Adding a CA-DP connector to controllers with ignition wire

mlt34

100 kW
So I was adding a Cycle Analyst connector yesterday to a KU93 controller, first time doing it on this specific controller. I hooked it all up and it worked great - except that my CA wouldn't turn off when I hit the handlebar mounted power switch which controls the ignition wire. Turns out that for controllers with an ignition wire, instead of soldering the number 1 pin to the battery (+) like normal, you actually should solder it to the ignition wire on the board.

It makes sense and I should have realized it the first time around, but I figured I'd post this to help anyone who has that issue, or at least help them get it right the first time :)

mlt34 said:
So I was adding a Cycle Analyst connector yesterday to a KU93 controller, first time doing it on this specific controller. I hooked it all up and it worked great - except that my CA wouldn't turn off when I hit the handlebar mounted power switch which controls the ignition wire. Turns out that for controllers with an ignition wire, instead of soldering the number 1 pin to the battery (+) like normal, you actually should solder it to the ignition wire on the board.

It makes sense and I should have realized it the first time around, but I figured I'd post this to help anyone who has that issue, or at least help them get it right the first time :)

I didn't even know you could use a cycle analyst with a KU93 or something like that.

bowlofsalad said:
I didn't even know you could use a cycle analyst with a KU93 or something like that.

You normally can't (unless its the CA with the external shunt that goes between the battery and controller) but I was wiring a custom CA connector to the KU93 to turn it into a CA enabled controller.

mlt34 said:
bowlofsalad said:

You normally can't (unless its the CA with the external shunt that goes between the battery and controller) but I was wiring a custom CA connector to the KU93 to turn it into a CA enabled controller.

How exactly you do that mr mlt34?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMK77KaI8sQ#t=3m11s

I'm actually planning on writing it up (I took a whole pile of pictures while I did it) in case people want to add CA connectors to their own controllers, but basically the process is like this. Six wires, each one soldered to the board of the controller at: Pin 1=Battery positive, pin 2=ground, pin 3=shunt negative, pin 4=shunt positive, pin 5=one of the hall sensor (Doesn't matter which one) and pin 6=throttle signal wire. I actually didn't do pin 6 because it's only for the CA limiting features and I don't plan on limiting anything (Speed, current, etc).

Then you just need the matching JST-sM connector (I got mine from Ebikes.ca because I prefer supporting them vs some random chinese website) and stick the pins in and you're done :D

mlt34 said:
I'm actually planning on writing it up (I took a whole pile of pictures while I did it) in case people want to add CA connectors to their own controllers, but basically the process is like this. Six wires, each one soldered to the board of the controller at: Pin 1=Battery positive, pin 2=ground, pin 3=shunt negative, pin 4=shunt positive, pin 5=one of the hall sensor (Doesn't matter which one) and pin 6=throttle signal wire. I actually didn't do pin 6 because it's only for the CA limiting features and I don't plan on limiting anything (Speed, current, etc).

Then you just need the matching JST-sM connector (I got mine from Ebikes.ca because I prefer supporting them vs some random chinese website) and stick the pins in and you're done :D

That is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing, I am looking forward to the write up and pictures. I thought this idea would have been radically more complicated sounding. Personally, I'd use the throttle signal wire if humanly possible.

Perhaps some of my other questions concerning this modification you did would be answered with the pictures and write up, but I am very curious how you got the cycle analyst(CA) wires into the controller (water proofing is a concern).

I've only ever used a CA with a sort of plug and play controller setup. I am curious as to how this compares to the idea of using an external shunt with a CA. I'd be interested to read your thoughts (on this forum, not psychically, well, maybe both).

Yea I didn't do the throttle wire because I have a V2.3 and you actually need to add a 1kOhm resistor (which of course I didn't have at the time) in line with the throttle override wire. For V3 CA you don't need that, but my CA is the older version. Plus I don't plan on current limiting (the controller is only a 22A) or speed limiting. Besides, from my experience I haven't enjoyed the speed limiting feature of the CA. I've found it to be very clunky - where when you hit your speed limit, you lose power suddenly and then it takes a few seconds to regain that power when drop below the speed limit. Perhaps that's fixed in the V3, I haven't used that version yet.

For waterproofing, I just used the same rubber gasket that the controller wires exit. There were a few extra holes in the gasket that were left unused. Otherwise I would have had to add some silicone. I always mount my controllers with wires exiting down though, which functions like a motor's drip loop and keeps any water from running down the wires and into the controller.

The external shunt CA (which was my first CA ever, back when they were little screen and had the video game controller button) works just as well as the plug and play CA, except that you don't get any of the limiting features, like speed and current limits.

