29" wheel/tire diameter(fatbike)..rear hubmotor suggestions?

Hello,

I picked up an inexpensive steel framed fatbike with 135mm front dropout width and 170mm rear. Heavy, but strong.

The factory wheels were ok, but single wall alloys with stamped steel hubs....had to go.

So i just ordered some double wall 36H 26x4.0" rims and a new 36H sealed Dmr Revolver SS Hub for the front(135mm).

The battery is an EM3EV 76v 13.3Ah frame triangle battery 21s7p 20R samsung cells.

Now on my other e-boardtracker bike(utilizing the same battery), I'm running an infineon 40A controller and an hs3540... BUT the rolling diameter of the wheels/tires (3" rim/2.5" maxxis hookworms) is 27" which is 2" smaller than the overall diameter ill be running on this FATbike... That bike has hit 50mph on flats...so the motor, wheel, battery, and controller have really worked well in combination. reliable as hell too.

So I was hoping I could hear some opinions on a good motor/controller combo for this fatbike. ill obviously be running the same battery and the overall rolling diameter of the wheels will be 29"- 4" wide... i already plan on picking up a second cycle analyst.

OH and ill be running a 7spd freewheel

Looks awesome so far. Are you going to put the stock mongoose tires on those new wheels, though?

Havent really decided yet. Maybe until winter hits, then ill switch it up...not sure how these tires will hold up

I think that in order to give suggestions on which hub motor, more information is needed. Does this bicycle frame some how relate to your electric motorcycle? You mentioned it in detail, but I don't know why exactly.

Are your rims genuinely 101mm inner width? Those would be massive rims.

i mentioned the other bike because ill be utilizing the same battery. im asking whether the controller and motor ive used on the other bike will still work well with a 2" increase in overall rolling diameter. Yes those rims are 101mm wide- roughly 4 inches

danjpendleton said:
i mentioned the other bike because ill be utilizing the same battery. im asking whether the controller and motor ive used on the other bike will still work well with a 2" increase in overall rolling diameter. Yes those rims are 101mm wide- roughly 4 inches

That was totally not what I got from your original post. I thought you were looking for a new motor and controller. The phrasing that would make your question radically more clear is something along the lines of, "Would a 29" diameter tire perform as well with this hub/controller/battery combination I used in a 27" diameter tire?" I don't say this to offend, just for clarity.

A larger tire seems kind of like gearing. I could be wrong, but I am sure you theoretically gain some top speed if your setup can pump out that much power (fighting the wind). I suggest you check out http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html this wonderful tool, they have your motor and controller listed in there, you just need to change a few other parameters.

I doubt your 7 speed freewheel is going to be of much use on your electric motorcycle.

pardon my phrasing. The only variable ill be sharing between the bikes as of right now is the battery.

I do plan on purchasing a new motor and controller and had originally just planned on going with the hs3540 and another 40amper.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with that motor and voltage in such a large wheel.

ive checked out the simulator to build my first bike. ill have to crunch the numbers with the new setup. Thanks

I am running an HT3540 on 700c - 2.35 inch tires with no problem. 36v with a 22amp controller I get about 27mph on the flats. 80v with 40 amps I am somewhere in the low 40's depending on tire pressure and how I position myself, etc.
I think the weight of those wheels/tires is the issue more than the diameter. They are about the heaviest bike setup you can get without going into the dirt bike realm, thus my original question.

DAND214 said:
on 700c - 2.35 inch tires with no problem
Would love to know where did you find the wide 700c tires? haven't looked lately so maybe new.

Dan
700c , aka 28", aka- etrto 622 take your pick ; http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-472-123-hookworm

I am running the Big Apple on my 700c bike. Building a fatbike next for mostly street riding and the BOA-G's look pretty enticing, but haven't found much info about their performance.

There are some great posts on the mountain biking forums about the weight/performance of the Walgoose Dolomite tires. Might be worth checking out.

Back