EM3ev Infineon Controller Regen

Hello ES members,

I recently received a 72V 40A Infineon controller purchased from EM3ev. Almost everything on it works great e.g. cruise, 3 speed switch, e-brake etc. The hall and phase wires were a bit short but I replaced them with a longer wiring harness from my dead controller.

Anyway, the EM3ev controller supposedly comes with regenerative braking via a white wire you plug in to another white wire on the outside of the controller. Regenerative braking is supposed to be enabled when it's plugged in.

Right now, when I've enabled regenerative braking, all it seems to do is cut the throttle signal while the motor is running. The strange part is, there's definitely no regeneration going on (while the e-brake is engaged) when the motor is running FORWARD. However if I'm holding the e-brake/regeneration button, the motor is difficult to turn by hand BACKWARDS.

On the controller, there are jumpers marked EBS+ and EBS-. I have no idea what these 2 jumpers do, and the documentation that came with the controller leaves much to be desired. The controller came with BK soldered to ground (assuming this is the motor cut-off), and EBS- is soldered to ground.

Does anyone know what is going on or how to enable regenerative braking, or please tell me what the jumpers EBS+ and EBS- do? Could it be detecting a freshly charged battery pack and not engaging the regeneration?

Cheers.

It's a Crystalyte X5304 direct drive motor. Regenerative braking worked flawlessly with my old (now dead) controller.

Oh, the motor is easy to spin forwards regardless of whether the e-brake/regen button is engaged, but difficult to spin backwards ONLY when the regen button is engaged.

Ok so I tested another one of my e-bikes (different motor and controller), and when the regen is engaged, the wheel is difficult to turn backwards as well. There is some resistance when turning it forward but it's nothing compared to turning the wheel backwards.

So from what I see this is normal.

I'm guessing now that the EBS- and EBS+ are different levels of regen. I'll do some more research.

Having a similar issue with my 18fet controller. Emailed Paul, and he wrote back saying that the controller won't regen over pack voltage of 75 volts. Not sure what pack voltage youre running with. The only way to change it is by modding the R12 value so that it allows regen higher voltages. I don't know much about it (yet) but I'm sure the answers are here. Paul suggested running battery down ( if poss) such that V is below 75 to see if regen kicks in. White wires are all you need to connect to enable regen
K

kdog said:
Having a similar issue with my 18fet controller. Emailed Paul, and he wrote back saying that the controller won't regen over pack voltage of 75 volts. Not sure what pack voltage youre running with. The only way to change it is by modding the R12 value so that it allows regen higher voltages. I don't know much about it (yet) but I'm sure the answers are here. Paul suggested running battery down ( if poss) such that V is below 75 to see if regen kicks in. White wires are all you need to connect to enable regen
K

I eventually solved the issue. It seems that even with the regen jumper enabled, it wasn't enabled in the controller parameters. I'm not sure if it was switched off by default or not. My friends identical controller came with regen enabled, and yet mine did not.

Using the Infineon controller software (somewhere around on Endless-Sphere) and the program cable (also from EM3EV) I can now switch the regen between 'Off', 'Moderate', 'Strong', and 'Unlimited'. The 'Strong' setting will regen at 84V for my 72V pack at up to 16A! It's scary when the regen feature provides better brake strength than my hydraulic brakes do. However even on 'Moderate' the regeneration is still fairly strong, and pretty useless if you want to regen down a hill (unless you like rolling at 10kph). Good for additional braking power though.

Back