Controller Help Please...

You have the wrong phase/hall combination. You often can't connect colour to colour when you chane controllers and motors.

This chart should help

http://www.lsdzs.net/Technical_detail/newsId=33.html

Charts and spreadsheets just make what is quite simple become frustrating and confusing. Simply try the other 5 combinations of the 3 phase wires. Use only a short small pulse of throttle, because high currents can flow. The smooth starting quiet one is the valid combo. It that ends up being reverse, then change 2, only 2, and any 2 of the 3 hall sense wires (not red or black), and go back and swap the phases again to find the good forward. If you don't get a good spinning result with the 6 possible phase combo's, then something else is wrong.

Don't be fooled by false positive combinations, which will spin the wheel, but as you turn the throttle slowly they have a noisier rough startup. That's why you should try all 6 phase combos. Swapping hall wires for phases above works too if it's easier for you to get the spades out of the connector, since every phase combination has 1 valid hall combo, and every hall combo has 1 valid phase combo. Of the 6 valid combos 3 are forward and 3 are reverse.

I was going to send you to the ES wiki on the subject, but someone ruined it and should be slapped around a bit, because they don't understand the simple logic/math problem of 3 phase motor wiring. Finding proper wiring is simple and easy.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

Ykick said:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

Thanks this helped out..

84v scooter
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2QwpNI51k[/youtube]

John in CR said:
Charts and spreadsheets just make what is quite simple become frustrating and confusing. Simply try the other 5 combinations of the 3 phase wires. Use only a short small pulse of throttle, because high currents can flow. The smooth starting quiet one is the valid combo. It that ends up being reverse, then change 2, only 2, and any 2 of the 3 hall sense wires (not red or black), and go back and swap the phases again to find the good forward. If you don't get a good spinning result with the 6 possible phase combo's, then something else is wrong.

Don't be fooled by false positive combinations, which will spin the wheel, but as you turn the throttle slowly they have a noisier rough startup. That's why you should try all 6 phase combos. Swapping hall wires for phases above works too if it's easier for you to get the spades out of the connector, since every phase combination has 1 valid hall combo, and every hall combo has 1 valid phase combo. Of the 6 valid combos 3 are forward and 3 are reverse.

I was going to send you to the ES wiki on the subject, but someone ruined it and should be slapped around a bit, because they don't understand the simple logic/math problem of 3 phase motor wiring. Finding proper wiring is simple and easy.

If i have the wrong combo could i cause the motor to run at a lower rpm?

ddupuis said:
If i have the wrong combo could i cause the motor to run at a lower rpm?

False positives are often a very advanced timing and run the motor at higher rpm, but so advanced that it may spin faster at no-load yet have very little torque and lots of heat so it can melt the motor and blow the controller before getting above moderate speed on the bike. You don't want to try riding until you're confident it has the correct wiring, and if the first test ride shows very little torque so it starts slowly then stop immediately.

Does your controller have wiring for a 3 speed switch? If so that could impact speed compared to before.

yes there was 3 wires labeled as throttle wires and i am using 2 of them with a button for now. Waiting on a new throttle to come in the mail just in case this one is no good.

I have been riding the scooter and it seems fine. i was kinda expecting alittle more speed from the setup, and i suppose that maby this is all the speed this chinese motor can put out. but it's better than the 30kph my mountain bike does right now lol. The torque is good. but i think there is some kinda BMS in my battery pack and i have 2 in series, i have read than it can cause it to turn off when connected in series cause of the amp draw. seems very likely to me, but im no expert. if i get on my button to much it shuts off, i turn the battery off and on again and im good too go. easy on the throttle just till im moving then it's all good. Will have to see how things go when i get the new throttle.

ddupuis said:
yes there was 3 wires labeled as throttle wires and i am using 2 of them with a button for now. Waiting on a new throttle to come in the mail just in case this one is no good.

I have been riding the scooter and it seems fine. i was kinda expecting alittle more speed from the setup, and i suppose that maby this is all the speed this chinese motor can put out. but it's better than the 30kph my mountain bike does right now lol. The torque is good. but i think there is some kinda BMS in my battery pack and i have 2 in series, i have read than it can cause it to turn off when connected in series cause of the amp draw. seems very likely to me, but im no expert. if i get on my button to much it shuts off, i turn the battery off and on again and im good too go. easy on the throttle just till im moving then it's all good. Will have to see how things go when i get the new throttle.
I think once you figure out your 3 speed switch you`ll be pleasantly surprised i have a 72 volt controller and the exact same wheel what battery you using

Back