BMS battery S12SH controller questions

schwibsi

1 kW
Hi,

I just receved a couple of these controllers as I wanted to test them with the new S-LCD3 display.
Two things:

1. Speed sensor: It appears to have an input for a hall-sensor as the connector has 3 pins rather than 2 (for a normal reed switch) Does anybody know, if there's a way to connect a normal reed-switch "speed sensor"?
I have a hall-sensor built into my Xofo rear motor, but it only engages when the motor is spinning and I cycle often enough without the motor and would like to see, how fast I'm going.

2. Brake sensors: Same thing: it seems to be for a reed sensor brake sensor. I have reed switches mounted on all bikes and would like to connect it.

Thanks guys.

You can use a reed switch for the speed sensor. I can remember somebody else did it, but I can't remember if it was between the 5v and signal (I think so) or ground and signal.

The same with the brake switches, but I'm pretty sure that you connect the switch between signal and ground.

Thanks, mate.
I just connected the brake sensors the way you suggested. It works perfectly.
I've connected the speed sensor to the internal sensor of the motor for the time being.

The display is absolutely great. :)

Does the S12SH have a port for bike-lights?
The top button switches on the back-light and the manual says that if the controller supports it, it can also switch the bike lights on and off.

Also, the controller is very noisy with my Xofo motor. Barmal's true sine-wave controller makes the motor very quiet, but my test runs with the S12SH were almost embarrassing. At very high speeds it quieted down a little, but on my setup this is unacceptable. :-(

It's dead silent on my 9C. Slight rumble on startup but otherwise no noise at all. My wife's 9C with the standard Ebikekit controller grunts and whines at similar speeds. On the other hand, XoFo are geared motors. Nuthin' I know of makes any gears really quiet.
otherDoc

Thanks for the input. Maybe it just doesn't go well with the xofo. Normally the xfk is very quiet for a geared motor

Yep "quiet for a geared motor" are the operative words. My old Bafang was "quiet for a geared motor" until I started using DD. Much difference. We need bells cause we sneek up on runners inadvertently. The gear whine always warned pedestrians we were coming. I really7 wish someone would make a quiet gear motor. I do like their torque.
otherDoc

Thought I'd add a question to this thread to keep all S12SH knowledge in one place.

Quick one - anyone taken one apart and know what the max voltage on the caps are on it? I'm thinking of pushing 16S (67v hot off the charger) on it.

Thanks.

Sunder said:
Thought I'd add a question to this thread to keep all S12SH knowledge in one place.

Quick one - anyone taken one apart and know what the max voltage on the caps are on it? I'm thinking of pushing 16S (67v hot off the charger) on it.

Thanks.

I think the caps are 63V, and V_ds for the FETs is 68V...So I'd say no-go with 16S.

Avitt said:
Sunder said:

Thanks.

I think the caps are 63V, and V_ds for the FETs is 68V...So I'd say no-go with 16S.

Damn.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sunder said:
Avitt said:
Sunder said:

Thanks.

Damn.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Wait! I retract my answer!

The info that I provided was for the S12S. I have never been inside the S12SH, and the components might be different.

Hi guys, any new experience with this controller? I want to hack it for 20S lipo.
Since I've been riding the Sabvoton on one of my builds, I just can't stand the motor noise anymore..
Would it be enough to change input resistor, 63V caps and fets for 4110s? How to make regen work at that voltage?
I'd happily pay extra for some other similar sized controller, just can't fit the Sabvoton in my current build, and its power would be excessive too.
So far I found this Zhenlong 72V 40-50A controller:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/72V-1800W-18-mosfet-motor-brushless-sine-wave-controller-for-electric-bike-BLDC-high-quality-hub/937734_1829732892.html
Seems to be made for my desired voltage and features regen braking too. Would be an ideal companion for a Magic pie.

Back