Thun 68mm vs 73mm BB installation problems

Ypedal

Staff member
Ok.. so i'm building what i intend to call the " Grin-Mobile "

Rear eZee motor in 700C rim, on a Norco Storm 29'er

I spent over an hour at the local bike shop eyeballing all the possible options, willing to spend whatever it took to get a proper bike for the kit with Thun BB and CA V3 with all the bells and whistles.

It came down to a ladies Norco low step thru with fenders, all black, but the rear rack was smallish and would not take the eZee 48v pack and mounting plate well.. so the Storm took it with nice frame similar to my fatbike Bigfoot with long handle bars and solid frame..

Anyway.. then come the problems, as they always creep up with an ebike kit.. argh.

The store owner looked at the BB and told me it's a 68mm, that was the deciding factor between the storm and another +300 $ model with Rock Shox and XTR components( not square taper BB ) .

I got a drive to the LBS ( local bike shop ) took my helmet with me cuz i was buying a bike and pedaling it home, holy crap, been a while since i pedaled a 10 km non-assisted bike !!!.. :lol:

So, i start with the BB, remove the stock unit ( f'n axiom BB tool i have is tapered edges and would not grab the right side properly, had to resort to big honking clamp vice to remove it ) ... rambling.. sorry.

Low and behold, the BB on this frame is 73mm !!!. NOT 68 ! damit.

Broke out the calipers and compared everything, being very used to compromise with ebike stuffs i come to the conclusion it will bolt up and be " good enough " ...

The Thun is not like a regular BB, you screw on the left side into the frame first, it has a notch that the right side locks into preventing the body from spinning and severing the wires... so after a whole big glass of wine and head scratching... i hesitantly drilled the frame tube..... tried to fish the wire from the BB into it.. no luck... but then realized it's easier to run the CA side wire into the hole first, hook up the connectors, then use that as a fish..

View attachment 1

But then.. the problem :

Grinmobile2.JPG

The notches on the chainrings are hitting the frame once the crank is torqued down... i have 2 options.

1 : Remove the crank/chainrings, file/grind down the lobes so they clear the frame, it only need 1mm or so ..

2: Remove the Thun, add the 2.5mm shim that was on the original BB, this will push the chainrings further away from the frame... BUT... the problem is that the left side Thun locking collar is barely grabbing as it is... if i add a shim, i'm afraid it will spin and cut the wires...... it's VERY close....

thoughts ?

Email Justin@Grin. He deals with the installation of THUNs and probably has run into similar dilemmas. Surly bikes also come with 73mm BB and I was told it would fit if I sacrificed the frame's warranty and shaved a few (up to 5mm in my case) off the BB allowing more threads to adhere. Personally, I didn't pursue the problem.

You can't return the bike and exchange for something that "fits" :?: I'm sure there is something out there with your name on it.

Lots of masking tape covering the metal that you desire to retain and, perhaps Mr Angle Grinder (used carefully, of course). It'll have that 73mm down to 68mm in no time. Obviously hand file to finish.
otherDoc

I love "good enough for now"! It can last forever!
otherDoc

Nice man - cant wait to see more pics.

"willing to spend whatever it took"

Man someone is paying you to much ;0) lol I have been there tho - JUST MAKE IT WORK

Ypedal said:
Well, after a good night sleep, a 2nd evaluation of the situation revealed how " close " it was, a quick zip with the dremel on the chainring lobes and it no longer rubs !!.. 8) calling this " good enough for now " and moving on with the build !. :p

Good move... i was ready to suggest this, but you made it here on your own!

ohzee said:
Nice man - cant wait to see more pics.

"willing to spend whatever it took"

Man someone is paying you to much ;0) lol I have been there tho - JUST MAKE IT WORK

Ha... i'm not paying myself nearly enough !!!... :pancake:

I only had to grind away about 1mm... and so far so good.
Grinmobile3.JPG

Beta run, wires tangled, big mess but a functional mess...
Grinmobile4.JPG

Got the gears to shift properly, brakes work ok but pads need breaking in.. adjusted wheel diameter, Rshunt, and in the setup menu i can see the Nm value vary when i step on the pedals wich is really cool...

After 5 km, and 1 ah of use, i'm in love.... an ebike that i definitely will be pedaling, lots !

Currently there is a 1~2 second delay between pedal input and motor reaction, i mode no.2 i'd like to have it " instant " if that's possible .... onto the CA V3 page to do some reading woot !.

Tomorrow's To Do List :

- Cut and snip all excess wires
- Mount the battery plate
- Headlight/tail light install
- water prevention all around
- add fenders..
- reinforce rear rack mounts..
- make a video.

That looks nice. Some black tape around the blue foam and it would look pretty stealthy.

id like to try a pedal assist some time , but the delay you mention would be a bit odd.

Back