Headlight Wiring? (B&M Cyo TE)

Wilco

10 µW
Has anyone had experience wiring up one of Busch & Müller's e-bike lights? I just purchased one new and there are zero instructions or wiring diagrams in the packaging (LUMOTEC IQ Cyo TE). I can probably figure it out with some trial and error, but if anyone has any knowledge to share I'd be very grateful. It appears to have four wires (2 pairs), which I assume include a set for the main LED and a set for the daytime running lights. Not sure if I'm expected to wire in my own switch(es) or if the onboard control manages that. Also, is it generally as straightforward as wiring it directly to the battery terminals (or at least the battery connector on the bike? Do I need to wire anything in between (resistors or anything else)?

Any advice welcome!

Wilco said:
Has anyone had experience wiring up one of Busch & Müller's e-bike lights? I just purchased one new and there are zero instructions or wiring diagrams in the packaging (LUMOTEC IQ Cyo TE). I can probably figure it out with some trial and error, but if anyone has any knowledge to share I'd be very grateful. It appears to have four wires (2 pairs), which I assume include a set for the main LED and a set for the daytime running lights. Not sure if I'm expected to wire in my own switch(es) or if the onboard control manages that. Also, is it generally as straightforward as wiring it directly to the battery terminals (or at least the battery connector on the bike? Do I need to wire anything in between (resistors or anything else)?

Any advice welcome!

OK - here's some 'any advice'... :wink: I have the corresponding Philips Saferide ebike light. It's made for direct connection to the bike's battery system/circuit (with some upper and lower voltage limits and observing appropriate polarity of course). Given the highly regulated European ebike market I would expect the Busch & Muller to work in exactly the same way.

As I expected, a little digging turns up the following (emphasis is mine):

from http://extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&id=36860...

IQ Technology by Busch & Müller Busch & Müller offers a large range of LED headlights that are suitable for direct connection to e-bike batteries, some of those carrying the mark approval "e" for vehicles with number plates... At the special exhibition LEV components at ISPO BIKE, Busch & Müller will show the LED headlight LUMOTEC IQ Cyo T.

IQ technology: light output of 70 Lux. With daytime running light LICHT24 - for better seeing and being seen. Sensor-controlled day and night mode. Mark of approval "e" for speed e-bikes. For DC voltages from 6 to 75 V. Connection for regular 6 V dynamo-powered rear light.

from http://www.bumm.de/produkte/lumotec-iq-cyo.html...
Google Translation:
LUMOTEC IQ Cyo for E-Bikes
Our headlights for connection to e-bike batteries are not regularly available in stores - your bike dealer can get these special variants but for you. Let us advise you there, which model is best suited for your e-bike. A selection of available versions can be found here.

LUMOTEC IQ Cyo T

Item 175Q75/6TSNE-07

* Input voltage: 6.5 to 75 V DC
* IQ Lighting: 70 Lux
* Daytime running lights LIGHT24
* Bright / dark sensor
* ON / OFF switch
* Taillight connector
* Certification for fast e-bikes
* Retail packaging / instructions

Item 175Q42/6TS04991

* Input voltage: 6-42 V DC
* Bright / dark sensor
* Without a switch (Operation only on-board system)
* Taillight connector
* Suitable for Bosch systems Performance and Active Line”

Note that at the above address there may be further instructions in German - no time to dig further I'm afraid.

Savvas

Hey Samsavvas, I've got a couple of new B&M Cyo IQ Senso T lights on the way and wasn't aware that that there were so many variants of this model.
The model is 1752QTSNDI-04 which I now find out is dynamo only compatible.

Dave McCraw says that he has successfully run the B&M dynamo lights from a battery DC power at http://mccraw.co.uk/iq-cyo-dynamo-headlight-review/
Do you think there is much difference between the models and do you reckon it would be possible and/or worthwhile to modify them for battery use?
Either that, or maybe someone is in need 2 new B&M lights (free postage within Australia).

I've got a IQ Cyo (175Q75/6NE7781) 6-75V ebike light last week and had the same problem.

I asked Busch&Müller and got this answer:

the white/black wire pair goes to the battery:
white is plus
black is minus

the green/brown wire pair powers the rear light:
green is plus
brown is minus

I tried to power it with a LiPo pack and it works. If you stay withing the rated voltages (6-42V or 6-75V depending on model) no resistors are needed.

OK - here's some 'any advice'... 😉 I have the corresponding Philips Saferide ebike light. It's made for direct connection to the bike's battery system/circuit (with some upper and lower voltage limits and observing appropriate polarity of course). Given the highly regulated European ebike market I would expect the Busch & Muller to work in exactly the same way.

As I expected, a little digging turns up the following (emphasis is mine):

from http://extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&id=36860...

IQ Technology by Busch & Müller Busch & Müller offers a large range of LED headlights that are suitable for direct connection to e-bike batteries, some of those carrying the mark approval "e" for vehicles with number plates... At the special exhibition LEV components at ISPO BIKE, Busch & Müller will show the LED headlight LUMOTEC IQ Cyo T.

IQ technology: light output of 70 Lux. With daytime running light LICHT24 - for better seeing and being seen. Sensor-controlled day and night mode. Mark of approval "e" for speed e-bikes. For DC voltages from 6 to 75 V. Connection for regular 6 V dynamo-powered rear light.

from http://www.bumm.de/produkte/lumotec-iq-cyo.html...
Google Translation:
LUMOTEC IQ Cyo for E-Bikes
Our headlights for connection to e-bike batteries are not regularly available in stores - your bike dealer can get these special variants but for you. Let us advise you there, which model is best suited for your e-bike. A selection of available versions can be found here.

LUMOTEC IQ Cyo T

Item 175Q75/6TSNE-07

* Input voltage: 6.5 to 75 V DC
* Bright / dark sensor
* ON / OFF switch
* Taillight connector
* Certification for fast e-bikes
* Retail packaging / instructions

Item 175Q42/6TS04991

* Input voltage: 6-42 V DC
* Bright / dark sensor
* Without a switch (Operation only on-board system)
* Taillight connector
* Suitable for Bosch systems Performance and Active Line”

Note that at the above address there may be further instructions in German - no time to dig further I'm afraid.

Savvas

Nine years later, I want to thank you for your post. I just purchased an iZip TriStar Plus and it comes pre-wired for front and back lights with spade connections. No one in my semi-rural area is knowledgable about that system. After much digging I figured out I needed B&M lights. I found out from the manufacturer that I have a 6 volt DC system on my eBike. Your info helped immensely in getting the right light!

Back