em3ev charger has blown component, help identify please

coolg444

1 µW
em3evcharger.JPG

Hello,

I sent em3ev an email about a week ago asking for help identifying this blown part in the charger.

It's the 14s 58.8 5 amp lion charger.

In the picture you can see where a yellow wire is burnt from being pressed against the now shattered part, I think it was a
small disc type capacitor. It's the part just to the left of the little glass fuse. If anyone has one of these same chargers or experience with these
maybe you can tell me what part I need to replace. I should order a spare from HongKong for $60 but the shipping is another $40.

thanks

Inrush current limiter.

There is a member who sells these, or you can probably get one out of a scrapped PC power supply.

i have a bunch left but no way to know where he is. if he is overseas it is not worth the shipping cost. i only charge $1.50 with a regular stamped envelope here in the US.

Ok, great response, from looking at ebay they come with different ratings, I suppose a 5amp version would work for my 5amp charger, or maybe I should get an over-rated one?

I got my bike on the road on July 4th after absorbing lots of info here of course.

My 1000w rear motor from leafbike.com. I burned out my kit controller by not having it in the air, riding a passenger, on grass, up hill. But then I fixed it with 4 mosfets from digikey for $12. I also got a new controller from 3m3ev, the 12 fet, my bike went from 32mph to 40mph at least. I have the 3 power switch and keep it at low power for 26mph, mid power shoots me up to 36mph, high power I only tested to 40mph. Rear wheel used to spin at 44mph with no load, with new controller it spins at 64mph at high power setting. Now I have the Cycle Analyst and regen enabled just on throttle release, it works great I hardly have to brake to slow down, and I get about 10% regen so far. Regen cuts of at 14.5mph and free wheeling resumes, all programmable of course.

The battery I put together with tinned braided copper after trying some other stuff, it works great, have 1000 miles, getting at least 30 mile range with pedaling, also using the 14s bms from em3ev.

Will get back when charger is fixed. For now I have been taking out my battery and breaking it into 2 parts to charge at 7s on my thunderpower charger.

My battery mount is made from 4 by 4 post hardware from HomeDepot, I used metal and hose clamps to pin them to the frame, cost about $12

thanks!
John
Rochester NY.

Attachments

• bat.JPG
    bat.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 924
  • bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 924
The problem is if you get an higher rated one it will then let in more current, which defeats the object of having it, as you will just fry something else instead then, you just need a better quality one, or maybe this was down to trying to pull too much current through it, you possibly had your phase current set too high.

crea2k said:
The problem is if you get an higher rated one it will then let in more current, which defeats the object of having it, as you will just fry something else instead then, you just need a better quality one, or maybe this was down to trying to pull too much current through it, you possibly had your phase current set too high.

this is entirely uninformed.

the inrush current limiter is used in the charger to slow the inrush of current when the charger is initially powered up.

the charger input of a Switch Mode Power Supply SMPS appears as a dead short to the AC input when it is turned on.

the ICL limits the current as it charges up the capacitors initially, then as the ICL heats up the resistance of the ICL drops dramatically from 5 ohms down to about .1 ohm which is enuff to keep the ICL hot and the resistance down.

the ones i have been selling are 6.3A rated and are from a better source than the chinese charger manufacturers are willing to pay for.

Location, location, LOCATION! Dnmun has the part you need but since you don't list your location he doesn't know if it's worth the trouble.

Must not be in the US and you put MPH instaed of KPH.
40+ must be KPH since a 48v 1000w won't do 40 MPH. Or you haven't ca;ibrated the speedo properly.

My 1000w rear motor from leafbike.com. I burned out my kit controller by not having it in the air, riding a passenger, on grass, up hill. But then I fixed it with 4 mosfets from digikey for $12. I also got a new controller from 3m3ev, the 12 fet, my bike went from 32mph to 40mph at least. I have the 3 power switch and keep it at low power for 26mph, mid power shoots me up to 36mph, high power I only tested to 40mph. Rear wheel used to spin at 44mph with no load, with new controller it spins at 64mph at high power setting. Now I have the Cycle Analyst and regen enabled just on throttle release, it works great I hardly have to brake to slow down, and I get about 10% regen so far. Regen cuts of at 14.5mph and free wheeling resumes, all programmable of course

Dan

Back