9c clone motor won't run

shinyballs

1 kW
- Tested continuity between phases
- Checked phases and hall wires for shorts
- Checked for resistance between the phase wires and the motor axle
- controller, throttle and hall sensors are fine
- wiring combination between motor and controller

Did the tests above, I also checked the wiring/connectors and don't see any damage. I'm using it with a kelly kbs and CON121 in sensorless/sensored mode.

Attachments

• HPIM2138 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM2138 - Copy.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 1,319
  • HPIM2141 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM2141 - Copy.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,319
Can you be a little more specific on the "won't run"? Does it make any noises? Pull current? Nothing at all? Do you have a second controller to try it with? Did you check the controller to make sure you have +5v from the hall positive to negative pins?

Halls not shorted. Do they actually function? They could be dead, but off.

The other likely culprit, just the ol plug connection gone bad thing, but surely you did confirm voltage past the plug?

Retested again and the halls are bad. The stator is bent, is there a way to straighten it without causing some damage?

Attachments

• HPIM2159 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM2159 - Copy.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,190
I suspected that about the halls.

Looks like it's permanently damaged to me. But it's mild steel, it might bend back. Then be easy to bend back to crooked too.

By using the cover as a guide, I carefully straightened the stator using a car jack. Motor has been running smooth and quiet for 300 miles now.

Attachments

• HPIM2174 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM2174 - Copy.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 1,071
  • HPIM2182 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM2182 - Copy.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 1,071
  • HPIM2218 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM2218 - Copy.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,071
good job with bending back the stator.

thinking about it the stator is a non load bearing part it simply only has to hold the coils stationary whilst teh hub spins and thus unless something were to smack it from the side again i doubt it will deform again unless the can or the bearings fail and then push on the side of the stator.

How does a stator get bent?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=117908&mode=view In this picture, what are those little round things over the hub? Some sort of cap for vent holes?

Congrats on fixing the stator there, very nice. I like the carjack idea.

I am intrigued to know how a stator got bent? there are no side forces applied to it in an assembled motor under any conditions. Was this caused during disassembly?

Mounting the axle in a lathe with the tail stock centre in the other end of the axle would show any "bend" very well and allow truing to very accurate alignment.

It was apparently from dissassembly. I used a gear puller and never had to use much force, but it was rusty inside and is now pretty apparently bent.

Back