--> Kelly KEB Controller + Motorino Xpn

Hi all,

I'm new here, my name's Dee. Nice to meet you super smart folk! :)

I've gone through and done a number of searches and read a lot of posts about this here, and I really appreciate the resource. Hoping someone can advise me on an issue.

I have a Motorino XPn I've swapped an older controller for a Kelly KEB, I hired a mechanic to assist with that as I'm not a mechanic myself (I make films, not machines! :) - he got it all programmed and installed, but we're getting a LOT of grumbling at 0-2mph, after which is gets nice and smooth again and we don't hear it (until we come to a complete stop, and have to throttle back on from 0). Can't be SOP right?

Mechanic says he's absolutey sure the phase/hall combo is correct, he says: "The Hall/Phase combination is correct, it is perfectly smooth from 3mph up to top speed, and the A-B-C Phase wires match that of the A-B-C Hall lines. if the hall/phase lines were mismatched, there would be stuttering under any load, not just at low speed. Even at 4000w under load, if it is above 3mph, then there is no stuttering."

So we're trying to figure this out. Can any of you kind folks advise?

Many thanks in advance! :)
D

There is a "startup noise silencing" option in the firmware. Only says to enable if the motor grumbles at startup. Mine did (cromotor). Enabled noise suppression - startup noise went away.

Thanks. We enabled that. It did help but it really cut the starting torque down, sadly. I'm not as impressed with this controller as I hoped I'd be after all the glowing reviews. :?

it's probable that the phase/hall combo is correct, if you are not getting abnormally high current draw, or heating of controller/motor, and it seems otherwise normal except the startup/slowspeed noise.

My best guess is the Kelly is limiting current either phase or battery, which it does by chopping up the signal to the motor, which could cause grumbling noises.

Does it make the noise even if you are slowing down from above the limit, but still applying a slight power to the motor? (this only applies a little current thru the motor, rather than how accelerating from below the limit pours a lot of current thru it)

You might be able to increase the Kelly's current limit, but it's going to be harder on your battery than it is now, and heat up the motor and controller more.

Just so that people can better help you, this is a link to your controller/motor troubleshooting thread:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62623

and I've also linked that one to this one, because you don't really have complete info in either thread. ;)

Thanks amberwolf, I will check out the current settings. Apologies if I was unclear. I'm no where near the expert on these matters that I know many of you guys are! Appreciate the link back and advice. Cheers! :)

After riding about 20Km on it this morning I can say that (initial 0-2mph low speed growl aside), it has a very smooth ride.

I need to figure out how to get the throttle to engage immediately though, it takes a couple seconds now which could be for smoothness sake, but when you want an immediate engage while riding, it can be a little annoying. Or if you've rolled off the throttle to coast and want to roll back on, it takes a second.

Having said that, it definitely feels more like "floating" while riding than the older controller did. Lots of torque, I don't slow down at all on hills. Awesome. :wink:

Trivia: The high-level brake functionality that the Motorinos use is achieved by plugging into pin 4 for the Thermistor. It's not labeled for braking in the wiring diagram, you really have to hunt to figure it out, but that's how it's done.

The growl is the same with mine with the stock controller, it's as if it's growl is saying let's go

I will have to see about getting one for my beasty

Ya, it always growls a bit, but with the Kelly, and the noise reduction checkbox left off (for the most torque), it sounds a bit like a gas bike on takeoff! ;)

Did you take any pics of the wiring process and the mounting process while it was being converted to the Kelly controller?

No point in the high speed with the motorino motors. The motor you use has to be specifically designed to take advantage of that, and the motorinos use a different kind of high torque motor.

Back