Q100 and Q100C internals

d8veh

1 GW
I stripped down these motors to compare the differences. They're both 201 rpm versions..

The cores with their side-plate can be exchanged between the hubs.

The main difference is the width of the core. The Q100C is much narrower, which must affect the power and torque. They're the same diameter. The photo below is a bit misleading because of the wide-angle lens:

The axles are different. You can see the width better in this photo:

The clutches are different and the bearing has a larger diameter. Those with good ideas will notice a slightly different gear tooth form and the different number of teeth. The Q100C has 75/24 and the Q100 78/33:

Here's the cassette spline that can be removed without dismantling the motor. It's held in place by a nut on the axle. It's quite stiff to slide on the axle:

The clutch and side-plate:

The Q100 clutch and side-plate:

nice teardown and analysis. So is the CST using narrower copper windings and magnets?

@d8veh

I've just had to take mine apart because it has lost drive. Did I read it correctly when you said the cores are interchangeable? If I got a Q100 motor it would fit in the Q100C Shell?

LawrenceEaden said:
@d8veh

I've just had to take mine apart because it has lost drive. Did I read it correctly when you said the cores are interchangeable? If I got a Q100 motor it would fit in the Q100C Shell?
All Q100 hubs are the same(except for the color,of course). That includes frt. and rear.
The side covers are different(old style CST vs. new style CST vs.standard), but they will thread on any hub.

The Q100C that Dave dis-assembled is the older style that, as far as I know, is no longer available from BMS Battery. The easy way to spot the two is the color, silver-old style, blk.-new style.
They are not the same, the new style(Aikema) has a one-piece side-cover/cassette spline and there is slightly less off-set(toward the brake side). This is due to different side-cover and axle half-shafts.
Other differences are covered here;

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70369&hilit=Q100C

As I recall, when I measured the stators, the "C" model was approx. 30 % narrower than the standard, or about the same as I perceive the percentage of power handling difference to be between the two.

I still have a couple of questions about the Cutes;

1) In the above linked thread, it was determined all three motor-speed versions had different gear ratios that almost exactly corresponded to their speed ratings. Does this mean all Q100 windings are the same(as they relate to motor speed)?
2)The "H" version appears to have the same width stator and diameter wire. Is it's additional power handling ability due to stronger magnets?

@Motomech. Great Info! I'm slightly concerned that the drawing of the Q100H motor on the BMSB website is wider that the Q100C (mine). It would be so handy to get the q100h and swap them out.

You can, you would have to use the "H" side cover which would screw right on.
Of course, you would lose the cassette and have to go with a free wheel.

Back