Can Crystalyte controllers be programmed?

NeilP

1 GW
I have a Xlyte 72 v 48 amp controller as a backup, and I was wondering if it has the right pads on the board to fit a flash cable ?
Is it the same board as the Infineon controllers that Lyen and others mod? or is it an entirely different beast?

I've seen the pads on some of the PCB photos in various threads, but I dunno if any of the software available to us would work on it (probably not). I doubt Crystalyte will give you the software either.

Ah well, woth an ask. I am not going to take it apart till Lyen does the business on the 18 FET unit I fried a while back..but once it is back and this controller is out, I'll take a look

Was hoping to beef it up a bit and use it on e 'trials' e-bike. Got a small 22 inch wheel with brushless motor, hopoefully good for 500-750W, though I do not expect more. But on a 22 inch wheel at 84 volt, it should be OK as a little toy. Not planning on any pedals at all just foot pegs in the bottom bracket hole, already fitted up a Specialaised Rock Hopper frame with 26 in front bounce forks and mech disks, just need the batteries and the controller swap

Hi NeilP I am also trying to install pegs on my BMX, I would be grateful for any contributions you could make.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27549&start=0
Cheers.

The Mighty Volt said:
Hi NeilP I am also trying to install pegs on my BMX, I would be grateful for any contributions you could make.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27549&start=0
Cheers.

Done

The answer to my own question is YES...at least the controller from Xlyte I have.
It has an Infineon board...18 FET

Edit...at least it is an Infinieon board and has similar serial number the programable boards..and it does have a programming header..so it SHOULD BE possible...but as Hyenas post further down indicates...maybe it is not with our current software

So you managed to get the new crystalyte 18 fet board to program Neil ? I have a 12 fet here and I can't for the life of me get it to flash.

This is the model I have, eb312 board, 116 chip, has the programming interface but it doesn't seem to work with the usual parameter designer software.

View attachment 1

I did notice that the tx and rx pads are in swapped locations compared to other infineon boards such as lyens here

I tried swapping those around and the 2 +5v wires incase they were wired to the wrong side of the push button and also a different usb programmer but still no luck. Anyone else tried these new 12 fet boards and had any success ? :?

The USB interface on this controller originally had 3 of the CA DP wires wrongly connected to it :roll:

No, not yet, and the attempt could be a long way off...Just not on the radar at the moment. trying to get the Lyen controller bike finished up ..doing all the wiring/precharge setup, ..reverse? wheel lock? lights on dc dc convertor...all via a single key switch..
Also just got a few more 4s packs to make a 4s4p 5ah block to kick it up to 100v...just to see how it goes..so need to find mounting for that etc...just waiting for the 5 pin JST connectors to arive to make up the parallel harness.

Also won an e-bikekit kit the other day via their facebook page..so that is onthe way...that will officially be for the girlfriend, but....
their controllers are 36 to 48 volt..but I have heard of them being run ( outside of ay warranty of course) on 72volt..and that thye do have 100v caps...so I want to get that open and have a close look

I have not even taken the Xlyte board fully out of the case yet as it has reverse and ignition switch at the opposite end of the case to where the wires exit..so I need to un solder them first to get it apart.

Supposed to be chiopping some Pollar trees down this weekend that are too close to a neighbours house..so looks like this w/end is out...and I want to do a couple of cycles on each of the 4s packs on the 3010b...so ..idea...I could maybe strip the Xlyte controller while the 3010b is doing its thing..sort fo depends on wether I can sneak more stuff in to the apartment withouht the girlfriend noticing

Ah yes, I can see how you would think that looking at my post...I'll go back and edit it :oops:

Hyena said:
The USB interface on this controller originally had 3 of the CA DP wires wrongly connected to it

??? thought the USB interface and the CA DP plugs were two separate things...are you saying the CA DP wires were connected to the USB and the USB wires were connected to the CA-DP?

Yeah crystalyte stuffed it up, wiring it for their own "CA" which is nothing like the real deal from Justin @ ebikes.ca
They call it a APM or something and while it sounds like it may have its merits neither the usb programming or CA wiring out of the controller works as I ordered it to. I think I have the CA wiring sorted now by rewiring it to the correct locations on the board but it seems the current software isn't compatible with teh EB3xx boards.

If anyone has successfully programmed these EB3xx boards let me know what you're using and hook a brother up!

Ah interesting my Xlyte controller is a EB218.

I am going to try popping it out the case later today, if I can get out of going out for a meal with the girlfriend and one of her lost cause friends. She seems to befriend all the hopeless case mutants / mental retards in the area as she feels sorry for them...very noble and worthwhile I agree...just as long as she does not expect me to get involved...it is just when she invites them home......bad enough

file.php

Well the answer appears to be NO

This board although it is a EB218...will not program.