I'll hopefully get the steps with pictures written up soon. So much to do! :D

mlt34 said:
Yea I didn't do the throttle wire because I have a V2.3 and you actually need to add a 1kOhm resistor (which of course I didn't have at the time) in line with the throttle override wire.
FWIW, you could probalby find a 1Kohm or similar resistor in quite a lot of old electronics you or someone you know might have laying around as unused "junk". It's a really common value, with stripes on it in Brown, Black, Red, and gold or silver for the fourth stripe.

amberwolf said:
mlt34 said:
Yea I didn't do the throttle wire because I have a V2.3 and you actually need to add a 1kOhm resistor (which of course I didn't have at the time) in line with the throttle override wire.
FWIW, you could probalby find a 1Kohm or similar resistor in quite a lot of old electronics you or someone you know might have laying around as unused "junk". It's a really common value, with stripes on it in Brown, Black, Red, and gold or silver for the fourth stripe.

Good suggestion. Actually, the last controller I wired for a CA plug I did just that - jacked a couple 500ohm resistors out of a dead charger and put them in series. But that was in my ebike shop and this time I was doing the work in my kitchen…

BTW, do you know the color codes by heart? I'd be very impressed. EE? I'm an ME and I always have to go back to the chart...

The colors are in the order of the rainbow, so all you have to do is count down the list, and remember which are the multipliers and by how much. :)

But yeah, that's one of the few things I ever memorized easily, resistor color codes. :lol:

But no, not EE, just a "tech" ("AASET" from DeepFry...er, DeVry, late 80s. :/ Education mostly wasted as far as careers go, but certainly been useful in life itself. :)

I don't know how I've gotten this far in life without someone pointing out the rainbow order. Add that to the million things I've picked up on ES.

amberwolf said:
Education mostly wasted as far as careers go, but certainly been useful in life itself. :)

Life is the best thing I can think of to use an education for!

bowlofsalad,

as promised, here's my write-up for adding a cycle analyst plug to a non CA controller: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62809

Both these claims are incorrect:

• -
    mlt34 said:
    Besides, from my experience I haven't enjoyed the speed limiting feature of the CA. I've found it to be very clunky - where when you hit your speed limit, you lose power suddenly and then it takes a few seconds to regain that power when drop below the speed limit. Perhaps that's fixed in the V3,...
    >>> Properly installed CAs don't perform this way.

A couple of thoughts on 'Improper installation':
    • It sounds like you wired it up and never bothered to adjust the operating parameters for your bike. Your symptoms are typical of what can arise in this situation.
    • After reading your method of adding a CA-DP connector to a controller - and realizing that method is incorrect and can cause the PI controller to over/undershoot - I'm thinking you modified the controller and blamed CA for the resulting crappy operation...
  • -
    mlt34 said:
    The external shunt CA ... works just as well as the plug and play CA, except that you don't get any of the limiting features, like speed and current limits.
    >>> All CA models of a given version have identical PCBs, firmware, and operational features.

The V2 standalone CA is assumed to be a custom installation - you simply need to hook up the throttle override connection for either simple 'limiting' operation or for closed-loop Current or Speed Throttle as found in the V3.
The proof is in the pudding - on both points:
  • I have run 3000W dual controllers with a single V2 Standalone CA with smooth as silk LVC, current, and speed limiting. Worked perfectly.
I don't want to sound harsh - but you are 'teaching' people about the CA as part of your business. You have an obligation to make extra effort to 'get it right'.

Endless-Sphere owns a great debt to Justin and IMHO it would be seriously uncool if this kind of negative/erroneous stuff found it's way into your book/site/coursework to be spread as gospel.

teklektik said:
  • -
    mlt34 said:
    Besides, from my experience I haven't enjoyed the speed limiting feature of the CA. I've found it to be very clunky - where when you hit your speed limit, you lose power suddenly and then it takes a few seconds to regain that power when drop below the speed limit. Perhaps that's fixed in the V3,...
    >>> Properly installed CAs don't perform this way.

A couple of thoughts on 'Improper installation':
    • It sounds like you wired it up and never bothered to adjust the operating parameters for your bike. Your symptoms are typical of what can arise in this situation.
    • After reading your method of adding a CA-DP connector to a controller - and realizing that method is incorrect and can cause the PI controller to over/undershoot - I'm thinking you modified the controller and blamed CA for the resulting crappy operation...
  • -
    mlt34 said:
    The external shunt CA ... works just as well as the plug and play CA, except that you don't get any of the limiting features, like speed and current limits.
    >>> All CA models of a given version have identical PCBs, firmware, and operational features.

The V2 standalone CA is assumed to be a custom installation - you simply need to hook up the throttle override connection for either simple 'limiting' operation or for closed-loop Current or Speed Throttle as found in the V3.
The proof is in the pudding - on both points:
  • I have run 3000W dual controllers with a single V2 Standalone CA with smooth as silk LVC, current, and speed limiting. Worked perfectly.
I don't want to sound harsh - but you are 'teaching' people about the CA as part of your business. You have an obligation to make extra effort to 'get it right'.

