2 Brake/cruise cancel levers/ 1 connector/ how to wire?

chris22104

100 mW
OK, I have two brake levers with the cruise cancel feature /connectors. My Lyen controller has only one matching connector. To eliminate some of the wiring going from the front to the back, I want to tie the one into the other up front, and have just the one cable/connector coming back to the speed controller. But I want both levers to be able to cancel the cruise. I should wire them in series so when touched, either lever would break the signal, correct? (NOT wired in parallel, right?) Circuit-wise, basically, one big loop. Please confirm!
Thanks guys!
Chris

Is the circuit is NO or NC?

ya wire it parallel.

technically you can wire it in series if you wanted to..but you would have to pull both lever to stop the motor, 1 or the other wouldnt work alone.
this applies if the circuit is Normally open

if the circuit is normally closed (which i dont think the brake circuits are) then it would work wired either series or parallel.

but if parallel connected on Normally closed circuit both lever would have to be pulled to stop the motor

skeetab5780 said:
if the circuit is normally closed (which i dont think the brake circuits are) then it would work wired either series or parallel.
Let's see that parallel circuit work.

it would work youd just have to use both brakes at the same time, but thats besides the point because its Normally open isnt it? alot of us here have Lyen controllers including myself.

I'll check one of the levers with an ohm meter to see if it is a closed circuit, until the lever is pulled (then open.) Will report back....

Ok, got it. They are open circuits, until a brake lever is pulled, then closed. Just the opposite of what I was thinking they would be. So you guys are right; parallel is correct, so either lever wil cancel the cruise control! Thanks again guys!
Chris

Chris, did you get a pedal sensor from Lyen too? if so what order are the colours on the pedal sensor plug? and what do they correspond to on the controller plug?
Thanks
Neil

Ok, it's open circuit. If you wire it series, then how does the circuit get closed if only one lever is pulled? Seems like paralell is the correct answer if it's an open circuit till you pull the brake. That way either one or both could close the circuit.

Personally, I never found it hard to remember to let off throttle when braking. But one lever working could be nice if you had a runaway situation on your throttle.

NeilP said:
Chris, did you get a pedal sensor from Lyen too? if so what order are the colours on the pedal sensor plug? and what do they correspond to on the controller plug?
Thanks
Neil
I didn't get a pedal sensor....

dogman said:
Ok, it's open circuit. If you wire it series, then how does the circuit get closed if only one lever is pulled? Seems like paralell is the correct answer if it's an open circuit till you pull the brake. That way either one or both could close the circuit.

Personally, I never found it hard to remember to let off throttle when braking. But one lever working could be nice if you had a runaway situation on your throttle.
If you wired them in series, you would have to pull both levers to cancel the cruise signal. Parallel is correct; I even checked it with my ohm meter after I cut and soldered the wiring together up front, with only the single wire running back along the frame to the single connector/controller. Either lever (one at a time,) closes the circuit. Regarding the throttle, it's not a matter of remembering to let off it. The cruise automatically sets when you hold your throttle in one position for 10 seconds or longer. Then you can let go of the thumb throttle, and maintain that speed. Hitting either brake lever cancels the cruise, just like touching the brake pedal in your car....

Back