New/Old Stokemonkey install questions

TyJedi

100 mW
Just got a used stokemonkey from one of your members and had it hooked up yesterday by my local LBS, Warm Planet Bikes in San Francisco. It was originally purchased in 2009 and has Cycle Analyst version 1.0 on it.

So far, I have two issues and I wanted to run them by you folks:

1. Speed sensor not picking up.

No matter where my mechanic put the magnet, it doesn't seem to register. It is about as close to hitting the sensor as it can be. I'm thinking I need to go through the setup again on Cycle Analyst, check all the cables, placement of magnet again, etc. Hopefully it is something simple. However, I looked at the instructions (see picture below) I see it shows the sensor tied with cable ties to the fork blade, and then it shows the spoke magnet being attached to the spokes. The odd part of the diagram is it has another caption saying "rare earth"with an arrow pointing to the spoke magnet. I think this is just indicating that the magnet should be a rare earth magnet, but am I missing something? Should something else be attached?
stokemonkey manual pic.jpg

Below are pictures of Cycle Analyst, beginning with when first turned on, and then when power is applied:

Ty's Cycle Analyst 1.jpg
View attachment 3
Ty's Cycle Analyst 3.jpg
Ty's Cycle Analyst 4.jpg

2. Right thumb throttle sticks on return.

I called Clever Cycles and spoke to Jeremy, and he determined that it is probably due to it being on a slight curve on the handlebar.It was to the left of the right brake lever. I moved it around just a little bit, and it seems to work ok but I found if I clamped it down too snug it would stick again. My thought is to take the brake and grip shift off and put the throttle right in the middle next the grip shift, and the brake lever on the curve to the left. Does that make sense?

3. Main Bike chain broke.

This happened when I was almost home after getting off the train. I'm thinking it was just an odd coincidence. I wasn't torquing on anything when it happened. All of a sudden I realized stoke monkey was still peddling and so was I, but I was slowing down. But could there be a connection?

Bottom line, stokemonkey works great other than these hopefully minor issues. It was sure big fun blasting by the other bikes on 5th street heading for the San Francisco Caltrain station.The sensation of the peddling getting easier was odd and exhilarating at the same time. I can't wait to try the big climb up to skyline soon!

So that's it so far. Any suggestions regarding the speed pickup? Anything else anyone could add would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Ty

Back