Ping Battery with Hill Topper Motor

kyalami321

10 µW
Hello all,

e-bike noob here. I bought a Clean Republic Hill Topper kit with a 10 mile lithium battery (spec'd to be 4.4Ah) and a 250W 8Fun motor which has sufficient power for me (I like to pedal along) but not enough range. Would it be possible to purchase a PingBattery 24V 30AH LifePO4 battery and re-wire it to the Hill Topper kit? If 4.4Ah = 10 miles, 30AH = 68 miles (at the same power, of course). Is this a feasible idea?

Thanks,
Tom

kyalami321 said:
Hello all,

e-bike noob here. I bought a Clean Republic Hill Topper kit with a 10 mile lithium battery (spec'd to be 4.4Ah) and a 250W 8Fun motor which has sufficient power for me (I like to pedal along) but not enough range. Would it be possible to purchase a PingBattery 24V 30AH LifePO4 battery and re-wire it to the Hill Topper kit? If 4.4Ah = 10 miles, 30AH = 68 miles (at the same power, of course). Is this a feasible idea?

Thanks,
Tom

Yep. No problems with that at all.

Great! Now for a noob with electrics ... what would be the process of adapting the Ping Battery to the Hill Topper kit? Would I use the Ping or the Hill Topper controller? Would I be able to take this to an electrician or hobby shop and have them do it for me?

The controller would remain the same one you have now.

The process would involve unplugging your old battery, and plugging in the new battery. Then finding a way to carry the new battery. it will be roughly 7 times the size and weight of the old battery.
Unfortunatly, the plugs may not be the same, and that would involve putting a new plug on the new battery to match your old battery.

If that is beyond your skills, some RC hobby shops may be able to help you, or a battery service place such as Batteries+ in the U.S.
It would help to know what part of the world you're in, as we're an international forum. Someone may know of a place near you that can help.

OK, that's really good to know. I'd rather pay for a professional to do it than mess up critical parts like lithium batteries. I'm in Miami FL

30 ah of 24v is the same size and weight as a 48v 15 ah ping. So the box is about 16 pounds, and fits in some of the larger rear rack bags. I found it fit better for me in old metal tool or fishing tackle boxes. lots of the bike bags were about 2 inches too short.

Range, my personal best with that much pingbattery was 39 miles. Still a very respectable distance. But of course, if you pedal harder than I do, range gets longer.

All you will really need to do, is to change the plug on your kit, to match the plug on your bike. We can, with some good pictures you send us, walk you through how to do it with no mistakes.

I actually went to a battery shop today and they told me that a lithium phosphate battery is very dangerous, the guy gave me an examplE of how a 3volt LifePo4 battery had caught on fire when he put a screwdriver next to it. True?

Well any battery is dangerous and can catch fire if abused enough. LiFePO4 are as safe as the AA batteries you stick in your TV remote, and even safer than the LiMnCo cells in your cell phone. The only possable way a fire could start from a screwdriver near a battery is if he layed the non insulated shaft across the terminals long enough for it to get hot enough to catch the plastic handle or something else near it on fire. If that was the case, the fire would have started from any battery, and was a result of carelessness on the part of the clerk, not any fault of a battery.

Gotcha, i was thinking the same thing. I will post pictures of my rig as soon as possible

Back