funny you mention that - I actually have a niche use idea that could reshape an industry unrelated to eBikes...more testing is needed before I open my big mouth too much.

etard said:
Good find, I didn't know that product existed, I was actually thinking of spraying WD 40, but would rather use a more purpose specific product like this, although $20 is alotta dough for a 6 oz. spray. I wonder what it is made with...
I always thought that spray-on insulation stuff was the only option. Apparently Ace Hardware carries CorrosionX, so I'm off to Parkrose Hardware (the most awesome hardware store this side of the Rockies).

etard said:
Hey Greg, how is the Scorpion motor and one way holding up?
It held up well, although since I never designed this to be the only motive source, the belt drive's slight drag had become...a drag... I'm halfway through a mid-drive setup that combines gas for long-distances and electric for short/in-city. The cinchers were figuring out how to cut single-speed freewheel threads on my CNC, and how to broach a keyway without snapping the broach; in both cases, the solutions were stupidly-obvious in hindsight.

There's nothing like taking 7,000 RPM down to 90, just to climb 10% grades at 20MPH :D

rebelpilot said:
Here are some comments regarding corrosion-x that I found on the rebel builders list:...

Yea, isn't that awesome. I'm picking up some stuff today - will report back 8)

neptronix said:
Interesting. I'm worried about my hub motor more than my controller. I wonder what it does when it gets into bearings and such.
There's some shiny pictures of its effects on an undersea bearing, aside an untreated ball of red rust. Granted its the manufacturer's website...hmm, anyone have a small/spare brushless motor they'd donate to a little salt-water project :)

neptronix said:
What Pacific northwester wants to be the guinea pig? :)
*looks outside* Well, I guess I qualify :D

am using rust cure for about 8 month now and run my ebike last winter and since that open up last week to change my phase wire bigger and the motor still like new and no trace of burn and i run lipo a 100 volt and this king of gel stay in the motor :D :D :D

Hm!!!!

I have a geared hub motor.. anyone think it would be a bad idea to spray it with that? i assume the gears are lubricated..

my gel rust cure is stay there even at 100 degree and its made for electical use never try corrosion x but i am very satisfied with what i have and work for real so far after trying 10 diferent product :D :D

I'm going to use this on my direct drive crystalyte to help prevent hall sensor failures. Anyone else have any luck with this?

Back