I am ebike-infected.
I've pedalled a lot in my life, no competing, but getting to places and enjoying open air while at it. Always had sh**ty bikes, not secondhand, more like ninthhand. My best bike was probably a 2nd WW army bicycle. REAL heavy, but rolled like a dream and great to cruise, comfortable too with a really springy saddle. Most my bikes i busted taking shortcuts thru trails and stuff. 2 my bikes (the better ones) were stolen. Then finally i bought class A freeride bike (instead of a car!) and i was in exctacy. That baby would go anywhere, i would ride down stairs just for the fun of it and all that stuff. Im sure many here relate to this. Anyway, there's only 1 drawback to it and that is ofcourse weight which makes the uphills a lot of work, which comes uncomfortable for my lazy butt, especially on longer rides, like when im going places, instead of just roaming for fun.
So, motivated by my laziness, curiosity, need to learn new stuff, and my wish to do cool things i dreamed of as a kid, -i have been recently reading a fair amount about ebikes and conversions. Also went and did a testdrive on the bionx 250W system on a hardtail mountainbike. The ride was sweet, but i was annoyed at the 25kmh border. So i decided to see if it would be possible to build a custom rig. First i was thinking small, but soon infection spread (as i found ES board) and i decided to do this properly. Maybe not legal to the letter, but real-life useful, fun, economical and safe transport. Oh yea, and green too baby!
With the ebike-project i hope get a versatile bike that i can (not in order of priority):
- freeride in trails thru forest, climb local cliffs and do general no-trail driving and easy DH
- freeride in the concrete jungle, not having to worry about street stones, bumps, stairs etc.
i do realize that i cannot bunnyhop the bike afterwards as well, but that is
small payoff for the eternal backwind!
- ride fast on the streets/roads of suburbia
- ride on the slower roads without being constantly overtaken & harassed by homicidal steel box drivers
- ride silently (and stealthily) basically anywhere. I dont like to smell like 2 stroke gasoline,
dont like the sound either. I want my bike silent and smokeless!
- pedal to base when it malfunctions. which, being built from quality components, -it shouldnt!
- use to haul ~20kg of payload in a trailer-wagon (kids/groceries/gear etc)
- leave outside the shop etc, without being tormented to anxiety over possible vandalism/theft.
- recharge conveniently and..
- use without a fear of exploding, electrocuting or burning anyone. myself included! I want it stonerproof!
- use to travel long distance too. (patiently and pedaling!)
- ride all year round
- Summer 15 to 35 Celcius
- Fall +10C to -10C + Rain + Dark
- Winter -25C to +5C + Snow + Sleet + Ice + SALT + Dark
- Spring 0 to +20C + Wet
- carry up stairs if need be. So preferably < 45 Kg
- maintain by myself and possibly even upgrade in the future.
- use to cut down on my car and gas expenses by using the ebike to ride distances uncomfortable or unpractical for pedaling.
- etc. im sure i forgot something.
Now, I really know *Very Little* about electronics so could i - please please pretty please - Get a mentor for my project? Maybe you experienced cats could help me out?
I promise to post plenty pretty pictures of the project!
SO...underneath is the rig as i have planned it. I would appreciate any input spoken by knowledge and experience. Perhaps i could save on some components, perhaps all are not necessary, maybe i missed some vital components? Maybe there are better suited/qualified components, maybe there are component mismatches etc. I dont know. PLEASE enlighten me! The goal is to build excellent allround freeride-ebike from high quality components.
According to ebike-simulator this ebike will, without driver's watts:
- max at about 58 kmh on flat, enough power for about about 20km having max torque of 135N-m
- cruise at half power 33 kmh, for about 2 hours / 60km
- eco-travel @ 22kmh with 1/3 power for about 4h reaching 90km
My Kona Coiler (size 19)
Freeride fullsuspension bike, about 17kg i think.
hayes9 Hydraulic discbrakes, sektor RL fork, fox vanillaR rearwheel susp.
Sun & Mavic DH rims. I also have generic semislicks + tioga's DH knobbies for tires.
This is a GREAT bike, if a bit heavy. Can handle everything i dare to ride NP.
very robust bike, I even once crashed with a car and the car broke but my steed was unharmed!
(myself, i rolled over the hood and survived with few bruises)
Very stable at speeds, i've ridden it at about 60kmh, couldnt pedal faster! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ux9b_ldQqAw/T ... oiler1.jpg
This here not my bike, but same frame, looks size 19 too..
72Volt 45A digital sensorless controller for brushless motor http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 296&page=1
or this? http://www.ebikes.ca/store/photos/C7240-NC.jpg
- Is it possible to use these controllers stably with 88 volt system?
- I notice there are also some ES members selling modified HiVolt controllers,
maybe 1 of those? they do highvoltage, do they do lowvoltage too?
HT 3525 rearwheel motor http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 295&page=1
- with torque for forestclimbing
- silent i hope!
- could cope with 88 volts without much overheating in simulation..
538,00 Battery (10Ah, 88,8 volts)
Batteries from hobbyking
6 * Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 25C 22,2 volts Long Lipo Pack
2 * Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C 22,2 volts Lipo Pack
All batteries will go inside a box that will go inside the frame-triangle.
? Wires&stuff / battery harness and all those wires and connectors.
It is 8 batteries...how much for an harness made by skilled hands?
I dont have wires and stuff laying about in abundance..
In fact, is it possible to get a good set of robust wiring for the entire system?
And some spare Hquality connectors and wires for inevitable replacements?
It would be cool if it was possible to carry external 88volt battery for extra Ah
in a backbag that i could just plug in for long trips...
and maybe a recharger to charge while away from base.
Large Screen Stand Alone Cycle Analyst 2.23 http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 277&page=1
- is this compatible with 88volt system?
70,00 Torque arm * 2
Torque arm universel REV3 long http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 277&page=1
- or maybe 2 of those Torque-Pacmans from doctorbass, are they still available?
maybe someone has used them already on a coiler/stinky frame?
15,00 Regulator/ Throttle
Nothing-fancy full grip throttle. http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 260&page=1
half grip throttle would be ok too...maybe even better for freeride?
Anyone has experience on this?
17,50 Cruiser - dont know if i will need this.. http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 260&page=1
17,50 E break http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/produ ... 261&page=1
does this work with hydraulic diskbrakes? is it robust and can handle a little rough?
I wish for stonerproof one connection allpowerful, allknowing automatic gurulipocharger
Where can i get one? preferably portable?
Powersupply 12/24V for charger,
can i use ATX powersupply? i have one spare i think 500W
Well, many seem to say it's essential, and i too see the sense in being able to check
invidual cell voltage levels! http://www.progressiverc.com/index.php/celllog-8m.html
to (emergency) cut power between battery and system.
20,00 Usb DC converter for iphone musics and gps etc
already have a shimano front wheel hub dynamo, so maybe i could use that
as a standalone usb charger?
- oh, but i hear that hubdynamos can overload usb devices at speeds > 30kmh?
PAS system and maybe a switch etc to lower voltage/amps to make ebike pass a possible police test
(pedal-assisted, max speed 25kmh, no independet throttle)
The PAS would be useful too if it were torque-sensored like bionx and not speed-sensored.
However, it would be nice to to be able to bypass it at will. Is this practically achievable.
???,?? What Else?
~ 1500,00 TOTAL --> add mailing and tolls --> add 10-20% for extras and.. - wholy batbike! that's expensive!
+ more-monies Some steal-proofing? keys? alarm? gps-tracker? wardogs?
I appreciate any input/feedback/comment!
Thank you all and May the Volt be with you!
ps..did i just win the longest post award ?
sorry to strain your attention span!