I fitted a set of leads to the 5 pads on the board and mated them up to my Lyen USB programming lead, ..nothing.. I swapped the TX RX leads, but still no programming, no response from the board at all.

The controller has not had power on it for a couple of weeks now, so maybe there needs to be residual power in the caps for it to program?

Power in the caps would dissipate in likely minutes or less (probably seconds), drained thru the various paths in the controller, so I doubt that's it.

amberwolf said:
Power in the caps would dissipate in likely minutes or less (probably seconds), drained thru the various paths in the controller, so I doubt that's it.

On the Lyen controller yes. but this one actually no, the caps seem to stay charged for a very long time. butI have no idea. if these are charged up or not

I regularly every day for 2 months, unplugged the battery from controller each night, charged the pack and plugged straihht back in the next morning and never used a pre charge resistor.
Even when this controller first arrived I just ugged it straight in to the pack
It only ever flashed me when connecting the pack a couple of times, and that was after I had first attempted to power it up and ride away with no battery connected, therrby drainingthe caps
Otherwise it used to stay charged for a long time

Am pretty sure I discharged it before removing the bkard from the case the other day. buf really cant remember now

Hyena said:
So you managed to get the new crystalyte 18 fet board to program Neil ? I have a 12 fet here and I can't for the life of me get it to flash.

This is the model I have, eb312 board, 116 chip, has the programming interface but it doesn't seem to work with the usual parameter designer software.

View attachment 1

I did notice that the tx and rx pads are in swapped locations compared to other infineon boards such as lyens here

I tried swapping those around and the 2 +5v wires incase they were wired to the wrong side of the push button and also a different usb programmer but still no luck. Anyone else tried these new 12 fet boards and had any success ? :?

The USB interface on this controller originally had 3 of the CA DP wires wrongly connected to it :roll:

how is working EB312 compare to EB212?
do you mention any difference?
I have offer to buy controller with 312 board an i am in doubt it is any sense -it is any better or it is the same as old model where know how to program :shock:
those controller should have sensor/sensorless possibility not sure if this is useful or not
:?:

Am building her one of her own...see this thread I am starting on it

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31116&p=450755#p450755

eugen said:
how is working EB312 compare to EB212?
do you mention any difference?
I have offer to buy controller with 312 board an i am in doubt it is any sense -it is any better or it is the same as old model where know how to program :shock:
I'm sure programming for these will become available shortly, it's just something new for the moment that we haven't caught up on.
The controllers function perfectly fine for normal use, it's only for those of us that like to mod and tweek them that are limited by not being able to program them, and even then it's trivial.

EB3xx programming lead requires some changes to the connections on the programming lead and also it requires the pins in the plug to be moved around a bit. The programming lead for an EB2xx just needs to be modded. EB2xx SW does not work on the EB3xx. Below is a pic of how the plug is connected and fitted to the board for the EB3xx boards. I cannot share the SW openly and if I give it to a customer, I would expect they do not share it openly. I have to respect the wishes of the source of the SW, it's not my choice.

View attachment 1

I would say the EB3xx is a big improvement over the EB2xx for high rpm, low winding resistance and low inductance motors. There were some issues with the EB2xx on the Mac/BMC motors, moreso the low turn high speed motors when used with the smaller controllers, these are now resolved with the EB3xx with the right setup. For DD motors the EB2xx is fine AFAIK. EB3xx has a nice 1 touch cruise function, which I use all the time, I also find it to be much more progressive if set up properly on difficult loads. The EB2xx can be a bit twitchy on hard to drive low resistance, low inductance motors and the safety current protection is a bit too quick to kick in on this type motor.

Remove R203 (capacitor bleed resistor, same part number on EB2 and EB3) and there is no current draw when the low power circuit is disconnected. That is all that crystalyte and others do when they fit a switch. I don't have a switch on my controllers just yet, but do now remove R203 so it is easy to fit a low power switch.

Cheers
Paul

Hi paul

What do you know about programming the EB2XX Crystalyte boards?

It is EB218-A-2

I have tried with the standard software and with a programming lead from Ed Lyen, but it won't flash up. Do you know if other software is available for that board too?

Neil

Hi Neil,

the connections on the programming lead for the EB2xx boards are as below:

The wire links between the prolific device and plug are a little different. I need to double check, but if I remember correctly, the only difference is that the yellow wire is linked to the red for the EB2xx programming cable, not the white. I haven't messed with the Crystalyte version, there may be some differences that mean Parameter designer does not work. I used the standard parameter designer SW that can be downloaded from the Infineon programming thread in the Tech Reference section to program the EB2xx controllers.

Hi Paul.
For a ,normal, non Crystalyte EB218 board, I can program them fine.

I have a EB218 AS-1 from Lyen that programs ok, it is just the EB218-A-2 version from Xlyte that I can't program

just wondering if you knew for sure what the difference is

Back