Which fuse/fuse holder for a 36V system?

kilou

10 W
Hi,

I'm about to build an extender battery for my Bosch mid-drive e-bike which works on 36V. I will use ideal diodes to connect the original battery and the extender battery in parallel and I also want to protect each battery with a 20A fuse. I have two questions regarding this fuse:

1) most fuses and fuse holders are designed for a max of 32V and it's actually pretty hard to find anything that goes above 32V. I've found some fuse holder that support 80V and up to 30A but couldn't find the matching fuses. Is it a problem/risk if the fuse and/or the fuse holder support only a max of 32V? I understand that amperage matters most than voltage when it comes to a fuse but why then is there this rating of max 32V on most fuses? Is this something to care about (especially the fuse holder)?

2) I read somewhere than standard automotive fuses (even if they have the proper ampere rating) are not appropriate to protect ebike batteries since they bow-up too slowly when there is a problem. Is that correct? Could you recommend a descent fuse/fuse holder that would be appropriate to use to protect 36V batteries and that would blow-up sufficiently fast?

Thanks a lot!

I guess that my answers are here:
http://ww.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52358

Sorry i did not see that...

ux_a11101300ux0005_ux_g03.jpgI use a in line auto fuse holder with ATO type fuse. A 30-40 A should work OK. Try to get a fuse holder with heavy gauge wire 12-14 . Also keep a spare holder for the contact where the fuse plugs into tend to arc some what.

You don't have to worry about the voltage rating of the fuses. I guess the limit is to stop people electrocuting themselves rather than anything to do with their function.

Please show what you've done with your Bosch system when you've finished. I think a lot of people will be interested.

Yeah, bionx and d8veh are right. As long as the wiring is of a thick enough gauge for the current, you'll be okay. I've been using regular 12v automotive blade fuse holders for years without issue at 48v - any time a fuse should have blown, it did so without any arcing whatsoever.

Back