Help with setup please

firemids

1 mW
Hi I'm hoping for a bit of help . I have recently sold my chinese ebike I built. Bit of a heavy beast and found someone selling a brilliant ebike already built with the exact spec I was wanting to build . Bonus . I now have a nice full sus specialized. With crystalyte hs3540 rear motor, cycle analyst v2.2 , grin tech 40A brushless controller , and I'm running 3 x 6s 5000mah nanotech batteries . Soon to be another 3 giving me 10amps . My question is is set my c.a to max to see how much I can get out of it. It does a nice 35mph with me peddling a bit but I want more lol. Iv noticed when I'm Accelerating from stand still or hitting a big hill . It will pull well over 30amps getting towards 40amps but on the flat when I'm doing about 35mph it won't pull above about 900watts ? Can some one explain this to me as I'd luv it to go above this on e flat and hence go a bit faster ? Is it the batteries ( they are 35c ) or the controller ( even though its 40 amps )

Would appreciate any help
Kind regards Paul

firemids said:
... but on the flat when I'm doing about 35mph it won't pull above about 900watts ? Can some one explain this to me as I'd luv it to go above this on e flat and hence go a bit faster ? Is it the batteries ( they are 35c ) or the controller ( even though its 40 amps )
Would appreciate any help
Kind regards Paul

Motors are at their most efficient at high rpm's. Once you are up to speed your motor doesn't need any more current then 900 watts to go that fast. Sounds like you are at your maximum speed for your setup. You may need to increase your voltage to go faster, but that means potential heat to your motor, wiring harness, connectors, not to mention the heat to your skin if you crash. (Got your self well protected from a crash at those speeds?) If you want to go faster you will probably need to increase your voltage.

:D

Either your motor speed has maxed out, or the CA is limiting it. Check the CA settings as you should get ~38mph on 18s lipo when fully charged.

It could be amp limiting, but it may also be simply that he is at about the max for 18s with that controller and motor.

I don't know that motor well enough to say, never had one. You can change your thread title by editing the first post.

Mention top speed, and HS 3540. That will attract those that know the motor best. Help with setup isn't making them read this thread.

I could change it right now, but if I did that you would not know where your thread went.

Something doesn't sound right on that setup. 18s should get you up to ~38mph but pulling around 1700watts. Unless you're in some kind of Velo or recumbant, you couldn't hit 35 with 900 watts as it takes more power than that to push a mountian bike through the air at those speeds.

I suspect your CA isn't propperly set up. You may need to verify the amp limit, speed limit, tire size, and shunt resistor value are all correct.

Good point. Maybe he's doing 45mph pulling 2000w. But has the wrong wheel size and watts calibration.

Thanks everyone for the great advise . Will take it all on board . Check my set up is correct . If so I'll then consider possibly changing the speed controller to 100 v , and poss checking out other postings on here for hs3540 setups
Thanks again everyone

It could be that you are only pulling 900w because your flat is not exactly flat. But then you'd expect to be going faster.

So maybe you are, and just need to calibrate the speed on your CA.

Back