Connector damaged by a short circuit

bonoboca

100 mW
Hi,

A weird accident with a short circuit has damaged my recharging connector of my battery pack (and a bite of my left hand :cry: ), take a look to the picture!

exemplecable.jpg

The metal in the yellow zone has completely disappeared (what we see is the plastic), but after a test it still work well to charge. My question now: for any reason, is it a bad idea to continue to recharge with it?
and it can be longer to recharge?

Thank you
scuze my english :roll:

If it still charges then it should be OK, but I would see about finding a new plug.
It might not work if the plug is rotated so the fried part is lined up with the contact.

Looks like a WE cheapo plug. Mine lasted about a day too. Its real vulnerable to shorting if you mix up positive and negative. Lots of good charger plugs for sale cheap on the scooter parts websites.

Thank you Fechter!

"Looks like a WE cheapo plug"

Yes it is...
Thanks for the tip I will take a look. If you have a link to an interresting product I will be interrested to see it. :shock:

I'm such a cheapo, I just spliced on plugs from two dollar extention cords. At least both positive and negative are female on them on the battery side. I do have to be carefull not to plug in the charger backwards though! electricscooterparts.com has lots of connectors for chargers.

I neglected to mention how I learned to be more carefull. I have the charger plugs well marked now. I'm just that cheap, but it was a good, right now ,solution at the time.

I did a similar short when i was changing controllers last weekend. The positive from the trailer plug i use for charging hit an apparently grounded metal part from the key switch.

Flash, Bang, black hand, metal sprayed, and dissolved terminal on the charging lead.

Amazing how much power is in those little batteries. No fuse needed... I will just burn through whatever is shorting out, fast as lightening. :shock:

Back