Adaptto BMS Battery Pack Connections / Configurations

crea2k

10 kW
Thought id set this up, so people can post circuit diagrams of the various different battery pack setups, and how they are wired up into the Adaptto BMS. Il start with this one, which is a 12 x 6s lipo pack setup. Im guessing that its correct now, after taking bits from various diagrams, but give me a shout if its not, and I will change it and re post it up, as I don't want anyone blowing anything up.

This is the original PNG file, if anyone else want to make their own pack configs.

circuit.fw.png

It looks a bit awkward wiring up 6S packs to the 4S bms boards eh!

Might be an idea to use 4S packs maybe.

Kudos

Problem is it only allows 28s before you have to start hacking about, id get through that in no time at all off roading.

I have a load of 4s and 6s cables with female plugs on if you have not already ordered some?

I have looked at your diagram and also think you have it correctly wired, go for it!

Thanks !, iv got my cables on order already though, so just waiting for them to arrive :) , my hot air rework station and soldering station dont seem to belt out enough head (I use them for circuit board stuff), so have ordered a cheapo heavy duty soldering iron to do the job.

I know that usually the BMS manages this, but because I am rigging this up in a non stadard way, I really want to be checking all the packs are balanced first the first few times im thinking ?.
Iv been looking at this, would this do the job, or can I get one that will do 4 at once ?.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=43590

What program did you use to make this diagram? Looks great!

crea2k said:
file.php

Anyone have a good link to a site that can educate me on BMS wiring. I am at a loss on what and why you are wiring the way you do.

Hey guys,

So I am trying to connect the BMS finally. But, for some reason I cannot wrap my head around these diagrams.
Hoping you could give some advise.
Do12й.jpg
Do I need to attach wires as shown here in black joining the boards together? And also after looking at different drawings it gets confusing as to what exactly is positive (+). On the board itself it shows a + and - printed on the boards. Some drawings are showing the board from the back and then look like the + red wires go to the negative terminal on the boards.

I have a 22s pack with a balance wire installed around each cell bank. This is driving me crazy. Maybe I do a drawing.
Thanks. Brake

Crea2k, is it as simple as that your 4s balance plugs have to get flipped around before you plug them into the boards?

Thanks for answering. I think I'm getting too analytical with this. I'm wiring up everything from scratch. But to keep it simple, a store bought 4s pack simply plugs in correctly? Polarity wise I mean.

I figured it out and why i was confused.

In Crea2k's drawing the balancing plugs are all wired up correctly. The red wires going into the 4s balance plugs are (+) voltage. However, these plugs gets turned around 180 degrees before they are inserted into the BMS ports. The BMS board ports are labeled with + and - and are exactly how you want the voltage polarity lined up. In the earlier drawing I posted, the black lines that are drawn across board ports are necessary. If you had a stock battery that was 4s, these connections are already done.

My battery is a straight 22s 10p 18650 and so I had to add these board connections.

Cheers, Brake.

Ah I see what you mean now, mine was just adapted from one of the Russian forum diagrams which didn't go as far as the socket, only to the plug, but they only plug in one way anyway :) . I'm currently running it in the config as shown on my diagram, but in a few weeks I'm going to add 3 more packs, one to each pack group so I get more range as I had to turn off the low voltage cut off coming back yesterday as I was 2 miles short, so repaying it today by re balancing all the packs out of the bike. Don't want to be doing that again !.

anyone come across any 'no-no's' re. hooking up the bms?
its just that the way my pack is, i can only hook up the ballence leads to the bms while its not attached to the controller, before installing the pack on the bike and then plugging in the bms leads

is there any trouble with disconnecting the bms while plugging in the ballence boards?

this would be contrary to Jekas instruction, to turn the bms on first, then plug in the boards to the battery.

If its balancing and you unplug it from the controller it seems to continue balancing from what iv seen with mine, the lights still flash, so it seems to draw some power from the batteries, is bizarre. I think as long as you dont go shorting stuff out like I did with mine originally it should be fine. Have you not got a circuit breaker inline with your battery packs ?.

no, no circut breaker as such. im confident iv got the wiring right(2nd time iv done this) but just wanted to make sure the board wouldnt do anything odd if i connected it to the cells without the controller...

thanks.
rtl

Hi All,

I just built a temporary 13s14p li-ion pack for my new ebike. I have an Adaptto MAX-E with BMS. After reading online, looks like Adaptto BMS only supports an even number of parallel groups, as in 12s, 14s, 20s, etc. I am planning on building a much more powerful pack later on, but right now I have my 13s14p to play with.

Please tell me that there is a way to connect 13s to the BMS?

zooz said:
Hi All,

I just built a temporary 13s14p li-ion pack for my new ebike. I have an Adaptto MAX-E with BMS. After reading online, looks like Adaptto BMS only supports an even number of parallel groups, as in 12s, 14s, 20s, etc. I am planning on building a much more powerful pack later on, but right now I have my 13s14p to play with.

Please tell me that there is a way to connect 13s to the BMS?

You must always have at least 2 cells in series for each bms board. So for 13s you would not be able to do..4,4,4,1. You would have to do it 4,3,3,3 or in another way where there are at least two cells together on one board.

brumbrum said:
You must always have at least 2 cells in series for each bms board. So for 13s you would not be able to do..4,4,4,1. You would have to do it 4,3,3,3 or in another way where there are at least two cells together on one board.
Thanks for the info. I actually found a diagram made by Adaptto people which explains how to wire up 13s to Adaptto BMS.

Back