Electrical connectors

drsolly

100 W
It took me quite a while to research this; I thought I'd save other people the grief. The problem I had was, I knew what the connectors looked like, I didn't know what they were called. And I couldn't find an ebike vendor that sold connectors.

I find two main types of connectors on ebikes. There's the white ones such as the one that's used for connecting the halls on the motor to the controller. Those are 6-way (in a 2 by 3 layout); there's also 2-way and 3-way versions of those. To find them on Ebay, search for "2.8 mm connector"

The other type I see a lot of, are black, with all the wires in a row. To find those, search for "jst 2.5 sm". You can get 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 way connectors.

Phase wires are usually connected with tiny bullet connectors; when I look at them, I don't have a lot of confidence in them, so I cut them off and replace them with 4mm bullets. But if you really want them, I think they're "Bullet Connectors 3.9mm" on Ebay, and their main advantage is that they're very, very cheap; I got 10 pair, with sleeve, for £2.66.

Power wires, when they do have a connector, have all sorts, but to find one commion type, search for "6.3 mm electrical connector". I replace them with EC5 connectors, because I have to plug and unplug frequently; partly to charge up, and partly because I use the same batteries for all my bikes. EC5s seem to make a good connection, and yet you don't have to fight with them to get them apart.

You're not the first with this problem. Searching this forum can often help find the name, google search has an option to show pictures which then link you to the originating site. ebike part supplier sies are worth loking through. If you can't find them then take a picture and post here- someone will probably know.
Or get radical? Change both plug and socket to one you can find- you can fit better connectors.

I guessed that I wasn't the first with thisproblem, and I won't be the last, which is why I thought a posting would be useful.

Searching this forum is difficult if you don't know the name of what you're looking for.

I used Google image search to find pictures of the connectors, and tracked back to the page the image was on, but it needed quite a lot of legwork.

A US supplier who has both of those types as well as separate pins and the proper crimping tools is Electric Scooter Parts

Feel free to write in the wiki. That's a good place to store basic info on hardware.

You just have to log in again, once you are in the wiki. Then you can write, or edit there.

Back