help with an overheating/no output 24s charger from bmsbatte

sn0wchyld

100 kW
This happend ages ago, but I havent got round to doing anything about it untill now. I bought 2 chargers from BMS battery about... 2 yrs? ago now. the 900w unit works great, but the ~300w unit never did. The giant choke that you can see first pictured just cooks itself (stank out the whole house with burning insulation smell), and though it will output the desired 98v, it wont put out any power at all. I havent powered this up for quite a while now, so thought I'd ask and see if anyone knew what to look for and if its possible to fix. This one's a bit more compact than my own home made portable charger, and probably more reliable if I can get it to work at all (given mine just uses 4 cheap chinese 24v ps's in series + a fan).

cheers

IMG_0022 (Small).JPG
IMG_0016 (Small).JPG

One of those blue pots is fro voltage adjustment and the other is for amperage adjustment. If it's over heating, turn the amperage adjustment down. I don't know which is which, but you may find that info here somewhere. I've seen photos for these with them labeled on the forum. I guess you could put a meter on the output and adjust them until you found the one that changes voltage and then assume the other is the amperage adjustment.

if you check the voltage on those four diodes in a row behind the transformer, you should find about 20V on the highest one in the rectifier bridge they make up. if you look for the trace that runs over to the voltage regulator, that is the output trace to check the voltage on. use the black probe on the - output in the back. red probe on the diode end. use the 20V DC scale, looks like it will be D11 and D12.

Back