Can Loopwheel use HubMotor?

IamIan

100 mW
I did a quick search and didn't notice relevant hits.

Does anyone have any experience or thought on combining the principle of the Loopwheel with a small Hub motor ?

- - - - - - -

My first thought ... Aside from the added complexity and cost (of course) ... is that , it should be a viable shock absorbing method. It should also be able to be combined with other shock absorbing methods if so desired.
:?:

If someone had access to a machine shop and wanted to reinvent the wheel, it could be done. Someone would just need to recreate the spring perches on a mount that would secure to the hub's spoke hole holes. With a CNC mill you could probably knock one out over a weekend, if you reused their springs and rim.

But why? The term "Reinventing the wheel" is used to denote an act of futility for good reason. The loopwheel is solving a problem no one actually has with a system that has other problems they don't seem to address.

Drunkskunk said:
But why? The term "Reinventing the wheel" is used to denote an act of futility for good reason. The loopwheel is solving a problem no one actually has with a system that has other problems they don't seem to address.

Although I agree with the concept of low practicality ... introducing other problems ... etc.

To answer the question of 'why' ...

#1 Because I was curious
I don't see why not ask , talk , or think about it ??

#2 Compound benefit -- Niche
The 'Loopwheel' concept can be added for additional shock absorbing benefit to other shock absorbing systems ... be they in the forks , the seats , etc... with all the penalties such an add would come along with it (of course) are cons ... but it does still have that potential pro.

It looks interesting. Have you ever ridden one?
otherDoc

Converted GBP (British Pound) to USD (US Dollars):

323 Pounds => 548 Dollars
That's for a single front wheel. :shock: Not including shipping and taxes.
Your looking for at least a cool grand for a set.

If I had funds to burn, I'd put them on my 20" folder, put a 750watt mid-drive on it, and jet around in pure comfort :twisted: !

The loopwheel looks overpriced (as an early-adopter prestige item?), but...I like the idea of eliminating broken spokes, while still being able to add a rear suspension to a hardtail frame. A rear hub leaves the frame triangle open for batteries and other bits. An intriguing idea, but I think it's unlikely to ever be tried...

docnjoj said:
It looks interesting. Have you ever ridden one?
otherDoc

No ... $ to high , but the idea has some appeal.

melodious said:
If I had funds to burn, I'd put them on my 20" folder, put a 750watt mid-drive on it, and jet around in pure comfort :twisted: !

The mid-drive would be a nice option to remove the double complexity of having the motor in the loopwheel itself ... sadly I don't have funds to burn either... just a thought exercise for fun.

Back