Advice and Recommendations needed please!

marqtte

10 mW
I recently purchased this item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heinzmann-235W-24V-Electric-Bicycle-Rear-Motor-Ebike-Europa-Wheel-NIB-/310925528828

It's a Heinzmann 24V hub motor. I was hoping to just hook it up to my existing controller but the wires are different. There are three main wires out of my controller and the Heinzmann only has two wires. I read somewhere that maybe the controller is in the motor? I doubt it because there's only one other set of wires coming out of the motor and they are two small wires on one clip. I'm guessing that I need to buy a controller for this motor, right? If yes, what do I look for?

Here's some background on my previous post. I decided to upgrade my bike rather than buy a new one.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57812

I should mention that I plan on running this at 36V.

Three wires sounds like a sensorless brushless motor controller to me.

The motor will run fine on a brushed motor controller. Keep the watts below 500w, that motor can melt pretty easy. 36v 15 amps ok, or 24v 20 amps. I melted one really quick with 36v 35 amps.

keep the thermal switch hooked up if you have it. That's two tiny wires from the hub, in addition to the two larger ones.

Usually the 24v had this, but the 36v did not.

guys, thanks for the quick feedback! For $13, it's worth a try so I bought one. I don't plan on getting the amps up too high. Plus, I do a lot of the work by pedaling and this bike will be used in the winter only so the cold air should keep the motor cool.

Is there an easy way to tell the plus vs. minus for the wires?

I just spotted an error in my last post, and corrected it. Looks like you understood what I meant though.

Plus and minus on what, the motor or the controller? On the motor, try one way, see which way the motor spins. When the motor rolls the bike forward, you have it right.

Two wires from the controller also, and one might even be a red + wire. But I won't bet my life on wire colors on china controllers. :wink: But since it doesn't matter on the motor, it doesn't matter on the controller either. Just find the forward one, and you are good to go.

I got the controller and now I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to the motor and get the motor turning.

There are six sets of wires:
1. #14 black/red. no label. This is obviously the input 36V power.
2. #14 blue and brown wires that say motor on the connector. These must go to the motor.
3. about #18 wire. three wires, blue, red, black, connector says derailleur on it.
4. about #16 wire. two wires black and red. connector says charge. This must be for external charging.?
5. about #18 wire. one blue and one red. red one is fused. says lock on connector. I'm not sure what this one does.
6. about #18 wire. one yellow one black. says brake on the connector. My guess is that these would go to the brakes handles to disconnect power and stop the motor.

So where's the throttle? How do you more or less start the motor turning? What I did so far is connect 36 V and I see 36V across the charge connector and the lock connector. Any ideas? I'm not seeing any voltage across the motor connector.

so I'm pretty sure that the third item i listed is actually the throttle. After I shorted the 'lock' connector (this must be the on/off switch). The 'derailleur' connector showed 5V between the wires. Now I have to figure out how get the 'throttle' to work. ....

Update: I shorted the lock connector and hooked up my old throttle and everything seems to work fine. I wasn't sure which wires to hook up together though. red to red was obvious but the other two wires I just guessed. Does it really matter for these ? It's probably just a potentiometer anyway so it shouldn't matter, right?

Back