Crystalyte Crown on DH ebike?

karelski

10 mW
My actual setup:
DH Canyon frame 200mm/200mm
Magic Pie hub motor
Kelly KBS72101L 72V 35A controller
Battery 72V, 15A LiFePo4 (24x LiFePO4 3.2V 15Ah WINA)
Now max speed about 50-60 mph, max 60A on Cycle Analyst

I think to upgrade this setup. I ride mostly offroad but I want to reach higher speed on the road as well. Magic Pie is not made for such usage :D , uphill is sometimes overheated but in a while it goes surprisingly further.
I suppose to swap Magic pie to Crystalyte Crown TC 100 hub motor.
Do you think I can use my Kelly KBS72101L 72V 35A controller or better to buy e.g. Kelly KBS72121X, 55A, 72V or another one?
Crystalyte crown has 140mm dropout, my bike dropout is 135mm. Will it be possible to fit, some experience?

Or better go mid drive?
Construction would be more complicated, but riding offroad perhaps more friendly?
There will be problem where to place my LiFePo battery 72V...
Could you recommend some mid drive set?

Thanks for your comment.

Attachments

• DH.jpg
    DH.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 687
Your 135mm dropout will fit fine. I have 135mm dropout and I just stretch it on both side a bit.

As for the controller, I would get something beefier from Kelly you recommend. That being said, what you listed should be fine.

I run mine at 100V though and I have the tc-80 vs the tc-100. Keeping the tc-100 on the 26 wheel will cause it to heat up fast than my setup, but it all comes down to what your ride is like. If you are hitting the hills all the time, I recommend you get the tc-80 and sacrifice the top speed for better performance on hills and startup.

http://kellycontroller.com/kbl9620124-96v200abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-1122.html

This one is the Kelly controller I use. It is ice cold after 23 miles of high speed and hilly ride. It is expensive, but I rather pay now for a reliable setup than cheap out and have problems down the road.

Gotta love that fender. I like to use a light seatpost rack like a fender, and then attach something to it to extend the mud shield down to the bb. Works great, and the rack top can be a good place to mount a controller, or just carry a pump and that wind shell you needed half an hour ago.

Karelski,

Well done.

Regards,

Jaszewski

mvly said:
I run mine at 100V though and I have the tc-80 vs the tc-100. Keeping the tc-100 on the 26 wheel will cause it to heat up fast than my setup, but it all comes down to what your ride is like. If you are hitting the hills all the time, I recommend you get the tc-80 and sacrifice the top speed for better performance on hills and startup.
http://kellycontroller.com/kbl9620124-96v200abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-1122.html
This one is the Kelly controller I use. It is ice cold after 23 miles of high speed and hilly ride. It is expensive, but I rather pay now for a reliable setup than cheap out and have problems down the road.

Thanks mvly!
I will go tc-80!
Hesitating whether KBS72121X,55A,24-72V, Mini Brushless DC Controller 1,7 lbs (smaller and lighter and cheaper)
or KEB72300X,24V-72V,150A,3.0KW, E-bike Brushless Controller 4,2 lbs
I think you will say - go KEB72300X,24V-72V,150A,3.0KW :mrgreen:

Now I use 9 speed freewheel on Magic Pie 2 motor. The 9 speed freewheel is fairly wide. I think it will not be possible to use 9 speed freewheel on the crown motor? I will have to use single speed freewheel only?

What`s your setup - motor-controller-batterry? (tc80-kbl9620124-?) What a bike?

Your present setup with a 35a controller is pulling 2.3c off you lifepo4 cells, would it be wise to go to a bigger controller on this battery? You would be pushing your pack to the point of shortening its cycle life and capacity!

Sounds to me like the battery is running at or very close to capacity all ready, If you go to the trouble of changing the motor and controller the battery will be unsuitable so that will need changing too, if you want more torque power and speed it is time for a new build I think!

The spoke pattern in your back wheel looks a bit random? or has it got a few broken spokes?

Tench said:
Your present setup with a 35a controller is pulling 2.3c off you lifepo4 cells, would it be wise to go to a bigger controller on this battery? You would be pushing your pack to the point of shortening its cycle life and capacity!

Sounds to me like the battery is running at or very close to capacity all ready, If you go to the trouble of changing the motor and controller the battery will be unsuitable so that will need changing too, if you want more torque power and speed it is time for a new build I think!

The spoke pattern in your back wheel looks a bit random? or has it got a few broken spokes?

GWL/Power WINA LiFePO4 Power 3.2V/15Ah aluminium case - the cell is capable to provide short time discharge current up to 5C or 3C continously.
That is 45A continously and 75A short time. Battery is without BMS, only with balancer on each cell. I understand the battery will work close to its capacity...

As the spokes I don`t have any problem. Spokes are 2.6mm and I`m 143lbs only :D Photo is maybe not good quality :(

Back