Issue with Lyen and USB-TTL programming cable

ttobiassen

100 mW
So, I'm in a bit of a panic because our electric go kart for Makerfaire New York (for which I leave on Thursday night!) was working last night, but I was trying to play with some settings on the bench tonight. I was enabling/disabling throttle protect, 120% overspeed, but nothing too crazy, and all "no-load" bench testing. However, I wasn't paying attention and disconnecting the USB-TTL programming cable each time I went to turn on the battery and then test the controller.

I went to do a reprogram, and XPD software no longer recognized 'COM PORT5' on which the USB-TTL cable had been communicating. I tried my second computer that has XPD setup, and still nothing. I go to turn on the go kart, and I get no response. I'm REALLY hoping that the controller issue is because of the throttle settings I was playing with. I think, however, it's probably the cable.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any advice? Is there a specific reason to think I fried the cable, or the controller, or both?

I'd feel terrible if I screwed our team's chances in the powerracingseries.org just a couple days before competition, so I'm hoping I can get this figured out. I'll keep trying things on my end, and I'm communicating with a couple people to see if I can have access to a cable at competition, but please chime in if you have advice.

ttobiassen said:
Any advice?
Ya - tell us where you are - fill in your location in your member profile (click 'User Control Panel' at top of page).
Then maybe someone nearby can lend you a cable in time to figure out if it's the cable or the controller...

• Where.png

Update: resolved*

*The cable was indeed toast. I remembered that user Lenk42602 was local to me, and I was fortunate that he had another cable sitting around. However, after confirming that my cable and software was working by test programming another controller, I then tried to revive the questionable controller.

Something on the controller side is NOT right, because this caused one USB port to give me a surge warning and another computer just crashed to blue screen. I will likely investigate whether this is easily fixable, or perhaps send it back to Lyen for repair.

I'm still probably going to get the situation fixed in time for my competition, however, due in no small part to Len being nearby and so helpful. Helps to have friends on E-S :)

Back