Endless-Sphere owns a great debt to Justin and IMHO it would be seriously uncool if this kind of negative/erroneous stuff found it's way into your book/site/coursework to be spread as gospel.

Regarding the first part, that was using a Lyen controller and V2.3 large screen CA. That's just the experience I found, it wasn't a matter of any custom connections. The limiting just didn't seem as 'fluid' as I would have hoped. That's not a jab at the CA or anything like that. The CA is an amazing piece of ebike engineering. I was just saying I personally don't use the speed or current limiting features that much. That's probably largely because most the bikes I own aren't pushing the limits of speed and power, so their top end is fine as-is. It wasn't a negative statement or meant to detract from the CA.

Next, to my knowledge the standalone CA doesn't give you speed limiting or current limiting without modifications. Yes, of course its the same board/hardware/firmware etc, but the point is that the standalone CA doesn't tap into the throttle override. Sure, you can modify it, but at that point its not a stock CA-SA anymore. Again, I'm not trying to detract from the CA by saying that, I was simply answering the question from bowlofsalad which was:
I am curious as to how this compares to the idea of using an external shunt with a CA.
to which I responded that the CA with the external shunt works just as well as the CA-DP, the main difference being that it doesn't provide speed limiting features. Perhaps I should have said it doesn't provide the speed limiting features straight out of the box.

I understand your last point, but you also need to understand that this isn't about "my business" at all, if you can call selling a few copies of an ebook a month "a business". Yes, the CA is included in the book I wrote, where it got a glowing review and recommendation that anyone who wants to know what's going on with their ebike get a CA. Stuff about adding CA connectors to controllers isn't in the book at all because the book is aimed at total beginners. I simply suggest in the book that people either getting a CA enabled controller or go with a stand-alone unit if they get a kit that doesn't come with a CA connector.

The write up and photos I made for a site that is 100% free and is designed to be an ad-free place for people to learn more about ebikes, it's not a business. Sure, we've got ES, but most noobs I've worked with consistently tell me they find ES overwhelming and hard to search through. I can't say I disagree with the second part, illustrated by the fact that even after my own searching, I didn't find the link you sent to me from the 100+ pages of the CA V3 thread. It was only after you sent me the link that I found the helpful info. But that's neither here nor there.

Justin is a hero, I'm not trying to do anything "uncool" to him. Rather the opposite, I've always promoted the CA in every class I've taught to noobs, in my book and video courses. Now I did make a couple mistakes in my writeup and I certainly do appreciate your help and corrections to make sure everything is totally factual. That being said, some of what you call 'incorrect' isn't actually incorrect, it's just not how you would describe it, such as when I said the CA-SA doesn't do limiting features out of the box. But you are absolutely right that some of that stuff can be better worded to make the facts clearer, and I'm going back and fixing that stuff as per your suggestions.

I personally find the remark about operation marked by seconds of power loss a far cry from 'not fluid' - but let's call it a subjective matter and an unfortunate turn of phrase...

Regarding the remarks about the CA-SA as a response to:

I am curious as to how this compares to the idea of using an external shunt with a CA.
We are talking about a product that at one end of the cable has four unterminated wires that require soldering/crimping and a console at the other end that requires a throttle wire to be soldered. I'm not really ready to draw the line and say that 4 custom connections is 'out-of-box' but 5 isn't - particularly when saying so comes with special mention that there are features that "you don't get". But that's just me.

Frankly - when a V2/external shunt requirement comes up, my recommendation is NOT to buy the CA-SA ($153), but instead to buy a CA-DP ($120) or CA-DPS ($125) PLUS a V3 External Shunt ($24) - this duplicates the newer cabling/packaging approach of the V3 family. This strategy gives a cheaper price ( $144 for DD, $149 for gear motors) and provides throttle and hall wires on the external shunt breakout cable. This is still an off-the-shelf CA 'external shunt' installation - just using different parts - but all DIY connections are at the same end of the cable...

Lastly, once you wrap yourself in the cloak of instructor and author of books explaining everything ebike, then your words, like it or not, often carry different weight. This is the same as getting offhand health comments from a guy in a doctor's white coat or a guy in a mechanic's coveralls - the white coat changes the whole credibility landscape (in the absence of any pre-existing knowledge - like you know the doctor and that he has 27 pending 'wrongful death' suits...).

Regarding your recent CA-DP thread, I am a big fan of folks who make this kind of effort to disseminate information. I certainly do appreciate the effort that went into it, your desire repair any issues, and look forward to similar future endeavors.

Back