Help with controller settings, bike is slow

I have a crystalyte 406/4011 running on 12s (44.4v) 10,000mAh

I *had* it on a generic 28a controller but after the shunt mod and during a hill climb I blew it

I knew I needed something stronger

Now I have the 12fet 45a customizable em3ev infineon controller seen here: http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=38&product_id=82

I also have the usb cable and I followed the settings listed here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14836 but the bike is actually much slower than it was on the generic controller

Can anyone help me figure out why and offer suggestions on what to change (without risking breaking the controller) - I am happy monitoring the temp of the motor and I understand not to overheat

Thank you guys

Screenshot of current settings:

Try making speed 2 100%, i always thought that if using a speed switch that speed 2 was a default 100% setting?.

I don't know your motor but worth trying 25 current amp max and a higher phase current of say 65

speed setting 2 =100% ( or at least put all the settings upto 100% to test )
battery limit = 39v
stick the phase up to 60-80A
stick the battery current up to 30A ( unless you like it at 20A , this setting dont effect the top speed just how fast it gets there ) I have had similar hubs and I have them @ 50A just cos i don't like to peddle at all, but its still sluggish enough to fly under the radar
and you should be good to go

edit and put your block time to 0

Thank you guys

First Question: Battery limit going down -

If you want to utilize the LVC functionality of the controller then you will need to scale the voltages by 20%. I "fooled" the controller by changing the values of the voltage divider that it uses to read the V+ rail. The controller things that the voltage is 20% less than it actually is. If you tell the controller to set the LVC at 50V it will actually set the LVC at 60V

20% of 50V is 10V
50V + 10V = 60V

This was done to raise the maximum regen voltage and relieve an over voltage condition on the A/D input of the controller (credit to SAM-Pilot for finding that). The stock regen voltage is 75V. We wanted to have regen up to 90V

20% of 75V is 15V
75V + 15V = 90V

Here is a quick look-up table to help those who are not so math inclined.

Desired LVC Number to enter
38 V 45.6 V

I always am safe with the numbers and because lipos can be pulled down to around 3v per cell, I gave a 2v comfort zone to be safe - 36v would be 3v per cell, 38v is 3.16666v per cell.

Second question Block Time: I understand block time to be
Current limit overshoot - higher values will let you overshoot more. Current limit Damping. Values vary from 1-10

Meaning, a setting of 1 second will allow the controller to pull more than the max amperage for 1 second. Wouldnt 0 seconds make it not weaker on hard pulls?

Thank you guys alot for your help

God Bless

oops sorry, I meant low voltage limit.
Have your controller got a lvc mod? I suggest upping the lvc limit upto 48-49v initially to see what the actual voltage the bike cuts out at with a hot off the charger 12s lipo ( which should be around 50v )
your setting of 45v is ok but will soon be causing cut out problems once around 3ah have been used, 39v is a much better lvc and will be approx 8ah worth of your battery. Never rely on this lvc to protect your batterys this should be the final safety net for lvc.

you are correct about the block time but if you want to make the controller as reliable as possible then this value needs to be 0, yes it may make the bike a tad more sluggish off the line but you have enough over head with phase current limiting ( approx 150A if you have 3077 fets installed in your controller ) to allow for this and get the performance back up. A block setting higher than 0 is one of the major causes for controller failure.

quickshot23 said:
I am not sure how my FETs compare but these are what I have: IRFB4110 Mosfets

I like your idea of setting a high LVC and seeing where the actual voltage is and I will do that today

What do you think I can set my phase and rated current to based off those FETs?

Thank you

God bless

I think you can have a good safe phase current upto 150A. max battery current will depend on riding style and to how much heat gets generated in the motor and wires but I would say no more than 50A @ 48v for your motor ( 40A to be on the safe side ) the fets can handle more but your motor may not.

Awesome info -

One final question: I heard somewhere that the rated current was supposed to be half what it is actually...? So If I want 40a I set it to 20a?

This sounds odd but I dont want to set it at 40a and actually have it trying to pull 80a

Did I read wrong? Do I set it to actual values?

Thanks alot

God bless

I found where I read it - it is from the "read me" file with the software from em3ev

14. When programming a 12 fet EB312, select EB312 from “Board Type” menu, but set the current levels to only 50% of the desired current level.

Phase current should be set to between 2 and 2.5 * the “Rated” (battery) current.

Any idea what I should do with this?

Note: I set the battery current to half of 40 (20a) and it was very sluggish

quickshot23 said:
I found where I read it - it is from the "read me" file with the software from em3ev

14. When programming a 12 fet EB312, select EB312 from “Board Type” menu, but set the current levels to only 50% of the desired current level.

Phase current should be set to between 2 and 2.5 * the “Rated” (battery) current.

Any idea what I should do with this?

Note: I set the battery current to half of 40 (20a) and it was very sluggish

I use different programming software xpd_controller programmer ( http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927 ) and there is a cellman controller setting within this software and what is set in the software is what actually gets programmed. I have programmed a 12fet cellman controller with 120A phase and 90A battery without issue .there should be no over shoot of battery current as long as the block time is set to zero so if you program 20A then the max current will be 20A, yes rule of thumb is phase = 2.5x battery current

edit: if you have a real programmed battery limit of 40A then you need 100A phase

Back